[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - CAN AM LOLA T70

CAN AM LOLA T70

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

CAN AM LOLA T70

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:57 pm

The next Can-Am car to get finished is a Lola T-70 . I used some creative licence and have this car wearing #1. I am doing theses cars for the SIPS Proxy and I want the numbers to be different. One of my Chaparrals is already wearing 7. John Surtees won a season in the Lola so having it wear #1 is not that far fetched.

I am now using Brass and a gift card for Chassis construction. Pretty much all of this class of car will be running this chassis.

And now the car

The car is being powered by an N class motor in an angle winder configuration. The wheels I bought in bulk from China, for less the 40 cents a piece. Rear tires are BARC Urethanes, and the front tires are tires that came with the wheels cut down to ride up in the wheel wells. One of Peters designed braided guides is being used up front.

The shell is a resin home cast painted with Acrylics. Decals are from Pattos. The striping is done with white decal paper. I vacuum formed the interior and windscreen using left over food containers.

I also built a new vacuum forming set up for doing these small items. I went to Micheals and bought a wooden box that was 2" X 3". I drilled the top full of vacuum forming holes and built a frame out of wooden novelty chalk boars I bought from the dollar store. Total investment was $11. The small size means my heat gun is enough to soften the plastic and I use my shop vac as a suction source.
Last edited by BARC 1 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: CAN AM LOLA T70

Postby bigman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 pm

I also built a new vaccum forming set up for doing these small items. I went to MIcheals and bought a wooden box that was 2" X 3". I drilled the top full of vacuum forming holes and built a frame out of wooden novelty chalk boars I bought from the dollar store. Total investment we $11. The small size means my heat gun is enough to soften the plastic and I use my shop vac as a suction source.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:text-goodpost: First off your car turned out great, nice work. :text-bravo:
I'd like to see some pictures of your
Sounds like a great project for cheap :clap: .

bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Here is a picture

The box was hinged so I glued the halves together. Drilled a hole for the shop vac hose, and then drilled the top face full of holes.

The master is placed on the top deck and the vacuum installed and turned on

The 2 wooden frames used to have a piece of chalkboard in them. I removed the chalk board and then had two wooden frames. The forming plastic is placed between the frames and clamped together with spring clamps. I then use my heat gun to heat up the plastic sheet. Once the sheet is pliable I move it over top of the master and the plastic is sucked around it.

Very simple and inexpensive, and with it being so small, you can make use of left over plastic packaging. I find it a great way to make windscreens.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:19 am

great idea on the small vac formet, Dan!
i might cooy that.

The Lola looks great. i like the color combo!
will be interesting to see if the xars are on the same level of speed with all the same chassis and parts.

small mistakes by me made the 3 Exige very different to drive. took me a couple of hours to get them run even. one even had the pinion pressed on a tad to much, slowing down accelaretion just a little so i suspected a fail in the motor itself.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:39 am

Really nice car Dan!
Maybe smaller wheels would look better and would make the car sitting lower, but who cares when it looks that great!
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:24 am

I agree on the wheels. They don't look period correct, and I had the same thoughts as you when seeing how the car looked in the picture. I think I can lower the body more , but ultimately I may opt for a wheel change.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BazingaRacerX » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Nice car!
BazingaRacerX

Postby FC47 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Lookin good!
My first car was a Lola,
Like the vac box too, well done!

Paul