[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Proxy racing in 143

Proxy racing in 143

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Proxy racing in 143

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:24 am

I have been following some proxy racing in 132 scale, and was wondering if it would be possible to generate some interest in 143. I submitted a 132 digital car and was going to enter the 132 Panamerican with a 143 scale car, but decided it would be better not to muddy the scale waters too much. So what do we need to do to get proxy racing active in 143?

Peter runs his Pronomag once a year, but as far as I am aware there is little else in 143, so it appears as if we have lots of room for events on the calendar. My thought is to hear some suggestions and I myself might hold an event in the fall to balance out Peter's event in the Spring

So if you have an opinion on 143 proxy racing I would be interested in hearing it.

Things that need to be discussed are.

Guide flags
Magnets
Tires
Motors
Scale deviation

To start the balling rolling I will offer up my opinions on the above.

Guide Flags- Yes
Magnets- No
Tires -Whatever you want as long as the tires does not leave residue on the track. I used to run silicone tires but now run urethane as it seems to be the most acceptable. I never had an issue with silicone tires myself.

Motors. In 143 scale we are kind of limited to what we can use and fit in a car. I am of the opinion this can be an open class. There is more then enough power to send 1/43 scale cars hurling so the motor choice is more about control then speed in 143.( NoMag anyway)

Scale-wise, I know what I like, but am not opposed to slightly disproportionate cars to open up the field a bit. My thought would be to have a scale winner to reward those that put the effort in to building cars where attention is paid to the scale like appearance. On a one event race, the track owner makes the choice, with his own cars not allowed in the contest. If the proxy event is held across numerous tracks, then each car can be scored by the track host with the winner being declared at the final race.

So is it possible to get enough interest to in 143 to have a more vibrant proxy environment or not? I am going to work toward hosting a 143 proxy event this fall. I need to get a proper analog timing system installed that properly records track times. Currently I am running a digital timing system, and I have to add on this analog requirement.

Peter runs a successful event, so maybe all we need to do is adopt those rules and see how many other tracks are interested in hosting an event.

Anyway I would like to hear some other opinions on this, and maybe even some ideas of where 143 has failed in attracting proxy racing so we can learn from what doesn't work. Maybe it will all come down to the numbers. There just isn't enough of us

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Proxy racing in 143

Postby LloydL » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:11 am

Ok, here we go! I did my first 1/43 proxy in 2011and have sent cars to various proxies every year, except this year when, for personal reasons, I was not able to take part.

Why is there only one 1/43 proxy a year? There isnt. There is only one international proxy race a year, and that is Peter's excellent Pronomag on his fantastc Desmo track, but there is at least one proxy race a year in France and sometimes one in Germany.

It does appear that entries to the Pronomag from the USA and Canada have dropped off recently, could this be because of the recent increase in postal charges. Or could it be because the event does not cater for the types of 1/43 racing that most people prefer on the other side of the pond?

Not so long ago there were several 1/43 proxies in the US, mostly for cars with magnets, and of series that were only popular in that region.

Is it time to consider reviving proxy events on a regional basis, rather than worldwide, and to encourage ALL 1/43 enthusiasts, not only scratchbuilders? This may go some way towards reviving enthusiasm in our hobby.

So I ask the question:

WHAT KIND OF PROXY EVENT WOULD MAKE YOU, THE READER, WANT TO ENTER?

Please give it some thought.

Regards, Lloyd
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 am

While I am primarily a 1/32 and HO scale racer, HRW member ourwayband put on a great 1/43 drag proxy last year that was a LOT of fun to be part of!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12661&hilit=Possum

It would be cool to see another HRW 1/43 based proxy come around, and depending on what the rules are, I might just have to give it a whirl! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby walker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:17 am

A proxy

- with strict, clear rules that are not to be discussed, because nobody is forced to take part

- With rules that open the way in a direction similar to 32 nd scale: REAL SCALE - models, not improved toys

- in which SCRATCHBUILDING is the focus, not only "scratchbuying and scratch - altering".
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Why discuss again ? How often has been discussed yet, and with which results ? The same procedure as every time .

The host makes the rules.
Those who don't trust in the host's abilities to make rules need not participate.
Those who again and again have an axe to grind shall organize their own proxy.

The most work is with the hosts. They lay down rules, they organize everything. And if their rules are not suitable for someone or everyone - well, this does not necessarily mean they are bad or wrong.
If the rules are not "good enough" to take part - well, less work then...:mrgreen: .
It cannot be the job of the hosts to adapt the rules to everyone's personal taste.
It has to be the job of the potential participants to accept them and build / race or leave it.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:21 am

I have only raced 1/32 and am slowly getting into 1/24 a bit, but I think the best approach to this is for someone to set up a proxy. If you hold it, they will come. You need to decide on a set of rules that will include the widest range of cars and contestants but give the proxy a focus. I run the GVSCC Targa proxy that is 1/32 scale. The car has to have competed in the Targa, but otherwise it is a rather open proxy. A similar idea would also work in 1/43. It might also give a boost to interest in that scale.

I have enough difficulty seeing a 1/32 scale car to work on, but I could be tempted to build one for a proxy.

It is good to see this discussion taking place, and I will gladly add your 1/43 proxies to our proxy calendar.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:56 pm

I have not seen much discussion on proxy racing since I have been active on this board. If it is a rehash then I am sorry but the fact remains there is not much proxy racing in 143 boards that I do frequent.

I think you are right Roland though. A host just needs to show up, lay out the rules, give a date and see how many entries show up. Still it might be nice to know what the majority would want to see.

I am going to try and get a nomag proxy going by the end of the year, but I need to get proper analog timing system installed before I go any further. I was using the scalextric air on my tablet, but it doesn't cut it for an event. It is good for single running of cars, but when you want to store and showcase results it falls far short of what is needed so I need to upgrade. Digital I am fine, but not for analog.

So for me the first event will be a fun run Nomag event. A one track affair to keep the logistics simple and cars can return home after the trip. Prize will be determined by a draw, and the better times will garner you nothing more than bragging rights. I don't even think I care about guide flags. I have run stock Carrera cars on my track without issue so far, although maybe when you pull the magnets they go squirrelly. A nomag with a guide pin I have not tried.

I think proxy racing is important to the health of the scale.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:12 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nothing to add.

Roland

Oh yes, one thing yet, Dave :

It is time to host a 43rd scale drag race again, however not for anything Artin related ( neither motors nor chassis nor anything else of these toys ) but for real scale appearance.
This does not only include sizes and measurements, but also car classes / styles.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:36 pm

And no magnets! :D :D :D

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MichiganCur » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:39 pm

I've honestly thought about putting together a artin class proxy. But I need a better timing system... Maybe even split it into 2 classes, stock and modified. And with any type of racing (imho) the simpler the rules the better. In my house that would be pretty easy... Assuming the forementioned timing system.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MichiganCur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:12 am

proxy? anyone said proxy?
i´m in ;)
ProNoMag 2017 - February 19, 2017
rules - same as this year. tested and work (for me).

Dan, Magnet cars with guide pins are okay. You will not want to run a no magnet race with guide pins. I tried and stepped away.

And i agree with Roland: the host sets up the rules.

have fun!
Peter
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:12 am

proxy? anyone said proxy?
i´m in ;)
ProNoMag 2017 - February 19, 2017
rules - same as this year. tested and work (for me).

Dan, Magnet cars with guide pins are okay. You will not want to run a no magnet race with guide pins. I tried and stepped away.

And i agree with Roland: the host sets up the rules.

have fun!
Peter
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:46 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:45 am

I agree with SGD. Make the first proxy relatively light on the rules side; that almost always makes for a larger group of participants. Tighten it up a bit if you have rule-related problems with the first proxy. If not, then leave them as they were. It's easy to get people's attention by tightening up rules, it's difficult to get their attention (usually done in an effort to get more participants) by loosening them up.

And I think that retro's "Field of Dreams" comment is correct.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:49 am

Pretty well all of the proxies are light on rules! The only rule in Peter's Pronomag is quite literally, no magnets.

What I was suggesting is for people to put on other proxies for those who prefer, for instance, to run Artins, or Artin based, cars. Or, as I took part in not long ago, a Carrera GO proxy, with or without magnets according to the organizers preference. Or any other 1/43 car combinations.

I was certainly not suggesting changing the rules for any of the current scratchbuild proxies. I believe that more of these type of proxies would be a good thing, especially after seeing the very high standard of entry in this year's Pronomag.

I have said before that I was planning a rally proxy on my Little Monte track, and have held a stage of the Gentlemen Drivers Carrera GO Rally proxy on there. I have been improving the track recently and will be announcing an event in the not too distant future.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:00 am

I've been thinking about entering Peter's next Pronomag and Lloyd's rally proxy sounds great.
Peter's rules are ok to me but would it be possible to set different classes on one proxy?
Something like scale racing class with detailed cars, open class like pronomag rules and maybe something for pin cars.
Results for overall race and in class.
I don't know does this make any sense and I can't host a race but just a thought.
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale