Round 8, Vancouver

2017 Trans-Am Series (Retro Racer 44) Proxy Information

Done and dusted!

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:30 pm

As retirees and semi retirees, Luf, Duke and myself decided we did not want to wait until the weekend... so we just got it done!

So: ladies and gentlemen, without further ado: the results of Round 8 of the 2017 Trans-Am proxy series:

Congratulations to Dariusz for his overall win and special mention to Leon for his excellent finish with his U2 Alfa. Just 1/10th of a lap shy of finishing on the podium: excellent showing.

My great thanks to Luf for i) hosting the race, ii) doing all the video and especially iii) for the huge task of editing the video. Recording the video is nothing compared to the hours it takes to appropriately assemble and present the video: hats of to Luf for this major task.

Second thanks goes to Duke for running ALL the cars in the one lane. With 45 participants, this was no trivial job: took a lot of hours and Duke did an incredible job. He was fast AND consistent: I cannot imagine anybody doing any better.

I can give everybody the assurance that we did our utmost to get the very, very best number of laps out of every car. I am not going to bore you with all the details but I will give you some summary info and stats:

* Luf ran the qualifying in the middle lane (Lane 2). This is normally the fastest lane. BUT: he ran Q at 10V instead of the race required 12V. This obviously made qualifying a bit slower than it might have been compared to the race results.
* We ran the race itself in two lanes: lanes 1 & 3. This was done to make sure that we did not get any interference and accidental nerfs.
* I believe that normally lane 3 is around 1 to 1 1/2 tenths slower than lane two and lane 3 (OOPS: Duke pointed out an error here: should be LANE 1) is another 1 tenth slower. Obviously this is not reflected in the race results due to Q being run at 10V.
* Over the years I have identified THREE indices that give an indication of how well we have been able to extract the best from every car:

- The first is a SPEED INDEX. I calculate this by dividing the qualifying lap time for a car by the best lap time achieved in a lane during the race. This is expressed as a percentage. A number larger than 100% means that we were able to turn a fastest lap better than the qualifying time during the race.

For instance, if the Q time for a car is 8 seconds and we are able to do a best lap of 7.9 seconds during the race, the speed index would be 8.0/7.9 = 101.3%

- The second is a CONSISTENCY INDEX. This is determined by dividing the actual number of laps achieved with a specific car in a specific lane by the number of laps it would have achieved had the driver been able to do every single lap at the fastest lap time. We all know that this is patently impossible to achieve but it certainly is a good measure of how consistently fast we were able to drive the car. Again expressed as a percentage.

For instance: if we were able to do a best lap of 7.9 seconds (as per the above example), we should have been able to do 180 seconds per heat / 7.9 seconds best lap = 22.8 laps in the 3 minute heat. If we actually did 20 laps, the consistency index would be 20/22.8 = 87.7%

- The third is an OVERALL INDEX. This is an indication of how many laps we completed with a specific car in a specific lane compared to how many laps we would have done had we completed every lap at the Q time. Practically this is just the SPEED INDEX multiplied by the CONSISTENCY INDEX, which is kind of neat.

I am not going to bore you with the results for every car, but overall for the two lanes we got the following:

I will have to go look back at my archives, but my sense is that these are likely the best numbers I have ever seen over numerous proxies run at the Targa over the years. I can assure you: we wrung the best out of every car that we possibly could!

Congrats to all, particularly the podiumites. And now on to the next leg!

Alwyn
Last edited by SuperSlab on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Round 8, Vancouver

Postby Brumos RSR » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 pm

I love your math Alwyn. Congratulations to the podium builders and Leon, that's one crazy fast Alpha you have. And Allan (Audi 1), that was a close run for runner up in U2, Luck was on the Imp's side. Alwyn are you posting individual indexs by chance?
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:16 am

Alwyn, Luf, Duke....Well Done!!!
Thanx for hosting and looking after our toys. You guys did great!!

Congratulations to all the podium winners, your cars rock!

Cheers
Clive
CARacing
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:45 am

Great work gents! Under time and budget! Excellent stats and glad to hear the race was so tight up top. Congrats to the winners!

Can you please send me the spreadsheet and I'll get the stats all updated? Thanks!

Also - the cars need to go to Dennis Samson (gascarnut) in California next - who should I coordinate for shipping and payment?

Thanks!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cgyracer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks guys for running the race on a Thursday night , forty five cars is a lot of cars to run on a weeknight. Well done and thanks for hosting on the new Targa. When I retire I plan to be like you guys!

Congrats (again) to Dariusz for winning the O2 class. You have done wonders to that stock chassis, I slaved away cutting up a Slot.it chassis and you have most certainly have proved a stock chassis is an excellent framework to start off with. Second place Tom (Midagekid) stock chassis too , very well done and solid as usual.

U2 class that first place Alfa of Leon's just as I noticed when the cars were here last month is such a fantastic solid runner. Congrats! Second place Brumos and Audi1 congrats on your 2nd and 3rd place finish. Well done with such a small class of car.

Lez, solid 7th place finish with the milled lexan chassis and milled pod (I think?) well done.

Rob
Cgyracer

Postby Radarek » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks Luf and Duke and Alwyn for hosting that round and as always excellent report. That is a were tight results, you guys excellent drivers and statistics proved that too. Congrats to Tom and Rob and Brumos and Allan and Leon of course.
2 more to go.
Regards
Dariusz
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 am

IMP--> :violence-stickwhack: <--My BMW

IMP-ressive.... Just when I thought I had a chance to take it to the IMP - It all goes south and the team car gets by me too!! :doh:
:laughing-rolling:

Good run - congrats to everyone!
*CG Slotcars*
....We do it in 3D....
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for the run and the post. Looking forward to the video.

As always at this point in a proxy, I'm thinking, "If I could just have another 30 minutes alone with my cars I could make them better". ;-)
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 am

Congratulations to all. Guess the SCX motor didn't like the 10 volts. My Cuda really dropped.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 am

arroldn wrote:Congratulations to all. Guess the SCX motor didn't like the 10 volts. My Cuda really dropped.
As I stated: the race itself was run at 12V.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:03 am

Mitch58 wrote:Thanks for the run and the post. Looking forward to the video.

As always at this point in a proxy, I'm thinking, "If I could just have another 30 minutes alone with my cars I could make them better". ;-)

I concur Mitch, although I think I'd need about an hour. :lol:
Mike

"When you’re back there with the squirrels, you’re bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 am

OK thanks.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:41 am

Brumos RSR wrote:are you posting individual indexs by chance?

As requested:

I think a few comments are appropriate:

1. Hard to recall but my sense is that any time the "Consistency" number dropped below 93%-ish it is likely because we had a de-slot. Marshalling on the Targa is a challenge so we used track calls whenever we had a de-slot. Clearly anything around the 94% level means that there were no deslots. Under 90% and we likely had more than one deslot. And I got to tell you: I personally think that when rotating through 45 cars in quick succession without having the luxury of running each car a few minutes to get familiar with the car and then running at around 94 - 95% of your best lap time for 3 minutes without deslotting is rather a challenge. We also have to recognise that the first lap from a standing start is always slow: this means you have to run even quicker later on to make this up. Also, it takes a few laps to really get a feel for the car and start getting the best out of it while reducing the risk of deslots early on while you are exploring the limits. I would suspect that most times we got the best lap time in the last minute of a heat.
2. In looking at the numbers it would be clear that we got the best consistency from cars at the head of the field. This is absolutely no surprise to me as it is a reality of slot car racing that a good, fast proxy car is also one that is easier to drive. This is reflected in the good consistency performance of the fast cars in this group as well.
3. In the lower end of the field a recurring theme was that cars were "bouncy" and "chattery". I suspect that most (almost all?) of this was down to tyres not being properly glued and trued. Again personally: for me, gluing and truing tyres is probably the most essential item of preparation for a proxy: I would not ever think of not doing it.

A couple of very personal comments on proxy management:

1. I think 45 cars in a proxy is just too many. I was at the track for around 6 hours yesterday. Make no mistake: I love slot cars and racing. But this gets a bit much for most hosts I would think. I really like around 25 cars max: as host you can just do better with a smaller field.
2. I personally do not like duplicate race numbers on cars as I think this increases the chance of administrative errors.
3. What I normally do in running a proxy is to prepare a spreadsheet with all the appropriate fields set up ahead of time. I also sort the cars in the order that we intend running them (typically slow to fast Q times). I then take my laptop to the track and enter the data directly into the appropriate field at the end of each run. I find this drastically reduces the chance for errors and certainly speeds things up. For this field (because of the large numbers of cars) I also arranged the cars in the appropriate order ahead of time. This made changing cars much quicker and easier.

FWIW.

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks guys for a great job running all these little gems. You guys really saved my bacon by running them yesterday instead of Sat., as I have a wedding to attend on Sat. When I queried about online connection so the gs and I could catch the race results I received dire warnings (bordering on physical harm) if I attempted to do so. :lol:

Thanks again
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:30 am

Dodgefarmer wrote:I received dire warnings (bordering on physical harm) if I attempted to do so.

Dodge farmer dodged a bullet? :o

A pleasure.

Cheers
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to 2017 Trans-Am Series (Retro Racer 44) Proxy