Ford-Porsche Wars 2017 - The Builds

Here we go! Round #2 in what started last year as a proxy duel between both builders and marques.

Re: Ford-Porsche Wars 2017 - The Builds

Postby Mitch58 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:44 am

The Eldon 906 is almost identical in size to the Fly 906 model.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 am

That is good to hear Mitch, as my Porsche 906 will be an Eldon body also. I picked one up and debating on what chassis to go with.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:19 pm

I used the 3d universal chassis as it was already built for another class at one time. But either the MRRC Sebring or the MRRC Clubman will fit the car and the existing body mounts. If it's not too wide the MRRC Monza will also fit.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re:Porsche 718 Chassis

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Thought I would proceed with the 718 chassis. Sorry Allan, no gift card in this build.

This is the same basic design as the gift card chassis using brass plate instead of a gift card. The Twincan design supplies enough torque to lift the guide and front wheels on hard acceleration, so I wanted to try and do something with the chassis to deal with this. I used a hinged brass plate to carry the motors with a spring adjust. Works like a ladder traction bar in a drag car. Instead of lifting the weight off the front end the spring absorbs the torque and the front end stays planted. This gives full acceleration out of the corners without deslotting.

I am having a lot of fun getting the most out of these small motors. This new chassis is the new record holder of the 15 lap test runs I do, beating out the Avant with the orange can. The Avant never really gets to stretch its legs, so the extra grunt and RPM the motor has never really gest utilized. The Twincan on the other hand is always running in its sweet spot. These little Minebea S cans are a good motor. I bet running them at 18 volts would really wake them up. At 12 volts they never even get warm. Of course RPM is directly related to Voltage supplied, so I am guessing these motors would be pushing 24 K at 18 volts.

This chassis leaves lots of room for an interior, which I hope to do well for this 718.

Last edited by BARC 1 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Dan, you beauty!!! This is something I have to see in real life...WOW! what tension is the spring/shock. Well done!!
CARacing has to learn a lot still...

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 am

BARC 1, I'm really enjoying your 'outside the box' thinking on this and just now looking at it this thought crosses my mind. If you had a spur on each side and one motor facing the opposite way and some sought of independent rear axle arrangement and the motors wired in such a way (I'm not sure if it's series or parallel) that the current is shared evenly in a straight line but unevenly when cornering then it would be a bit like having a limited slip diff. Hope you don't mind me adding these thoughts and good luck with your wee car.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:21 am

Well thank you Clive. The spring is quite soft. On the lowest setting it just barely keeps the motor plate flat. Tightened to its fullest the chassis becomes solid.

Wobble

Funny I was thinking the very same thing. The Two Lego blocks could be used to house two independent stub axles with crown gears on each side. The motors are wired in parallel , and when used to power a common spur gear the rear wheels turn the same speed. With independent spurs you would probably end up with each rear drive wheel turning at a different speed. ( not much chance of getting two motors to turn the same speed)This might end up making the rear end skate around a bit. The idea is worth having a try though. Not sure what the results will be, but that is where the fun is and the lap times become the judge.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:21 am

There's some very nice innovating going on at British American Racing! I think the brass chassis looks good. And I like Wobble's idea/yours, too.

Since we have a few months left to get the cars to Round #1, I think we may see some of these other ideas materialize, which would be nice.

Another way to go might be to think about a piano wire/brass chassis; one that could help to damp out the front end situation with a little less weight.

Looks really good, so far!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 am

I think this car will be really underpowered when compared to the other motors that can be used. But to stay true to the Porsche principals, I am having fun try to come up with something that these small motors can push along a little quicker. I know this car will not be near the top, but wanted to build a full interiored 718 which the small motors allow for, even in a car as small as the 718.

When I was checking out the specs I discovered the wheelbase of the 718 is exactly the same as the 1965 911, so I used a 911 shell for this layout. A little bit of a gamble, and I am hoping the resin shell is close to scale. The front bearing blocks are just held in place with a drop of CA until the shell arrives.This allows me to easily break them free and adjust if required. They will then be fastened to the brass with a screw once the wheelbase is confirmed.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 am

Decisions need to be made. Which one will race along side the #33 917? We know both cars will be silver when complete and wear the #111. We will see
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:09 am

Hmm, these two Porsche's look like they've had a visit to Weissach. My vote is for the 908/02 K on the left.
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:10 am

One vote for the MRRC Porsche 910.......

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:49 am

I've been kicked into high gear Porsche style!

Fellow enthusiasts, Audi1 and Brumos RSR have offered enthusiasm and sent parts (thank you Tony!) to my Fly 908/3 make over - wahoo :dance: and... I've decided to forge ahead with scale updates!

Qs - I'm still new at this tuning thing, requesting input
Looking at the venues this race series is going to run on (medium to long routed über cool wood tracks) do I need to change the guide? I only have a Carrera track to test on.

What I'm planning to use
- Factory Fly chassis and rear pod, planning to glue the two together, stiffen chassis and float body.
- Solid front axle, 14 x 8 CB design rims, PGT 20105 front tires.
- Slot.it rear bushings, axle, (open on gearing options but focused on 12/34), 15 x 12 CB design rims, PGT 20126, or 21126 rear tires.
- Slot.it orange 21,500prm motor.

Guides
I'm at a loss for choosing the right guide parts, only because this is my first attempt at a Fly mod. The orig looks small and floppy.
- What guide part(s) and or specific suggestions at SlotCarCorner will work for upgrading this Fly chassis to successfully test on my Carrera plastic and also work on routed wood for racing?

Slot.it SICH07 Wood track guide
Slot.it SICH06 Long shaft guide (read this might work)
Or leave orig Fly and shim, plus add new braid, what braid?

Gearing
I've read that a sweet spot for gearing on similar sized routed wood tracks for the Fly 908/3, 908/2 is 12/34T (7.5mm NSR pinion) and 34T (18.5mm NSR). Is this right, 18.5mm spur or do I need 18mm? The smaller rear spur will give me the option to configure the rear tire diameter and shape to match scale.

If I do go this route with gearing changes, will these work on the Fly rear pod?

Spur
NSR 6134 Spur gear, 34T, 18.5mm
or
Slot.it GS1834, 34T, 18mm

Pinion
NSR 7112 Anglewinder pinion 12T, 7.5mm (I can't seem to find a sidewinder 7.5mm 12T)

Sorry for all the questions, any insight and advice are very much appreciated.
Cheers, Thompson
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Well I thought I would try something I have never done before, and try to carve a slot car body. I did a 132 BRM and it turned out OK so I thought I would try a Porsche RS60. The existing shells available look a little on the plump side to me and it seems like a good car to try and do. I downloaded a set of drawings and am starting down the path of a completely scratch built car, knowing if this fails StudioRS and Shotgun have my back with the offer of a resin shell

Here is where I have got to so far.

After I took away everything that didn't look like a RS60

Working on the rear deck lid

This master will need to be filled, sealed and sanded, and the detail lines scribed in. I will then make a mold and pop some resin shells to use as slotcars.
Last edited by BARC 1 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Well done Dan!!!
:clap :clap: :clap:
Master builder of note!! I'm following this one closely. Super job to now!!

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Ford-Porsche Wars Proxy 2017