[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Permanent Go! track...

Permanent Go! track...

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Re: Permanent Go! track...

Postby MikeySlotCars » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:51 am

Yeah! pressed wood as we call it here...
Problem with this is it's not flexible , break easy & still have the same toxic glue that there is in MDF
But I appreciate your input

I'm going to try what I think that might work but I won't have time to try that before the midle of next week since I'm working through out the weekend , so in the meantime if anybody have any other ideas I'm all up for it

Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BazingaRacerX » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:32 pm

This is an awesome thread. Really appreciate the photos and how-to commentary. :text-thankyouyellow:
BazingaRacerX

Postby MikeySlotCars » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks!

I'm not sure when I will have update photos , I'm working more hours at work since we have the inventory coming soon but I'll try to do some work on my track & post updates when ever I have free time to do so...

Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:54 am

great looking track and really nice cabling work!
i´m sure the track will be awesome when finished!

for the run-off areas - i think i remember that Philippe has used some foam with a sticky back side from MasterMcMar (or something like this - it´s too long) that is normally used in or for cars (?). height perfect for Artin track but if i remember right, Go track is slightly higher? width was available 1" or 2". sorry, been too long.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MikeySlotCars » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks! pfuetze
I hope it's going to be at least good looking when I'm finish...

As for borders (run-off) I'm back on using foam board I found a good solution to make it work (more on that later this week) so far it looks good but I still have a long , long way to go...(big layout)

No need to say sorry for been to long , it's ok I appreciated & welcome any ideas or commentary that can help me or any of us in this scale

Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Somerset48 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Great looking project and some very nice tips. I too am looking for apron material for SCX Compact track. Experimenting with foam core board, etc. I have a buddy with a thickness planer who has volunteered to trim some masonite or similar wood. I would then have to cut pieces for the aprons. A lot of work so not sure if I go that route.
Somerset48

Postby chappy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:16 pm

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/neoprene ... _rolls.htm

Another product to consider for aprons is neoprene rubber. One example above.
It can be bought in rolls and has a self adhesive back. It goes around corners and is available in various thicknesses and widths. I used it on my original scalextric track. It comes in black.
it can be cut with a utility knife.
Just a thought.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby MikeySlotCars » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:35 pm

MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dc6287 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:39 pm

I use the neoprene for borders 1/2 in all the way around with more 1/2 or 1/4 in in the corners depending on the needs. Works even better with a lite coat of exterior trim paint on top :D
dc6287
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BazingaRacerX » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Any more pics? Like to see how you did the aprons.
BazingaRacerX

Postby MikeySlotCars » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:12 pm

No pics right now but soon (few days to a week) I had to make a small (minor) change to my track & I bought a digital change lane & then removed the electronic in it to be able to use it with my track since it will be AC2 track system...
I still have to buy another change lane track since they only function in one way so I got to put another one in my layout reverse...

Borders (aprons) are taking longer , much longer then I though it would take me but it is coming on nicely about 2/3 done right now...

I miss so much having a car on the track that I'm about to make a small layout on the floor or somewhere just to make a few laps :auto-driving: , I just can't wait to have my track done...

Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BazingaRacerX » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:39 pm

Looking forward to seeing and learning more.
BazingaRacerX

Postby MikeySlotCars » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:22 pm

More updates...

While doing the aprons (borders) I decided to go AC2 over digital mainly because I'll be racing on my own most of the time & I don't see much of my friends anyways (we're all busy with work , family etc..)

I first add one crossover (x) on my track then bought a digital change lane that I modified to use it with a push on switch that will be on the controller...

I then remove everything that I'm not using but kept it somewhere safe in case I do go digital later on I could always put it back in & use it as digital change lane...

I then use rubber band to get the solenoids back in place after it been activated

Word of caution: Have a very light tension with the rubber band I mean almost none (loose) the solenoids doesn't need much to get back in place
Also don't use voltage over 7 volts otherwise they'll become to hot , anything between 3v-7v will be fine (depending on the rubber band)

Then add wire to the solenoids & some hot glue to hold the wire in place , also cut out some plastic for the wire to get through

Done now it's an "analog" AC2 change lane...

A little bit of painting before put it in the layout

Back in the layout & holes done under the table for the wires that goes all the way to the station...

While doing the aprons (borders) I realized that one part of it was to close from my upper level so I had to short my straight a little bit (I also short my pit-lane area)

Before...

After the change...

Redone the aprons...

Now what I'm using for aprons is foam boards & insulating film tape , mounting tape & drywall compound for the finishing touch
I first made all my model template for the curves & then just draw on the foam board

The tape...
-Mounting tape is higher & with the foam board it almost comes flush to the track so you will be using a lot less drywall compound
-Insulate film tape is very thin & the foam board will be much lower then the track & you'll be using lots more of drywall compound but the finish surface will be more even & could look better?

Your choice...

Adding tape to the foam board (aprons)

For wider curves just make the aprons much larger & then cut out the extras once you put it on the layout...

Straight Aprons cut following the curves...

The drywall compound I use...

Now if you got some parts that lift up a bit just use some super glue

One part of the track that I did not use any drywall compound yet is because I'm waiting to buy another change lane track so I can still change lanes when I go in reverse direction

For now I just use masking tape for the joints & paint over the tape & foam boards..

That is it for now I should post some more pictures hopefully this week-end when all the track is finish....

Mikey
MikeySlotCars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Great how to..You are going to have one nice set up

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:55 pm

very nice work, Mickey!
with all that work, you could have done a wooden track, too! ;)
and if you liked magnetic downforce, you could have used magnabraid :)

great how-to!

i like the way you did your aprons!
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale