Rate of rise (slope) for Track supports

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Rate of rise (slope) for Track supports

Postby Rinkrat99 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 am

Hi all

Is there a general recommendation for rate of rise of the supports used for Track supports? What is the height (2 - 3 1/2") of the 2nd level track overpass?

for example, three 342mm straights over a lower lane, would the first straight be at 1/2" at the start, another 1/2" at the end

Thanks
Rinkrat99

Re: Rate of rise (slope) for Track supports

Postby Rinkrat99 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:06 am

OOPS hit POST too soon. A 5% grade would be the 1/2" every 342mm. Seems a bit high but maybe we can go higher to 7.5% or 1" per 342mm straight?
Rinkrat99

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Depends mostly on what you want and the sight lines of your track. The old Artin and current Carrera bridge sections are pretty steep for grade, but have the advantage of no joint in the grade. The club I race in runs on a track that is Carreras and rises almost 2 ft in a twisty 3 ft run so it's pretty steep and doesn't use the bridge sections. Makes for interesting racing. However, it can feel like power loss if the car isn't geared well or if the joints are a bit loose. Jumpers fix all of that.

With wood, it's totally up to you. It can be made to do almost anything with the right scoring and gentle bending.

Also consider what vehicles you run. Can Am Chaparrals have high wings, and the Fly trucks are even taller....so enough clearance can matter.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:21 am

when using plastic track, i used to built spirals, multiple R1 turns, up to 5 levels.
Difference in height 3" per 360°.
makes approximately 1" per feet
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks I have built a few different height track supports using 5/8" square dowel with a 1/4" round dowel across at 1/4" below the top of the track which makes the post flush with the track. Putting them at 1" for each 342mm straight seems a bit of a strain on the rest of the track not supported. May need to start with a 1/2" then 1" per length of straight. I then supported each side of the 90 turn with the same height supports and just does not seem very stable. Need to figure a way of attaching the track to the support better. I originally was thinking a single threaded post at a few points with the thread going into the predrilled hole on the track for the Carrera but liked the idea of a 2 post system with vertical cross for support.

I am thinking I need a few sets of each height; 1/2", 1", 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" and maybe 3". That way it gives much better support on each end of the section of track,
Rinkrat99

Postby pfuetze » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 am

if you have Lego blocks, you can try the different rates of rise, they work great
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:25 am

That is a great idea for LEGO's. That would work for most of the supporting of the track section making the rise. What I noticed was that once I achieved the Rise, the turn which was the next section (2 @ 180 degrees) the middle of the turn would angle inwards towards the center of the turn leaving the inner lane at a lower height than the outerlane. I was thinking this may need to be an angled support or the lack of flexibility in the Carrera 43rd scale track casues a need to attache the underside with those premolded support holes (1/4").

Need to play more today with Legos

Thanks
Rinkrat99

Postby Rinkrat99 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 am

I used bolts with washers of various sizes to support the track, not too expensive for a solution to support the track. I used 1/4 x 1" and up to support with a standard washer to maintain support.
Rinkrat99

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale