Kleskun Hills Qualifying results

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Kleskun Hills Qualifying results

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:42 am

All the cars at the track have now been qualified. I would like to thank all of the builders for the great cars that were sent in. They were all fun to drive, and every one of them is a little jewel.

The Track is latex painted plastic and some teams did suffer from grip. In my opinion some cars were almost too light. The lighter the car the more trouble it had on the corner after crossing the bridge, and into the downhill run into the hairpin. This is the toughest part of the track, and it appeared that the heavier cars seemed better suited for this.

I had a couple of de-slots with some cars and a full fledged crash with the ARKAY Audi. This car can really move but like most of the smaller motors, a little weak in the braking effect. This fact caught me out at the end of the straight when I was pushing this car hard. Happy to say the car did not suffer at all from the event

So here is the current qualifying order with the two UK entries still to come. Top qualifier is the DF Porsche 962 with second and third going to the ARKAY entries. Congrats to Randy and Roland

The PDRT cars seemed light and I could not get the tires to hook up. However do not dismay as I believe the PDRT Rambler, and Cuda will be good on race day.

The Taskak Porsche also has some race left in it. Over the length of the race I am pretty sure I can get a rhythm going with this car.

The two top BARC entries finished qualifying with the exact same time, and I think the qualifying effort suffered, as I chose not to use max voltage. They were easier to drive, but in qualifying I should have been flat out with them

So can the UK car's knock the Dodge Farmer Porsche 962 out of top spot?

The DF Porsche is a Dslot bodied car with a Resin chassis. The weight and tire combo seemed just perfect for the track and I was able to drive this car with confidence this day. However all of the top half of the cars have the speed in them to race well. In addition qualifying was done on the inside lane, and the race will be run utilizing both lanes. This added variable may either help or hinder the cars, so the race outcome may be much different then qualifying.

In the race a de-slot will bring out a yellow flag. This means that your lap time will be affected by my reaction time to hit the call button and then again to restart your car. The times between these cars is not much, so any de-slot will impact the race result. I found the hardest cars to drive being the PDRT Porsche 917( poor grip), TaskAk Ferrari 512( Poor Grip) and the ARKAY DTM ( Weak brakes combined with lightning acceleration) The easiest cars to drive were the ARKAY Camaro, DF Porsche, PDRT Cuda, and my own Lexus and Camaro. So hopefully this feedback combined with the car specs will point to what seems to work best at Kleskun Hills.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Kleskun Hills Qualifying results

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:04 am

So everyone has the option of requesting different voltages for the race. I am the driver you guys are the team managers. I practiced with all the cars, and the voltages I used were based on getting consistent fast laptimes. Obviously more voltage will make the cars quicker, but sometimes that comes at a cost. It was harder to get a good rhythm going. So yes I could get a faster lap time, but the time over ten laps was actually worse.

Some cars had limits placed on the motors and I did not exceed what was indicated.

However you have seen the runs and the qualifying order . If anyone wants more or less voltage for the race let me know. I kept track of all the voltage setting for each car, So I can add a little more or remove some if you want.

I will most likely run My BARC Lexus at the Maximum 13.8 volts available, as I believe the chassis handling will allow this, and the Minebea S cans are only 15K motors at 12 volts. I have three cars in the field so I will take a chance with the Lexus.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Dan, i could not find the voltage you have been running the Porsche on, sorry. Do not go over 8V i would say. If you like the Cuda at 12V, go ahead with that voltage. I ´m running it with 10V here, but much depends on track condition.
Looks like to light cars, ey? Anyway, great videos and many thanks for your efforts!
Normally, i tend to dial down the voltage so i get easy car handling. The 917 is an especially light car, which can is a handfull under good track conditions, but it is also very tricky if it doesn´t like a track ...
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Final Qualifying results

Lloyd's entries never changed anything at the top so the DFR is the pole sitter with the two Arkay entries taking 2nd and 3rd.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale