[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/32 Sportsman Galaxie

1/32 Sportsman Galaxie

Share your build process step by step
Forum rules
Open to ALL SCALES!

1. Pictures of your starting materials. Choice of body, Chassis type and material (brass, plastic etc.)
2. Pictures of the tools you will be using, and any alternative ways to do the same thing. for example, tubing bender versus bent around a screwdriver handle. etc.
3. List where parts come from, or where they can be purchased from, or if they are homemade.
4. As many pictures of the build during the whole process as you can.

Re: 1/32 Sportsman Galaxie

Postby bdsharp » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:20 am

I made it. It doesn't do the job any better than the ones you can buy, I just wanted to try it.
bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bdsharp » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks. As said, it doesn't do anything better, but it adds some "scratch" to the project.

When Harry showed his chassis, it reminded me about his "rattle-pan" body mounts that he pictured some time ago. I wish I had remembered to do that with this one- it could have been nicely captured between the upper frame rail and the motor mount. Next time.

And I'll ask here: Harry, in the thread about the Molotow chrome paint pen, you had this picture of using it on your Galaxie. Did you paint the grill black first and then use the pen on individual bars, or did you chrome the whole thing and use a black wash? Came out nice.

bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:58 am

Apologies for the delay Brian.

I added the black wash after. A tip that most already know, is to use a pencil eraser to drag across the high edges of the grill. It removes the paint pretty cleanly. I use acrylic Apple Barrel Wal-Mart craft paint.

Did the wheels up using those nice inserts from CG Slotcars

I used Duplicolor universal chrome after I glued the inserts into the wheel. They fit very snug, so all I do is brush a little Hansens Hard as Nails on the inside of the wheel and press them in.

The thickness of this chrome paint has an advantage. It can build up a little on the edges and produces a very smooth contour effect between the outer edge of the insert and the inside wall of the wheel.

I used the same brand Apple Barrel acrylic to drop some red over the center. Just a slightly thinned application with a toothpick or very small brush lets the paint flow down and seal around the center.

Then used a Sharpie to highlight the lug detail. Not perfect but looks ok to me.

And once again my toothpick "lettering".

Close enough for me :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby tjettom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 am

Looks real nice Harry! I'm a wonderin what size wheels and tars yer puttin on there? Can't really tell from the pics...
Thanks,
Tom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:21 am

That makes for a great looking finished product!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby bdsharp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:46 am

I got some of those inserts, too. Nice job on the detailing.
bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Great how to..Lots of work ,but man look at what your building!

Rusty h
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks Rusty.

Chassis finished.

Went with new JAWS motor. Slot.it 9/28 gearing. PG 22166FF all around.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby bdsharp » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 am

Do you think that longer guide is good for better lap times?
bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 am

I can't really prove that. I still trim it slightly to make sure it does not bind down in the green lane.

I just like the guides because I can use them on a variety of builds and allow trimming to suit. Sort of a "one guide fits all" approach. So I just order that one and it takes less room on the old pegboard :)

The other reason I like it is the longer front leading edge. On some customs/cars, the guide is set further back than I like. Having more blade up front helps the handling IMHO.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 am

That has been my experience, too. But I must say, I never would have even tried if I hadn't spotted one on one of Harry's builds.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Made a mold a while ago that makes a few parts needed for my builds.

Using a playing card, some styrene rod, and a couple parts from the mold is all I need for an interior.

Not a scale award winner by a long shot, but it works for me once inside the cars.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:39 pm

Super Cool!!! I like it!

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:50 am

Hey Harry...what driver from what car did you make the "driver" molds from?? I can never get the hands of the driver to come out right when I try to make the molds!! Thanks!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW All Scales Build-OFF!