[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New AC2 Track

New AC2 Track

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

New AC2 Track

Postby MikeySlotCars » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 am

Been at it for a few months now & it's time to start showing my new track layout

It's an AC2 track which give the ability to race 4 cars at same time on a 2 lanes track , although my track looks more like a 4 lanes (~80%) it is in reality only a 2 lanes track ,
the 4 lanes parts are for passing other cars which is done automatically by using the carrera go analog change lane tracks , how it works is that every time a car run into the change lane track it hit a switch that rotates at such that the next time a car crosses this piece in the same lane it will take the other exit

Since I am using AC2 & 2 cars in the same lane all you have to do if you want to stay in the same lane as the car in front of you is follow it really close "bumper to bumper" or leave a little bit of distance between you & the car in front of you which will then change lane for you & give you a change to bypass the car in front of you

Ok now let start the pics...

I got back in my old room where I used to have when I had my 3 lanes track
The table frame is 5'.9"x12'.6" using 1"x3" & some wheels on the back so I can move the table
back & forth when I need to work on it

The Room

The Table build

Using a light switch cover to use as a shimming for table legs so it will all be equal height when screwed

Have to use a piece 2"x3" as my floor is not straight because of a water drain

put some 1"x3" straightening the table legs

Mikey
Last edited by MikeySlotCars on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New AC2 Track

Postby MikeySlotCars » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 am

I am also using Artin pit-lane track for my circuit as it give me the ability to have a pit-lane for each cars (4)

The track...
Starting tracing for borders/aprons

Testing where I'll put my supports for the track elevation

Elevation build started

Done

Starting on my borders/aprons using foam board

Done

Taped my track to protect the rails & started the drywall compound

All done

Cleaning up the track & edges of the rails before painting

First paint I'm using a flat black as primer (2 coats)

Gray paint 3 coats (just 1 coat on this pic)

3 coats done & tape removed

More on the track later...
Mikey
Last edited by MikeySlotCars on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MikeySlotCars » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:00 am

Wiring of the track... (Was done before the drywall & painting)

Measuring where to cut & add power taps wires

Using iron to weld all wire tips so i have solid contacts

Now this is a savior to go working under the table :D

Power taps lane 1 & 2 ("4 lanes")

Power taps wires all the way to the front power connection

Starting to cut for wiring starting track & opening for pit-lane flippers to add later on

Connecting the starting track & power taps together

Starting on my power stations

Diodes in series so I can reduce voltage

Connecting

Fixing the stations on my table

Power supply's 2x 16.5v ac 2.44 amps one for each lane (2 cars)

More later... on how everything works with the stations
Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 am

Very nice build up. Should be a nice lesson for new track builders. I can add a tip that will work for some layouts and builders. If your track is of a similiar design with a front stretch and back stretch, you can make a change that eliminates getting under the table for wiring.

My current track is long with a back stretch and front stretch. I incorporated a "gutter or trough" into the table top. Just a 4 inch wide opening from front to back of the table somewhere near the middle of the length.. There is no top on this "gutter". I have taps going to the back stretch and to the front stretch. The taps exit out thru the bottom of the gutter at the front of the table. I got a Pro Motor 4 lane wiring panel from Ebay and put it under the front edge along with the power supply. I have all wiring in drop down panel at the front by the gutter. All controller connections run down the inside of the front table framing and connect to the terminal. All wiring is accesable without going under the table. When it was all done, I cut a couple pieces of 1/8 underlayment to cover the gutter where it is not covered by the track.

The drop down panel is just a 10 X 6 flat panel with a hinge on the back side so it can be lowered in the front and make wiring easy to get to.
I have found that getting under the table is no fun and this keeps everything at the front or on top.

I will take some pics of this and add to this thread later.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:28 am

nice work, Mickey!
i am a little bit surprised of seeing Aftin track being used.
that 2 to 4 lane piece is from a power passer set? the ones that already were AC, right?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MikeySlotCars » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 pm

MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:49 am

now i got it. the piece of track looks the same as mine, but the manual flippers are different, where the car enters, that´s why i got i wrong. thanks for the explanation and showing this detail.

that´s a nice setup you got there! :D
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 am

Mikey,

Your track is truly awesome! Do you have to do anything special to the cars for them to run on the same lane? Is there a lap counter that works with AC2?

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:43 am

Nice work Mikey, looks like you got nice flow on your layout, I like it.
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Great looking build !!!!!
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 am

For some reason I am not seeing any pictures?
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 am

Very impressive effort here. Congratulations on a great track. Also thanks for sharing the details of your system. Priceless.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:31 am

That is awesome work Sir! Glad to see the AC2 is working so great! Nice layout as well.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby viejoronnie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am

Very nice work. I have followed your build closely as I am designing an Artin 1/32 AC2 system.

I would like to see if I could work out a lane change system where the car hits the lane change section at high speed and the flipper is forced open by the momentum of the car. After the guide passes the flipper, a flat spring closes the flipper back to close off the straight. To make the lane change, the car slows down to such a point that its momentum does not open the flipper.

I think there was a set (Cox 1/43???) in the 60'-70s that had such a manual lane change. I am thinking I might be able to modify a Scalextric lane change section to join with Artin; make my own routed lane changer; or perhaps a 3d printed version.

I am thinking about a old school Lionel 1033 ac train transformer. What transformer did you use for your system?
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale