Installing a rotating guide on a Go! car

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Installing a rotating guide on a Go! car

Postby pfuetze » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:32 am

As i got some request about the question how to install a rotating guide on a Carrera Go! car, i want to share what i´ve done to some of my Go! cars:

1) First of all, normally, the front mounting stem has to be removed and glued back into the body in position 4 to 8mm more to the back of the car. Simple drill a new hole in the chassis, use the screw to hold the cut-off part of the body stem in place. Add a piece of styrene tube in the correct diameter to the cut-off-piece of the stem to get enough length to slighly touch the upper part of the body. Fix the tube to the cut-off piece. Use 2K epoxy to glue the stem into the body.

2) not remove all the parts from the brushes to the copper strips, the small parts, only leaving the motor.

3) cut away excessive material around the front area where the guide cables will need space for movement.

4) add a piece of sheet styrene with a hole for the guide stem on the underside of the chassis to get the right height between chassis/guide and track. maybe file down a little of the sheet styrene later. Front wheels should both the track.

5) use 5K expoxy around the sheet styrene to strengthen the guide area

6) solder cables to the motor.

here are some pictures:

Used guides: in most of the pictures, you can see a SlideGuide installed, they work great for 1/43rd cars, too, even if designed for H0. How ever, as the depth of a 1/43rd track is deeper than the SlideGuide, i designed some guides and printed them on shapeways. They reach deeper in the slot and there is variant availble that uses braids instead of the motor wires directly. Of course, you can also use a 1/32nd guide, but i tried these as well and normally, you will run into space problems with those.

these are the guides i designed:

Ciao,
Peter
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Installing a rotating guide on a Go! car

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:47 am

A much needed tutorial Peter.

Thanks

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!