[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - CARacing -1968 Karmann Ghia

CARacing -1968 Karmann Ghia

Share your build process step by step
Forum rules
Open to ALL SCALES!

1. Pictures of your starting materials. Choice of body, Chassis type and material (brass, plastic etc.)
2. Pictures of the tools you will be using, and any alternative ways to do the same thing. for example, tubing bender versus bent around a screwdriver handle. etc.
3. List where parts come from, or where they can be purchased from, or if they are homemade.
4. As many pictures of the build during the whole process as you can.

Re: CARacing -1968 Karmann Ghia

Postby ccobra » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:45 am

Wow, that is looking good. It reminds me of my son's best friend's Dad who had a stock looking Karen Ghia, complete with a flower vase and flower on the dash. It had one of those 2.3l engines from Porterville, CA in the rear. He took it to the drag strip down around Bakersfield where the track officials put him and his VW up against a Dodge viper. Well the VW blew the doors off the viper and the track officials made him put in a row bar if he decided to return. He ran a low 11 quarter mile and now he's running in the 9's thanks to a little boost pressure.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:37 am

Hi All,

Some progress was made over the last week or two. The final height and curves and wheel arches and windows and and and....were sanded to the correct dimensions. I made the silicon mould and we are now ready to produce the first resin body.
This is the final buck:

This is the silicon covering the buck whilst curing:

This the buck removed from the mould:

Thanx for following my story!

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SLOTTING SINCE 1963 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:53 am

Nice work Clive !!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP GOOOING !!!!!!!
SLOTTING SINCE 1963
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

I am anxious to see your casting, and if you have any intention of selling a few of these. I still have one of these to do, but if yours is looking good and available.................................

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanx for the compliment Dan!
Let's first see if you would be happy with the shell....
The previous models came out pritty good, but still plenty of work to be done before prime and painting. They are quite rough when casted, but detail that was crafted on the wooden buck, is all on the shell. The first cast of this baby if for Gavin (my brother), as this is his all-time favourite car...and we needed a challenge for this feed. All should be revealed by the end of the weekend.

Thanx for watching!

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SLOTTING SINCE 1963 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:30 am

Confirming my order.
Thanks
Richard
SLOTTING SINCE 1963
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gsmea » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:34 am

Ahhh my Boeta.
This is looking spectacular so far. Keep up the awesomeness.

Gavin
gsmea
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:08 am

Weekends are just the BEST!!!
With the mould and buck finished, I could cast the first body.

Buck, Silicone mould, Rough body....

The next two pics are front and rear of the body. Now the fine work starts where I have to sand and file off all the imperfections...detail, detail, detail.

and side view...

The sanding and filing are done with the help of water. This gives you a very smooth finish and all the detail then becomes more clear.

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gsmea » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:40 am

Amazing. Nice job.
Gavin
gsmea
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 am

Wow that is amazing. Believe it or not, but this is quite encouraging for me to finish mine which seems like a lot less work but still requiring a lot of grinding and sanding. Sure wish I had the skill to carve a piece of wood like you just did. Fantastic worm.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:09 am

Guys, I was reading this new info and I suddenly remembered I promised pictures of the K-G a while back. I apologise. I'll get down to the barn today and post this afternoon. Once again, I apologise. This getting old stuff takes some getting used to.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:31 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Now this is seriously COOL!! Is it running?
Thanx a lot!

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 pm

and when the bodyworks get a dit tedious...we start with the chassis, hahaha
I use 1mm PVC sheet and PVC-weld to build the chassis. Drill bits, scalpting knives, needle files...any shark object that will do the trick.

chassis pieces:

chassis constructed (not glued yet):

and so the story goes on.

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:58 am

and some more progress was made over the past two weeks...

some tools that I use include needle files, sand paper, etc, etc..

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW All Scales Build-OFF!