143 Proxy thoughts.

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

143 Proxy thoughts.

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 am

Congratulations to Peter for hosting another great 143 proxy event. The 33 car field was impressive and the entries top notch.

I still plan on having the Kleskun Hills event in October, but I had nowhere near the entries that Peter received. This is understandable as it is a first event, and I also think that a lot of 143 scale stuff is happening in in Europe and the cost to ship cars individually to Canada could be prohibitive to some. I found the shipping rate to Europe are all over the place. To the UK and Finland the cost is less then $10. To Austria the cost is over $30. So depending on where you live the cost of shipping a car overseas could be hurdle.

Ideally if enough people were interested and we could get a couple of more events maybe we could start a series of races. For example after the ProNoMag, a lot of cars are being shipped to Lloyd for the UK slot car festival. All these cars can be shipped in the same box and it will reduce the cost of mailing substantially. IF we had a series of races then we could make use of this fact . ie. The ProNoMag becomes the first races of the year. The cars are then all packaged up and shipped together to the next event. This would keep the field of cars large, and because tracks are different,the outcome could be completely different.

Peter's race is highly successful and I don't want to mess with a good thing. However some more proxy racing would be fun so how do we go about building on this?

So my idea

I will be hosting a proxy race in October, and ideally I could team up with someone from Europe to run a race as a series with my Kleskun Hills Event. A track host steps forward and holds a proxy with the idea that all the cars will then be shipped to Kleskun Hills to run a second leg . This would reduce the shipping cost for everyone in Europe to participate in a race in North America.

Depending on what Peter wants to do I could even move the Kleskun Hills event to April or something, so that Peter could ship all the ProNoMag cars to me if that is something people might be interested in

Anyway I am just thinking out loud as to what we might be able to do to build proxy racing in 143. The 33 car field is encouraging and I am just throwing out some ideas for people to contemplate.

There is even the possibility at this time to say all the cars that are going to Lloyd for the UK slot festival could then be shipped to Kleskun Hills to participate in the fall event. Again if we can get all the cars amassed at one site in Europe, the cost of shipping the whole field together to North America is less then each car individually.

Is anyone else interested in trying to develop a proxy series, where your cars get to race on more then one track?

Cheers

Dan
Last edited by BARC 1 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 143 Proxy thoughts.

Postby taskak » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 am

More races would be nice, I don't have a possibility to host unfortunately.
But series I don't know.
In ProNoMag I had 1 good car and two not so good.
So right now I'm thinking about making a small adjustment to the Porsche and sending it to Kleskun race
with a car that I'm planning to send to next ProNoMag if it does well in Kleskun.
Of course if you car doesn't work well in a series of race you can always ask it to shipped back for tuning I guess.
So I'm interested definitely
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:24 am

i have no problem with a race series that includes Kleskun Hills and the Desmo as well as other tracks. We only to find hosts.
And clarify some basic rules, i.e.
- what happens if a team call a car home and it doesn´t arrive in time for the next race
- what kind of repairs are to be done or not (up to the host)
- who will collect money for the shipping?
- who´s reponsible for the money?

with a race series, there are many things to clarify in front and i´m sure that as many as would like to be part of it will maybe step back due to some unclarified minor things.

but let´s check interest first.

i´m interested in hosting as well as sending cars. (could be guessed, right?)
there has been a international 1/43rd race series before - SlotCarKing Cup (3 years or was it 4?) we had SCK Cup1, 2 and 3 for sure.
Liberty and JXR did the managing thing, but sadly no one still active. rules from that time were in the old forum, no one saved them, ey?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35 am

Take into account :

1. How many of this year´s pronomag cars came from overseas ?
2. To reverse this question - how many of them were willing to take part overseas ? No one knows.
3. Years ago there has been a number of proxies every year. Why do we actually have only one really permanent ?
4. Who makes the rules if there will be organized a series on different tracks ?

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Ok, I have hosted 2 international proxies and am more than willing to host another one, or more. In fact I may hold a little fun proxy with the cars that are coming to me after the Pronomag.

Another thought that fits in with Dan's suggestion is that, as I am taking some of the Pronomag cars to the UK Slot Car Festival at the British Car Museum at Gaydon, Warwickshire in May, and will have a track set up there, why not hold the second leg of the world proxy acually at the festival in future years?

BUT, something I found restrictive when sending cars on to the next leg of the proxy was NOT the postal/carriage cost, but the insurance. Sending a boxful of little masterpieces is scary. How much do we, the builders, value our cars? I definite topic for discussion I think. Personally when I send a car away to race, I feel that it would be nice to get the car back but, if something happens to it, it is only a toy car and therefore not important in the scheme of things.

I will be running a rally proxy in the not too distant future, but that would be completely separate to any event that we are discussing here.

I think that this is definitely an idea for discussion, but that brings up another point, WHERE should we discuss this? All the leading cars in the Pronomag this year were discussed and came together on the German speaking Carrera GO forum. There are some good proxies run in France, but discussed only on French websites. Spain is an active country for 1/43 but I know nothing of what goes on there. There is more involvement and activity in 1/43 proxies from Canada than the USA, why is this?

Where am I going with this? Well, I have been greatly encouraged by the recent improvement in quality and performance of the Pronomag entries and have asked Peter for more information about these impressive model cars, which he has done on another thread here.

I think that the 1/43 slotcar hobby, and especially the scale model car sector, has reached an important stage in its development that must be sustained and continued. SO, and I have reached the limit of my knowledge in these things here, is it time to have a separate International 1/43 Slot car website, where people of all nationalities can show their builds and voice their ideas, regardless of language, as happens every day on Facebook?

I repeat, I have no idea of what is involved in making a new website/forum, but I am sure some of you can and will enlighten me.

I will remind the readers that this discussion is not being seen by most of the Pronomag entrants from this year.

I will shut up now!

Best regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 pm

I guess my hope would be that those that are active on the other forums would be ambassadors and share this topic with others. I am uni- lingual and if you ask my kids I barely have that one mastered. So for me I am google translating everything , so I get an idea of what is being discussed, but I can't contribute on the other forums.

One of the issue with 1/43 is that it can get expensive when you start getting up to the quality of the cars we are starting to see. I have been building some 132 proxy cars and the fact is that parts are readily available at a decent cost. So 132 remains the primary scale in the US, but there a a few guys who dabble in both, and two 132 scalers have offered their wooden tracks as hosts tracks, and are quite seasoned at running proxies. Perhaps I follow up with them. It would be one way of getting some more exposure to the scale, and I think if some guys saw what a well prepared 143 car is all about they might gain some interest in them

I realize a box load of cars would be an expensive thing to lose. However I see no value in insuring them. Pack them well and spend the money to send them tracked package, and chances are they will be OK. For me personally if my cars got lost in transit, that is just the chance you take.

Lloyd If you want to run my cars at the UK show go ahead. Run them as Demo's or if you are inclined to hold a UK race consider them as entries.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for the offer to run your cars Dan. We are hoping to run all the visiting cars, but at a lower voltage. 99% of the visitors are slotracers, and the few that arent will get Carrera GO cars to try.

Just one comment about cost, the winning car had a stock Carrera GO motor and crazy, to me, 2:1 gearing. So success doesnt have to be expensive. I build on a very tight budget and regularly use parts that have raced before, so I do not spend much on my hobby. (just in case my wife reads this)!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:50 pm

short on time right now, just one thing:
another forum is bullshit. doesn´t make sense.
language is a very, very clear limit. the guys from DE who i know and talk to maybe know a little more english than you know german, but it´s the same everywhere. One of the reason why the ProNoMag is working is that i´m not only typing 2800 words in one language, but in two.
google translate doesn´t work good enough to have fun in a forum. language not according to the spell book is the limit. i tried to follow the french forum using google, but i gave up.
will come back to this thread about other things later.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale