[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/18 scale Monogram Midget project

1/18 scale Monogram Midget project

Share your build process step by step
Forum rules
Open to ALL SCALES!

1. Pictures of your starting materials. Choice of body, Chassis type and material (brass, plastic etc.)
2. Pictures of the tools you will be using, and any alternative ways to do the same thing. for example, tubing bender versus bent around a screwdriver handle. etc.
3. List where parts come from, or where they can be purchased from, or if they are homemade.
4. As many pictures of the build during the whole process as you can.

1/18 scale Monogram Midget project

Postby btaylor » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:25 am

Parts came in today! so I can begin the build and documenting of my build off car. I would like to mention that I usually build my own brass chassis, and order all the small parts to build whatever I am doing at the time. However, I found that using the H&R chassis as a starting point, costs about the same, or even cheaper than individual parts. This build is for our series here, and will be sort of the spec. build for all who enter our races. That being said, here is my starting point, The main ingredients for the build. Pics of Modifications and fitment to follow.Image These are the basic tools used for this build. Pretty basic really, The dremel being the only tool that can set you back a few bucks. But scratch building without one is darn near impossible to me.Image
Bob
Last edited by btaylor on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 1/18 scale Monogram Midget project

Postby btaylor » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:42 pm

Chassis is stripped and marked for cutting. Using a dremel and cut off wheels for this task.Image
Cuts made and ready for sanding all cut edges.Image More to come!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:37 am

After cutting down and dressing up the chassis a bit. I thought I would turn to the body, as it will be used for test fitting very soon. First thing I do on these, is to sand all body mating surfaces flat. This is basic model building, but it needs said, as the final fit and finish will be effected at this point.Image
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:40 am

This pic shows where the body will trimmed away for chassis clearance, but don't do this just yet, as we will need to fit the engine/exhaust so we have good alignment after the floor is removed.Image
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:45 am

I found that a piece of 1/4 styrene plastic works great for the engine spacing we need. The motor halves get glued together, and the top of the engine needs to be sanded flat. Then glue the styrene spacer to the top of the engine like this.Image when its time to attach the engine to the hood, you will need to sand the styrene block on an angle that will allow the hood to fit flush.ImageOnce the engine is dry, and the bottom removed for wire clearance, The finished fitment should look like this. The arrow shows the rear exhaust mounting hole. Image
Last edited by btaylor on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:23 am

While the body halves are drying, We can turn back to the chassis work. I make my front and rear bars in one piece for these midgets. Its strong, and makes soldering them to the chassis very easy. My high tech wire bending device is just what you see! I cut a piece of 1/16 brass rod longer than what I need, and bend it around the top of a testors paint bottle. The bends for the radius rods can then be made with needle nose pliar's as seen.ImageImage Both front and rear can be made this way. The scrap pieces of brass tubing are soldered on to the ends of each radius bar to act as body mounting holes when finished.Image When test fit they will be soldered to the chassis like this.Image
Last edited by btaylor on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:01 am

Lookin good Bob! I like the method for building bars that you came you with. They are the nicest, simplest and probably about the most durable that I have seen done. These classic midgets are cool.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks Mike! I am glad you like them! The bars have to be sturdy when racing with my bunch. we get a bit pushy in the heat of the race. :lol: here is one I finished while doing the Build off.ImageImage
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:31 am

Heres a fun thing to do while waiting on glue or paint to dry! Since we need wheel inserts for the H&R wheels.( at least I do, as I like scale realism), You can temporarily glue one of the kit wheels on to the bottom side of a drill bit. Cut the plastic tire off with an exacto knife, then chuck it up in your cordless and sand it to fit inside the wheel snugly.ImageImageImage Paint as needed.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:42 am

Ok, The kit engine is drying, so we know that we will have a good fit on the exhaust when done. Time to remove all the excess plastic to clear the chassis. Again, this is done with the dremel and sanded smooth. I take as much of the sides at the bottom as I can, but leave as much of the roll on the body so it looks good when done. We can also give clearance for the front and rear axles at this time. not to much, as we can remove more as needed during final body fitment before paint.Image
We can also remove the marked area at the bottom of the engine for Motor wire clearance at this point.Image Should look like this when done.Image
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby chappy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am

Wow Bob , you are a Motor Head Maniac.
What a great build
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby RazorJon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:19 am

Hey I built one of these years ago, they told me it was 2 big to race, good looking build, we will have to get them together for a race
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:07 am

Ok, This is way out of the norm for anything I would think of building. I wouldn't even have anywhere to run it, but I have to say this build as presented is very tempting. Outstanding work!

Val...
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:50 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:36 pm

The wheel insert method is nice to see. Sometimes the simple things deserve the attention. Long before I had a lathe or Razor I used my old drill. The lathe is gone but the drill lives on :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to HRW All Scales Build-OFF!