Carrera Go Controller modifications

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Re: Carrera Go Controller modifications

Postby pfuetze » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:37 am

no, the turbo button keep unconnected.

here´s a link to Philippe´s site, great articles there, about track power connection.
there´s a schematic somewhere in the middle of the page which shows correct track wiring for brakes.
http://www.philippejmarchand.com/Slots/ ... age69.html
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks

I see now, the discussion moved off of the standard Carrera Go Terminal Track to a separate power connection to the track.

The schematic is rather confusing. It looks as though the Power Supply + goes into the WHITE lead of the controller. Black of the Controller comes out to the direction switch upper right. RED of the controller goes back to the PS - and to the direction switch upper left contact. In the normal position of the switch as shown, the BLACK Controller lead goes to the + terminal of the track in that direction (R) while the second leg of the track (-).

To me without the switch
PowerSupply + >>> Controller White >>> Controller Black >>> Track positive +
PowerSupply - >>> Controller Red >>> Track positive -

Not sure what the Potentiometer is doing in the Controller RED lead though? Is this an additional BRAKE to the Controller (if it has one)?

Thanks
Rinkrat99

Postby pfuetze » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 am

sorry for this one, could be easier, ey?

a quick search for "track wiring slotcar track" on google revealed:

http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/image/Wiring/Wiring.gif

i do not know the color of the wires on a Carrera controller to be honest, never had one in my hands. you do not need a potentiometer for the brakes, if you want to use them.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks found more schematics that make it much simpler. Waiting on receipt of the two Carrera Evo controllers from ebay and trying to determine what the best wiring methods will be. I would like to use the existing controller connector but need to find the mate for the terminal box I need to build or just go with standard or miniature banana jacks/plugs. I do not like the idea of the screw posts for alligator clips as they tend to come off and more potential for mis-connections. I could use a more standard 3 position Molex keyed connector for the male/females. I just hate cutting off good connectors. I did find the controller pins are approx 1.87mm which is a bit of an off size from what I have in stock. Most I have are from R/C cars at 3.5mm

I could use a standard stereo jack 1/4" would handle current
Rinkrat99

Postby pfuetze » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 am

stereo jack will be fine.
around here, i normally see banana plugs.
a good idea are XLR plugs.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rinkrat99 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi Pfuetze

Got my two Carrera Evolution controllers today. The pins measure 0.137" / 3.45mm OD which puts them larger than 1/8" and smaller than 9/64". Was looking at potentially using Molex female Crimp connectors mounted in a box but may have to rethink that idea as well adn use the alligators as a fallback.

I am confused on the actual pinouts on these controllers as the continuity between pins seems OPEN even when using the plunger.

Looks like they should be Red/White/Black with the Black being separated from the other two.

Now thinking about this circuit, I see it as the Brake is enabled when the plunger is UP and crow baring the power source. Is the inline fuse a re-settable PTC?

With a single Power Source such as the Carrera Adapter, BRAKE would short both lanes correct? What am I missing?
Rinkrat99

Postby Rinkrat99 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Forget it! Did not see the schematic opened the Brake from Power in. I took them apart and seem a bit dodgy on connections especially the contact to the wipers
Rinkrat99

Postby Rinkrat99 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi all

I got the Evo controllers work on the Go track without brake for now with jumper leads. I believe both controllers have an issue with a broken or weak wire connection after the coil and before the track. If I hold it just right I get it to work and the cars are fun to drive and hard too. Are standard EVO cars a bit jerky with these controllers? I may rewire bot with Carrera GO leads since I have them with a 2nd set of new controllers. Or I could just throw a 10 ohm or 22 ohm in place of the stock 33 ohms and use that for now while my daughter learns to drive but seems like EVO without rake might be hard for her.
Rinkrat99

Previous

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale