[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Kleskun Hills 2017 Race

Kleskun Hills 2017 Race

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Kleskun Hills 2017 Race

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:44 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Kleskun Hills 2017 Race

Postby LloydL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Brilliant race and Video Dan, thanks for all of your hard work.

Congratulations Roland, great win with a great looking car!

Well done to all the other competitors, a memorable event!

Regards, lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Congratulations to Roland :clap: , and Dan and Randy too.

Thanks for hosting this race again Dan, nice work with the video.
Agree with Lloyd, somehow this felt a special event with most active members currently of this forum all taking part.

Nice to see that my Ferrari found some grip and surprised to see that it was faster than Porsche.
Maybe 8/23 gearing would have suited better to this track than 10/23 it had.
Guess the soft tires on Porsche isn't working like I imagined.

Cheers
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Congratulations to Roland and the podium!

Awesome video work, Dan! It really is great to watch!
I guess the PDRT needs to rework the design for running on carrera track ...
MORE POWER! j/k LOL!!!

Thanks for hosting a great event, Dan!

multiple deslots? Then my Porsche is doing the C9 trick from LeMans? :D
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:43 pm

I would like to thank you guys for taking the time to send in cars for me to race. I believe the cars entered are really showcasing what some of us are up to in 1/43 scale.

I have some notes in front of me and I will try to give some feedback on the cars

First off Cars 1 through 5 all drove extremely well.

1.Rolands DTM was smooth and quick. It ran the course at the lowest voltage setting of the group. Well balanced it was comfortable to drive fast.

2.The BARC Lexus was at the opposite end of the voltage setting and had one of the highest settings. It needed all the voltage to get the Minebeas S can running fast enough to challenge the chassis. This car is smooth and easy to drive as well. I will ship this to Peter for his Proxy. However if it can't see 13+ volts it will be rather easy to drive.

3.Randy's 962 was smooth and fast. The top 3 had less then a second between them after 50 laps. That tells you that the order between them could easily be shuffled.

4&5 Rolands's Camaro and Peters Cuda were solid and handled the track well. In hindsight perhaps they could have been run at more then 12 volts as they never presented any problems on the track,but over 50 laps were just slower then the cars ahead of them. An extra volt might have put them under the same blanket as the top 3. However a deslot pretty much ends your chances

6 The Barc Cayman was smooth and seemed to be on its edge, it just wasn't fast enough.

7 Aki's Ferrari surprised me. I did not think it would finish ahead of his Porsche, but it did. Fast car that feels a little "heavy" when driving it Had one deslot with a front end push where it just hopped out of the slot

8. Randy's Lancia was not as smooth and it seemed to bind or lose some electrical conductivity at places on the track. It did this throughout testing, and I could not put my finger on what was causing it. I played with the brushes trying to find a sweet spot, but in the race the problem resurfaced. It had a Deslot on lap 47

9. Aki Porsche was a good enough car, smooth and quiet but I think the high side wings just presented too much top weight in the back end. It was a real tail wagger, and on one occasion deslotted.

10. The BARC Camaro never had enough speed with gearing that just wasn't working. Smooth enough but it desloted twice on the same corner. Just pushed and the front end desloted.

11 Lloyd's Lancia. Had some front end hop on acceleration, and this probably lead to the Deslot where the front end just pushed out of the slot.

12 Peters Rambler. Fast and quick, but the chassis has some track interference. This together with its low weight hampered it's times. It was the only car that had insufficient clearance on my Carrera track. Had three deslots
13. Lloyd's little Porsche is a fine car, but suffered because of its size and narrow tires. I had three crashes with it, and these were outright barrel rolls. The only car that had a little magnetic help because of the motor, but maybe just enough to give the driver a false sense of security. These barrel rolls all occurred going through the ess after going under the bridge.

14. The PDRT Porsche 917, just could not hook up at the track. Lightweight and poor traction lead to many spins where the car did not de-slot, but just got its nose pointing in the wrong direction for forward movement. I was running this at lower voltage to try and get the most out of it, and still have some speed. This driver could not get it under control though.

I did my best to get the best times out of each car. The varying voltage choices does add some complexity, but it makes driving them fun. Not only do you have to drive them well, but you need to find the right voltage for each car as well. So this is great for the driver, but it does put one more variable in the outcome. Did I get it wrong on a couple of the cars? As I mentioned earlier the only cars that have me second guessing my choice were Roland's Camaro and Peter's Cuda. An extra volt might have made them a little quicker to top speed, and could have improved their laptimes. The cars were solid and well planted throughout the race, and just came up short at the end of 50 laps. Aki's Ferrari may be in this group as well, but it did have a deslot with a front end push indicating to me the chassis was taxed at the power level it was run at.

Only my Camero deslotted on the inside lane. All the other deslots occurred when the cars were driven on the outside lane.

My observation is that on my track the lighter cars did not fair as well. The downhill grade into the hairpin caught out the lighter cars. When videoing and taking pictures I noticed some sheen on this portion of the track. Maybe I will repaint the entire track, to try and get a more consistent surface. Perhaps this is a track hazard as much as anything. It was the same for all entries though, and some chassis just seemed to handle it better.

Again thank you all for sending in cars. It was a pleasure to drive them, and as a builder it is really good to see what others are up to.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Thank you Dan for hosting another great event.Congrats to you and Roland for your finish positions. :clap: :clap: :clap: That video is over the top with what appears to be all the cars running @ the same time. :text-bravo:, that must have taken a bit of engineering/editing. Also thank you to all the entrants, it makes this a lot more interesting and a lot more fun with more entrants. Congrats guys. :clap:

Thanks Again
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:05 am

Nice video and interesting race to follow.

Good job!
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:51 am

I just read in some forums after a few days and found the race report.

Thank you very much, Dave, for your excellently organized and so well presented proxy with all the work you had !

Now, referring to a good old Beach Boys´song - DO IT AGAIN ! :text-thankyouyellow:

And thanks to all for the congrats !

Kind regards,

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:16 am

Dan, i think you did great on all the cars.
Speaking from experience on my track - the Cuda is a good running car, but not the top fastest one. Same for the Rambler and yes, it can have a clearance problem with the small wheels.
The Porsche is simply too lightweight and hard to drive fast in a consistent way. it likes a smooth track and it has never been run on plastic track. i think it would look good in the field of cars to be entered in the race.
I really hope you will run the Kleskun Hill Fun Run next year again, i will build a car for plastic track :D
this race helped me understand the lightweight is not always the best choice. There is a plastic 956 Heller kit in the basement that is crying to get a chassis. I think it will get a hybrid chassis - brass plate with printed motor and guide holder. Plus some BARC tires to hold the track :D

thanks again for this great race!

Ciao,
Peter
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks for the comments. My intention is to host this race again next year

Roland's winning car was a finely tuned remotored SCX chassis. This shows that it is possible to build a competive car starting from a basic production car. I am not sure what Modifications Roland made. Perhaps he could elaborate and give out a few pointers to those that might want to build a 143 scale proxy racer.

The bottom line was this car was easy to drive fast. It took me no time to get it sorted and start turning really fast laps

A couple of more participants would be great. So if you followed along and maybe want to dabble in a 1/43 scale car, please do. These cars look good and perform well on 132 track as well. Peter has a big ProNoMag event coming up in February. A slot car is a slot car, and building in 143 is not a whole lot different then 132. Unfortunately none of regular shops seem to dabble in 143 parts and pieces, so it more of an Internet cottage industry story. Shapeways, and a couple of European shops however do have most of what is needed for those that might want to try. The Carrera DTM cars are colorful and readily available. Seems like they would be a good place to start. Better yet would be an SCX Chassis, but they are out of production, so maybe not as easy to find.

It was a very good field of cars, with a lot of diversity. I was happy to get the specifics of each car posted. On this track it is clear that a 40 gram car with a low COG seemed to handle it best. One car did, and a few others came very close to having clearance issues on the Carrera 132 track I use on the front straight. I think I will determine the minimum clearance required and pass that along for next year's builds.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:38 am

Dan, would it be possible for you to post voltage and ohm (controller) for each car?

Thank You
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:59 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:08 pm

glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for the info Roland. I wondered what the idea of the foil was.

@Randy

I use Carrera digital chips for lane control. The controllers are Carrera controllers. I use the inherent voltage control of the 132 Carrera system that I have hooked up to a digital voltmeter. The range spans from 9 to 13.8 volts

I ran your Porsche and the Lancia at a setting just slightly over 12 volts.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Val

That was exactly my approach to this scale. I bought die cast cars and made silicone molds to cast resin copies for slot car builds

At first I wondered if the scale was too small for no mag racing. However the active 143 scale modellers assured me nomag racing was in fact possible,and I have been building nomag cars for a couple of years now. I have a model railroad as well so had some space constraints for a track. This is why I focused on 143. Since getting back into slot cars ,you know I am also dabbling in 132 again as well. This 143 track serves as a test bed for my 132 scale stuff. I like all slot cars, but I can tell you a well done 143 car has a real jewel like quality about it. It is hard to get as detailed as 132, but the size allows you some liberty to skip some detail that would be really hard to spot in 143
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale