[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Newbie looking to scratchbuild

Newbie looking to scratchbuild

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Newbie looking to scratchbuild

Postby Matt_Slots » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 am

I originally posted over at Slotforum, but Lloyd directed me over here. I must say, I am impressed with all of the awesome cars all of you are building! I started with carrera go this past fall when I got a set for my son's birthday. Now I have the building bug. I've looked at the chassis on shapeways, but I don't see a lot of places to get bodies. I saw some bodies for sale at hotlapsracin that looked interesting. Sourcing small things like screws and tires seems challenging. I'm just not sure the best way to start out. I have some static modeling skills because I used to build 1/48 scale aircraft a lot.
Matt_Slots

Re: Newbie looking to scratchbuild

Postby btaylor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:20 am

You might try here.http://homeracingworld.us/viewforum.php?f=58
Our build off has some very interesting builds going on in many scales! you should be able to pick up some great info. I know I have!
Hope this helps

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Matt_Slots » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 am

I'll check that board out, I didn't even know about it. Thanks.
Matt_Slots

Postby pfuetze » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 am

Hi Matt,
a good place for the small 1/43rd things is CarGo in Germany, www.slotcarparts.de
for bodies:
go to youtube, search "dillerman2" - Tilo has some awesome bodies in Norway
or go to ebay and search for 1/43rd modellkits from Heller or AMT, maybe Academy.

what kind of car do you want to build?
Claus in Germany is also casting 1/43rd bodies, he has a Lotus Exige, Opel Manta, Diplomat and Opel GT, VW Beetle 1303,
i will try to get a list

Ciao,
Peter
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Matt_Slots » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

Peter- Thanks for the info, as far as construction goes, do I need to know what body I'm using before I start/get a chassis?
Matt_Slots

Postby LloydL » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:33 am

Hello Matt have a look at Ebay, you may find some bodies on there: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1% ... s&_sacat=0

Regards, Lloyd
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am

There's a lot of resin casters on this board.....Maybe you could just post what you'd like to build!!!!!! :D
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Matt_Slots » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:57 am

I am definitely looking for Porsche- either 911 or 917. I could go either way really.
Matt_Slots

Postby LloydL » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 pm

LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Guildman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Matt, I can confirm that 1/43rd is a great world. Builders welcome, few items to take your money. Self reliance is essential, but so much more fulfilling. I can confirm that as I know Lloyd well and have driven for the proxy he held with my son and so have driven many 43rd scale cars from all over the world on Lloyd's "Little Snetterton" track and his punishing hillclimb track. All the cars are great fun and we also drove some on the big, fast Norwich 1/32nd scale track where the speed and handling of the little ones amazed the club members. If I hadn't amassed so many 1/32nd scale resin bodies from people for whom I used to make master patterns, I would be one of the growing band of 1/43rd lovers. The main beauty of them is that you can mould off a diecast (of which there are thousands) into resin.
Lloyd and others on here are your willing mentors.

Cheers,
Martin
Guildman

Postby LloydL » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:56 pm

Come on Martin, you know you want to! <G>. And you do have several 1/43 shells!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:29 am

Matt, you can start with whatever you want ;)
But if you build a chassis first and than decide on the body is maybe not the easy way to do things LOL

will send you the contact data from Claus in Germany, he has some Porsche bodies, but please get in contact with him directly.

you can use different methods of getting a chassis for your new car:
- get a carrera chassis, (easy to get) no rotating guide, strong magnet (if you ´re into that), good motor and gears.
shortening or lengthening is quite easy to make it fit to another body.
- get a SCX compact chassis (harder to get), rotating guide, not sooo strong magnet, good motor and gears.
shortening or lengthening is quite easy to make it fit to another body.
- artin chassis or other clones from china: pin guide like carrera, mild magnet, big motor with no brakes, tires can be between not so bad and useless. chassis is easy to work with.
- get a 3D printed chassis:
there are some out there, universal ones with adjustable wheel base (i.e. from Immense Miniatures - Marc is great or from me)
and there are customizable chassis for all kind of motors - if you send me the measurements of the car you want to build, i will do a chassis.
- there is also a metall chassis out there - the Slotdevil Micro Chassis from slotbox.de
- scratchbuild your own chassis - a wide world, starting from sheet styrene to soldering brass ....
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Matt_Slots » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:56 am

First of all, I want to say thanks again to everyone who has responded to my initial post. I can tell all of you are welcoming, helpful people. I just bought some artin chassis, motors, and bodies off of ebay, actually the ones Lloyd suggested. Once they arrive, I figure I'll have some parts to work with and see what direction i want to go in. I am already thinking of adding a better guide system to the chassis. Now the wait begins.
Matt_Slots

Postby LloydL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Well done Matt, have fun!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale