[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Roger Penske's Can Am McLaren

Roger Penske's Can Am McLaren

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Roger Penske's Can Am McLaren

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 pm

I got the Roger Penske Sunoco Special done. Still need to add Mirrors and fix up the pin stripping a bit the photo is telling me.

I never had a proper decal set so I improvised and used some 132 scale stuff I had laying around. Call this a close facsimile

Follow up on the Lego wheels. I was able to order rims directly from the lego store. They come in 9mm OD as shown in the picture, and 11 mm. So I ordered a bunch of both. 120 rims for $20 including shipping.

I also got into tire casting mode and made a new urethane to fit these rims. I also believe my original Barc Bites will fit on the 11 mm rims nicely.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Roger Penske's Can Am McLaren

Postby BazingaRacerX » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Very nice!
BazingaRacerX

Postby vonsirius » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:21 am

Cool as usual! :text-bravo:
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 am

very nice car, Dan!

what did you do to fit the wheels to the axle? i think the Lego wheels will have a bigger diameter than the usual 2.38mm slot car axle.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am

Terrific! Lego wheels and tires! Terrific. :)
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 am

Nice work Dan!

My kids got a ton of Lego's and I have noticed that there is some nice looking wheels on some of the cars.
Lego racers , small ones.
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:13 pm

the brass tube with 3mm outside diameter or 3.2mm? i´ve both on the net.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:37 pm

I am going to be building another chassis tonight. I will caliper the tube and post some pictures to demonstrate how I make these work. I have ordered the 11 mm diameter wheels as I think they would be better for the rear wheels. So my plan going forward 11 mm rear, and 9mm front for these Can Am cars
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Ok Here are a couple of pictures.

I use 1/8 brass tube with an ID of 3/32. I cut off a sleeve from the tube. Using CA in the bore of the wheel I push the the 1/8 tube( sleeve) into the Lego wheel bore. It fits perfectly, and it is easy to get a true wheel. Once the CA sets up I now have a 9 mm rim with a 3/32( 2.38mm) bore and it fits standard axles. I will clean this up with a cutting wheel in my Dremel to give me a flush surface.

These rims are perfect for 1/43 scale Can Am cars.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:37 am

thanks for the pics and the explanation, Dan!
now there is only one question left for me: how do you fix the wheels on the axle? just push-on or glue with CA?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:16 am

Peter

I use CA to secure the wheel to the axle. It usually holds well, but can be broken loose when you need to.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale