A new Porsche for BrumosRSR

Share your build process step by step
Forum rules
Open to ALL SCALES!

1. Pictures of your starting materials. Choice of body, Chassis type and material (brass, plastic etc.)
2. Pictures of the tools you will be using, and any alternative ways to do the same thing. for example, tubing bender versus bent around a screwdriver handle. etc.
3. List where parts come from, or where they can be purchased from, or if they are homemade.
4. As many pictures of the build during the whole process as you can.

A new Porsche for BrumosRSR

Postby gascarnut » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:06 pm

You may remember I did a brass inline chassis for BrumosRSR (aka Tony Palmer) a while back?

Well, here's another one for him, this time a full sidewinder. The SRC Porsche 910 body is plenty wide enough to accept good-size rear tires.

Top view:

Tony will no doubt provide wheel inserts when the car gets back to him. Those are Thunderslot wheels on it right now as far as I know, with their rubber front and rear.

Underneath:

Sloting Plus guide, and Slot.it 18mm gears.

The chassis details:

Much the same as most of my latest frames, with the guide being mounted on a central "spine" to allow some sideways movement. The front axle runs in a tube but the wheels rotate independently (sort-of). One wheel rotates freely on the axle, held in place by a thin washer soldered to the end of the axle, the other wheel is locked to the axle to keep the whole assembly in place. So the axle rotates with one wheel while the other wheel is free. It works well and makes it easy to change the wheels.

I soldered the motor into this frame, rather than have a separate plate to screw the motor on. With the Slot.it gears and pinions all the same size, there's no need to move the motor, and this saves weight and space.

Track test tomorrow, then it's off to Tony.

Hope you like this.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: A new Porsche for BrumosRSR

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Love the inspiration!
I have one, and it's pretty quick with the stock motor and chassis in our Fly Classic class.
I would love to hear about the track test since I bet that's a rocket!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW All Scales Build-OFF!