Running the BARC Porsche 917

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Running the BARC Porsche 917

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Had a nice surprise arrive in BARC's Brass-Am entry. He included his 917 that he custom built and asked me to give it a run.

This chassis is interesting with the material combinations he used.

The little motor is also an interesting outfit. It's a tiny little rascal but it works very well on my track.

This car ran great. Very smooth and much easier to drive than I expected. Good balance of weight and power IMHO.

Thanks for sending this in! I am supposed to run the Brass-Am but I'm not sure :) Having a ball with this little car.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Running the BARC Porsche 917

Postby dreinecke » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Nice work all around! That's a scratch build!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks for running this on your wood track Harry. Just trying to let guys know a couple of 143 builds might be fun, and you don't need to have Magnets and loops in 143 if you don't want to!!
Glad to hear you are having fun with it.

This car was slated for Peter's Pronomag in February but 3 other cars had better times, so I thought I would send it along to you with my 132 entry for demonstration purposes.

That is the Gift card chassis, but I am modifying it to be completely brass now that I have had couple of brass chassis under my belt.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:53 pm

[quote]to be completely brass now that I have had couple of brass chassis under my belt./quote]

I thought that might happen :D

In any case, fast or slow...the fact you did it is what counts.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:51 am

Amazing work in that scale!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:09 am

The Barc Team aquired a new test track, so?
Including one of the best test drivers known out there?
We will so how the 917 handles the Desmo, i´m really looking forward to it! :D :D
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:48 am

Peter

You will receive 3 similariy prepared cars, but the 917 was bumped out of contention during testing so will not be making the journey to the Desmo. The 917 is a little heavy and kind of a tail wagger. Fun to drive though, but gives up some lap time to the other cars I prepared

All the entries have this motor though

However my plan was to get you to send my entries to Lloyd for his Graydon show. Perhaps this 917 could come along for the ride but would not compete in the race. If you wanted to shake it down and test it on the Desmo, I of course would have no issue with that.

Re. Test Driver and track

Harry's feedback is greatly appreciated as BARC Racing tries to close the gap to the top echelon teams that compete at the Desmo track. Our goal this year is to rise to the middle of the pack with these scratch built BARC powered and shod cars. Has BARC done enough?. We will see in February at the 2017 ProNoMag hosted at the Desmo circuit.

The challenge of proxy racing and preparing cars has enhanced my enjoyment of this hobby and I encourage others to send a 143 car to Desmo for the February 2017 event.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Dan, the 917 is a great looking car and i always like to run some good handling cars.
personally i think that too much weight is not really necessary, but this is only applicable for my track and i really know this. Each track offers its own combination of grip/smoothness/bumpiness and maybe more. driver capabilities of course, too.
Additional weight, if not needed to lower the CoG, will only push the car out in the corners and slow acceleration and lengthen braking. therefore maybe, the 917 is carrying a little too much brass on its belly to get fastest lap, as you already experienced on your track reading your words.
I´m looking forward to the varity of cars for the race, so.
Peter
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:10 am

You are correct that this car is a little on the heavy side, and most likely why it was outpaced by the other cars I am sending. However it has a low COG, and because of this it spins flat and is very predictable. You are in complete control with no surprises. You find the limit and then just drive it there. I'll send it along as a non competitor.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale