1st 1/43 Little Monte Carlo Rally proxy, September 2018.

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Postby LloydL » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:11 pm

So here it is, after years of talking about it, I have finally decided to go ahead in September 2018, exact date still to be set!

Ever since I built my 'Little Monte' 1/43 slot rally track (very loosely based on the Col de Turini stage of the Monte Carlo Rally), in 2010/11, I have wanted to run a proxy on it. I kept putting it off until 'the scenery was finished', which it still isnt, but hopefully, will be in time for the event.

In 2015 I did run a stage of the Gentlemen Drivers (French forum) Carrera GO Rally Proxy on the track and was surprised how well most of the cars managed what is a very challenging track, with a fastest time of around 25 seconds. Since that time I have deepened and smoothed out the slot and regularly run cars with ordinary guide flags.

To ease people into trying 1/43 slot car rallying I will run 2 classes:

1/ 1/43 scale models of any actual car that competed in the Monte Carlo Rally between 1950 and 1986. There will be concours marks for the cars in this class that will count towards the overall result. I will go into more detail about eligable cars, available bodies, wheels etc in future posts.

2/ Ready to run 1/43 Carrera GO and SCX Compact rally cars. (Only rally cars} These will need replacement rear tyres to help them on the steep gradients, and may require a little added weight and some trimming of the guide pin. I will go into more detail later.

That gives you 9 months, so plenty of time to build your rally team, you know you want to!

Regards, Lloyd
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1st 1/43 Little Monte Carlo Rally proxy, September 2018.

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:45 pm

I am in
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 am

as long as i can enter a Mini, i´m in. :D
i need to get a stock rally mini, hm.... is the addition of a rotating guide okay for that class? to keep it simple, maybe pin guide only?

great news, Lloyd!
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 am

Great news Lloyd!

Have you got any thoughts about how many cars per entrant?

Not so keen about stock Carrera class but scale class sounds great.

I got the Alpine ready, Kadett GTE which color I haven't decided yet so I could go for Monte Carlo look

and Heller Lancia Delta S4 which should be eligible too.

Cheers

Aki
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

I will be putting more info up later Aki, but I think 3 is a good number of cars for each entrent and you already have your 3!

Peter, of course I expect some minis from you, bout correct for the period, and that means skinny 10" wheels and tyres! But after my next post, which will explain just what works on this track, andwhat doesnt, you will find that skinny tyres are the way to go.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 pm

10" wheels? skinny tires???
Dear Lloyd, i´m not sure if 10" wheels are possible. at lease with the boxer motor the size is limited in the small direction.
Skinny tires, okay, that is possible and no problem, even if the Desmo will eat skinny tires for breakfast ;) But we are talking about the Little Monte here.
How skinny is skinny?

Btw, i found an Renault R5 turbo in the project stack which i wanted to do for a long time now. This should work as well, right?

What about the DNano Lancia Delta HF Integrale? this is too young right? The first Deltas would work, but not the newer ones with the flared wheel arches ...
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 pm

It is possible Peter, I have run scale sized wheels on minis. For rallycars I sometimes use wheels from the diecasts that I have moulded from, including minis.

I will be discussing what works and what doesnt, as well as posting lots of sources for photos and ideas over thenext day or two.

regards, Lloyd,
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:52 pm

RULES POST

1/43 Little Monte Carlo Rally proxy, September 2018.

The event will take place on the Little Monte slot rally track in Norfolk UK during early September 2018, on a date yet to be fixed.

The track is a scenic single lane routed MDF rally stage with a track length of approximately 85 feet. The layout is 14' x 3' and the height difference between the lowest and highest points on the track is 5'.

The track has copper tape, so traction magnets will have no aeffect.

This is a mountain rally stage built for 1/43 scale slot cars and is very loosely based on the Col de Turini in the French Alps. The track is challenging to drive and the fastest lap time so far has been around 25 seconds.

*NOTE*: This is a rally proxy and, as such, your cars will driven as quickly as is reasonably possible around a very twisty and sometimes rough stage that is 6' from the floor at it's highest point. The speeds are slower than that of a racetrack, and most 'offs' usually just result in a spin rather than a fall. I have never had any cars damaged whilst driving on this track but the possibility is always there, so please bear this in mind before entering!

Entree fee: 10 British Pounds (up to 3 cars max.). To cover return postage.

The Classes: ( to be run separately)

1/ 1/43 scale models of actual cars that competed in the Monte Carlo Rally (Rallye Monte Carlo), from 1950 to 1986 (inclusive).

2/ Any Carrera GO or SCX Compact RALLY car

Rules

Class 1

1/43 scale models of actual cars that competed in the Monte Carlo Rally (Rallye Monte Carlo), from 1950 to 1986 (inclusive)

Body: Hard plastic or resin, no vacforms.

Body screws must be taped over if loose.

Interior: Must have interior detail and 2 crew.

Chassis: Free

Motor: Free

Tyres: Rubber or urethane.

The cars in class 1 will be judged in a concours for accurate representation and quality of build before the stage part of the event. The concours points WILL count as part of the car's overall placing.

Class 2

Any Carrera GO or SCX Compact RALLY car, standard/stock apart from:

Urethane rear tyres (recommended)

Coat front tyres with varnish or CA.

Added lead to chassis.

Body screws to be taped over if loose.

Fitting flag guide to Carrera GO cars. (optional)

All cars will have a practice session followed by 5 timed laps, the fastest of which will determine placings in class.

In addition, in Class 1, the car's concours score will affect it's overall placing.

Please Note. As this track is different to others on the 1/43 proxy calender, I will be posting further notes about what seems to work best on this track in the next few days.

Regards, Lloyd.
Last edited by LloydL on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:19 am

great set of rules by now, Lloyd!
do you have a link or a list what cars actually ran the monte carlo rally in those specific years?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:20 am

I should be posting some links later today Peter.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Eligible Cars

Here are some links to a site that I often use to check which cars entered for a particular year. These are for 1986, 1965 and 1950. To see a different year, open one of these and change the date in the address bar at the top:

http://rallyemontecarlo1950.unblog.fr/

http://rallyemontecarlo1965.unblog.fr/

http://rallyemontecarlo1986.unblog.fr/

I will be adding more sources as I get them.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm

A very good source here, passed on to me by Erik West. This one has all of the entries in the Monte for all years:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/14 ... arlo-1965/

Regards, Lloyd
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks for the link Lloyd, realized that I have a Renault Alpine A310 which I can build to go along with A110.
Third entry is still open, lot of choices but i have to say that I'm really looking forward this race!
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 pm

thanks for the links, Lloyd!

found that i can use the Renault R5 Turbo (Heller kit) :D

the 3rd entry will be a Go! car with light kit (actually an old build were the lights are not the fine, but still working great).
to decide if the Subaru or the 205, both quick cars with a SlideGuide already fitted.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Thanks all, I found myself watching hours of video and there are plenty more that I have not seen. Gives us lots of choice and it is good to see you choosing cars already!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale