Banked Curve Crash Walls

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Banked Curve Crash Walls

Postby Rinkrat99 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi all

I started putting guardrails/crash walls around my track and started with the first turn and came up with an idea of using poster board in 2" heights and them use logos to dress it up. Attaching I was going to use micro binder clips but have not found them yet locally. Mini's work for now. Any other ideas for Heavy Duty Poster Board (22" x 28" $0.99 at Target) to Carrera 34th scale tracks?

I cut them at work and developed the labelling to find out that when I add the 2" PB around the curve it does not follow the contour! :(

I did not realise the curve was not flat but banked and would cause this problem. I can do it in smaller pieces and then that may leave a V shaped gap between wall sections. I guess I can dress it up with a vertical support like glass on the boards of a hockey rink.

Any other ideas to wrap the poster board around evenly?

Thanks
Rinkrat99

Re: Banked Curve Crash Walls

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Hot glue
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 pm

On my HO track (now a memory only), I used drywall shims from Home Depot. They are gray cardboard about 1"x36" and about 1/16" thick. They gently bend pretty good at that radius. Work wonderfully on flat curves and pretty darn good on the banks. The gray color looks like concrete. Can be cut with x-Acto or good scissors. I cut a slant at the beginning and end of the curve to blend better. I attached the walls with Scotch double stick foam tape. Holds up well and can be easily repaired. Stickers adhere well too.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Thank for the advice. I was looking at that also but chose the $0.99 Heavy Duty project board which sounds similar, maybe a bit thinner than 1/16"

I chose 2" walls due to a 5-6 foot scale factor down to between 1 1/2" and 2 1/4" inches for realistic look. I also just looked at the initial slant at the start of the curve but have not figured out what to do at the top of the curve to make it astecially pleasing. I was thinking do it in chunks of 1 curve at a time too. Or try and figure the curve angles and make the top of the curve level and the bottom fit the contour. Not sure how to figure that yet though. Might take a 2/45 curve and trace the top on paper and then level the top. Not sure looking for ideas.
Rinkrat99

Postby MikeySlotCars » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:13 pm

You can use 1/2" to 1" thick Depron foam it easy to cut & should be flexible enough for the curves
The + side is that it will help the cars not to get damage in case of a crash , you might break the Depron wall but they are easy to replace/fix

Scroll down post #6
--> http://www.circuitsroutiers-gentlemendr ... m?start=20

Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi MikeySlots

I have picked up some of that material from shipping cartons. I was thinking of using it on the straights but opted for Vinyl Appearance board from Lowe's. This is hard and firm and since its on the straight should not be an issue for crashes. I used this and drilled 1/8" flag pole holes, the foam would be a bit harder to do this neatly.

I agree the curves would be easy to manage and 1/4" to 1/2" should suffice.

I will see how the poster board works and let you know in crashes. Its not a permanent setup so the foam may not be suitable for mounting. I am going to try and figure how to better cut the banked curve walls. Need to try some templates

Thanks
Rinkrat99

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale