[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Proxy racing in 143

Proxy racing in 143

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Re: Proxy racing in 143

Postby LloydL » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:28 am

I understand your thinking Taskak, and the Carrera GO proxy offered 2 classes, stock and Modified and it worked fine. BUT, that was on rally tracks, no magnet, and with urethane rear tires, the pin guides worked fine. On racetracks, especially on Peter's wood track where magnets have no effect, a pin guide car can be a real handful.

Part of this problem is that pin guides are usually mounted well back in the chassis. This is an advantage on my rally track, but not on racetracks.

At first, I suggest that a proxy for similar type cars would make sense to get things rolling.

Without naming another forum on here, it is worth a look at the top of the 1/43 forum on the other US based forum, as it lists some of the previous proxies that could be interesting to revive.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 am

And as usual it begins - discussion about the rules...
As I wrote - nothing has changed, as often as proxies have been discussed yet.

Once more :

THE HOST SETS UP THE RULES.

Everyone who does not agree with this or that, or wants this or that, may hold his own proxy and see what happens.

Roland

Whereas I myself fully support Akis idea of a "real scale" class for detailed cars.
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Ok, I have ordered my timing hardware but have to wait for the Canada Post strike to be over before it can be shipped. Knowing that the track will be ready with an adequate timing device I am working on the rules of the inaugural Kelskun Hills proxy race.

Here is what I am thinking

1. Cars must be 1/43rd scale with no magnetic traction
2. No chemicals applied to tires or braid are allowed
3. Voltage the cars will be run at will be determined during testing. The voltage that returns the best lap times will be used for qualifying. If there is a specific max voltage you want( Max voltage available is 13.8v) then this must be indicated with the entry
4. Silicone tires, PU or rubber will be allowed
5. All tires have to touch the track
6. Cars will run 20 qualification laps on lane 2 prior to the race.
7. Cars must get a fastest lap in under 7 seconds to qualify for the race. (Stock Carrera magnetless car)
8. The race winner will be determined by the best overall time to complete 50 laps( 25 on lane one 25 on lane two)
9. A special contest will be held to determine the most scale like car entered. Winner will be determined by the host.
10. Entries will be limited to 2 cars per team.

I would like to leave the entry open to cars with a guide pin to include as many as possible. In the event that a lot of entries are received, I may reserve the right to separate the cars based on guide flag type and run an alternate class at the same time.

I am running chipped lanes on my lay out, and the power supplied to the rails is through stationary decoders. I do have the ability to set the max acceleration and braking. I will practice with each car and adjust the setup to suit the best driving style for the track . I am not allowing magnets as they would create excessive amp draw for the electronics I am using.

There will be a random draw for prizes and the winner will only get bragging rights for a year, and nothing more unless his name is drawn. Only the best looking car will receive a prize based on effort and scale fidelity

Please feel free to comment on these rules. I think they are pretty open and allow everyone to participate. I may run out of time to get a race in this year,( Darn Postal strike) and I don't want to crowd Peter's event in February. If I can't get this done October/November 2016, I will run it in October 2017

So let me know if there is something I should have added in the rules, but missed because I am green at this.

Cheers

Dan
Last edited by BARC 1 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:36 pm

This sounds good Dan, but to invite comments on your rules is asking for trouble. Best to just state that this is the rules and see what people send. If they are 1/43 scale cars, they will all fit within certain dimensions anyway.

Now I must get building!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Yes Lloyd, I suppose you are right. I m not too interested in changing them much, but there might be something simple I overlooked.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Definitely interestd Dan, like you awaiting the outcome of Canada Posts Friday Lockout.
Hopefully all will be shortlived and we can get on with things.
Meanwhile if you want to use your spare time cleaning up my bodies, I'm ok with that lol.
All the best
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:00 pm

There are a couple that are just about ready for paint.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:02 am

sounds great, Dan!
unlimited number of entries per Team?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:29 am

Good catch Peter. That is the kind of observation I was hoping for. I will limit the entries to two cars.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Proxy racing in 143- INTERMEDIATE STATE

Postby walker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:26 am

Well, I think it is time for a first résumé...

Since BARC ( Dan ) opened the thread, 11 ( eleven ) people took part in the discussion.

- Three of them said "YES" spontaneously.
- One might give it a whirl
- One could be tempted to build a car
- One thinks about an own proxy, if.......
- One thinks about taking part in the next Pronomag
- One "is interested".

One suggestion for a drag race proxy, including the word "scale", did not even cause the tiniest reaction.

One member wrote six replies,
two members wrote four replies each
one member wrote two replies.

The last reply was written on the 8th of July.

If advanced, the main discussion for sure would have been about the rules.

Actually no new proxy, Peter´s Pronomag still being the only one.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Proxy racing in 143- INTERMEDIATE STATE

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:59 am

Dan, I hope I did not misunderstand this topic.
It is intended for general discussions about proxies, isn' t it ? Excluding hosts' rules of course.

Or was it designed for your personal proxy only ? I don't want to misdirect anything.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:15 am

Well it was intended for Proxy discussion, but what I learned here from you and others, was to just go for it, instead of fruitless debate. So I am forging ahead. It does not mean this topic has to die, and my hope would be that others show interest to help make proxy racing in 143 part of the hobby. I personally think it adds purpose to builds, and can be a large part of the fun. I will do my best to make it an entertaining event :D

Added text

To further the discussion on Proxy racing, I will add my opinion on this topic as to why it is important.

As stated above, building a car for a Proxy event adds some purpose to the act of building a car. Since's Peters event this spring I have entered one 132 digital proxy, and am building a car for the 132 Panamerican event. I like slot cars of any scale, but would like to be an ambassador for 143. I have been finding myself getting more involved in 132, and my interests are now including 132 again. I have built (3) 132 chassis for testing and not a 143 car in a month. Using my own experience as an example, you have a guy who jumped into the deep end of 143 and loving it, but the lack of proxy racing has me looking over the fence at 132 which has lots of proxy racing and reasons to build cars. I would like to see the same thing in 143 develop as well. If we have a few proxy events a year, I believe it would encourage participation and growth in the 143 side of things. Not only that, a lot of 132 guys like slots cars of all scales as well. Some 143 events might foster some cross scale participation that would be good for the hobby in general. 143 cars look very nice on 132 scale 2 lane track, and any one with a 132 set up could easily build and run 143 scale cars. I now have my go track set up to run 2 132 scale cars, although they are almost trading paint as the distance between the slots is pretty tight. My front straight is Carrera 132 track though so there is good passing opportunity there

So for the purpose of discussion and to move the topic away from debating rules,( which we all seem to agree is rather pointless) I post these thoughts on the importance Proxy racing has on the participation in the scale.(IMO)
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale