[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The Showdown Garage - Q&A - Builds

The Showdown Garage - Q&A - Builds

Older topics that might still have some photos for reference material.

The Showdown Garage - Q&A - Builds

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:17 am

We can use this thread for sharing our build progress or just questions in general.

Track Info:

Straights are 10 feet. With inline you have several options, but the 9/27 (3.00) is a good one for it.

The track has been rebuilt since last year's event due to the "Great Flood".

Since then the track has become run in nicely.

We run a mix of tires here but mostly natural rubber in 1/24 models and Paul Gage.

The standard PG tires (Shore 40) seem to work the best. Nothing wrong with the XPG, just my own findings. I rather like the drift action the XPG gives, but for maximum bite :scared-eek: the standard PG blend is tops.

Hope this helps some of you.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: The Showdown Garage - Q&A - Builds

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:31 pm

The question of "HRW vs The World" has been asked.

My son and I are going to build cars of course.

As in events passed, my entries will not be counted in Fast Lap. I do not feel it is fair.

That doesn't mean the times won't be posted. It will simply not allow the track host to "win".
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:46 pm

I got all the stuff for a Showdown car last year but when the third layer of my white-blue-red paint job got botched (the red paint got under the masking tape), what had been a nice white and blue car was no longer Showdown worthy.

The stuff most of you guys build sets a very high standard for those of us who aren't expert model builders. I run mostly RTR Trans Am and GT cars for compatibility, and my dirt modified cars have computer generated photo paper bodies. I don't do much body work or painting.

Would you consider a Novice class for newbies? I know anything I build won't be a contender with most of the things I see on HRW, but might be okay in a class of Showdown first timers.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby DixonJohn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Build a car, send it it in. You could be surprised. The numbering on the Mustang I did last time Got all buggerd up but that didn't stop me. These event focus on FUN!!! The fun of building and the fun of loose competition. I like seeing what other people build and have fun running them also. I'm no super modeler or builder either, but it' still fun to do these proxies regardless of the outcome
DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Not all the cars have the best finishes. Take a look at last years entries, some of them are very basic.

This is my friend down the street. Simple paint and even a hand drawn number. Which is actually very accurate when you look at some of the 1:1 cars. Not all the folks that raced had fancy paint or sponsors.

My 64 Impala I raced briefly was brush painted and very ugly spray painted numbers.

This car was my overall pick for best in show. Simple, yet it captured the look of what many of these hammers looked like.

So just give it go. That's the fun, just doing it. :auto-checkeredflag:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:17 pm

Ha, John chimed in as I was writing. The owner of that Stang. Well said John!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Gameover » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:38 pm

Look at my entries. They are at the bottom for looks and speed but it sure is fun!!

And i feel i get better at every build. Maybe its only my opion on doing better but hey thats all that counts.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:32 am

Yes please take a shot. Believe me that I too was intimidated by the high standards set by some but most of us are right were you are. It's fun to see what everyone comes up with and it is as much fun building something yourself. That's what great about HRW. You already have the parts , that's half the battle. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:53 am

I am already glad I decided to enter this proxy. Busting out the torch and blowing off the cobwebs had me up until 3 a.m. modifying and ALIGNING that old chassis of mine. It is crude by the standards I have seen displayed on this forum, but it still has been a lot of fun. I am hoping simple and true is enough to keep me out of last place.

I am a big fan of Proxy racing. It gives purpose and inspiration to build and enjoy everything this hobby has to offer. I am a 143 guy, and am hosting my first 143 proxy because I believe in them.

Lately I have been doing more 132 building, and it is solely because of all the Proxy activity in this scale. In the last quarter, I have prepped cars for

Digital Proxy
Pan America
Targa Florio

And now this Showme classic.

Cheers
Last edited by BARC 1 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:10 pm

BARC # 22

Fresh out of the paint shop is the car I am going to enter in this Proxy. Staying true to all BARC cars are the color and the BA sponsorship.

I am waiting on chassis parts, and as soon as they get here I will take some photos of my attempt at a brass chassis.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Well look at that, nice one sir.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Austin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 pm

I will build one this year and send it in no matter haw it looks, or falls apart.

All ready some very nice looking bodies posted up here.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Great livery Barc, that is a beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:29 pm

That is one good lookin' '55!
:text-bravo: