[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/32 Sportsman Galaxie

1/32 Sportsman Galaxie

Share your build process step by step
Forum rules
Open to ALL SCALES!

1. Pictures of your starting materials. Choice of body, Chassis type and material (brass, plastic etc.)
2. Pictures of the tools you will be using, and any alternative ways to do the same thing. for example, tubing bender versus bent around a screwdriver handle. etc.
3. List where parts come from, or where they can be purchased from, or if they are homemade.
4. As many pictures of the build during the whole process as you can.

Re: 1/32 Sportsman Galaxie

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:38 pm

That should make for a sweet looking entry!
(grabs popcorn and gets ready to watch!)
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks Todd. I think you will need a BIG bucket of it, with a tall Coke, Raisenettes, and a whitefish!

The rear of the body has a large structure that holds the trunk section. All of this needs to be sanded away and sealed for the mold, so here we go.

I thought I could just take away some of it, so I glued the trunk in place with Testors and then back sealed the area with resin. I used Smooth-On 65D and basically "painted" the area with resin using a disposable plastic paint brush.

That was not enough so I sanded it the rest of the way down and coated it once more with resin.

I sanded that and sealed with primer. Much smoother now and my inner plug mold will be cleaner and more uniform now.

Exciting huh? :whistle:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:26 pm

That's a LOT of work Harry! Nice job though, it will pay off I'm sure.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby CrockettNZ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:01 am

great work so far
I have seen how much work goes int getting a body ready to make a mold
and I am certain this will be a great looking body when done

I have got back from dropping the daughter up at the family farm which allowed me to pop into the only brick and mortar slot shop in NZ
so I have the parts I need to do my build

so will get started on it very soon
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:10 am

A little ahead of myself. I was asked about stripping the original paint.

I use common 91% alcohol in an old slot car lid. I let soak for about 8 hours and the original paint and markings are ready to scrub away.

After scrubbing I wash the body using mild soap and water. Dawn dish liquid in this case.

Body is very clean when completed.

Posted using Tapatalk Pro
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:14 am

This will make a very nice car. The master is looking mighty fine

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 am

Looking great harry.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby tjettom » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Harry, I'm hoping the next episode will be soon? Anxiously waiting for class to begin...
Thanks,
Tom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Well been busy with the Showdown Series cars coming in. Not sure when I'll get back to it, should be soon.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:01 am

So much going on, this got away from me.

But progress. Pin out time.

Wheel wells were sanded out and shaped to be even as possible. Pinning out the body over the aligned wheels/axles allows me to adjust the sanding where it is needed.

I used a small section of plastic sign material as a base to set the ride height. This will be how the body should be mounted when completed.

Anyway, finished sanding the openings. Also sanded to molding trim off the sides and door handles. Looks more like a veteran Sportsman body now. At least to my eyes.

Wet sand, clear seal, and wet sand once more and its ready for the silicone.

On Tapatalk Pro
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby glasshorsevh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:01 am

Ok, This one is bookmarked....
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:08 am

Thought you forgot about this one. PREP PREP PREP PREP PREP......The only way to a great finished product.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Didn't forget, just really got sidetracked.

And prep is right. Hope I did enough.

Taped and hot glued to base.

Guess we will tomorrow.

On Tapatalk Pro
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:14 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Mebrown » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for the tips. Seeing all you guys doing this stuff makes me want to give it a try some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mebrown

PreviousNext

Return to HRW All Scales Build-OFF!