Build and paint questions...

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Build and paint questions...

Postby Broman62 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Just a couple questions on building and painting that I haven’t tried yet and was wondering on suggestions:

1) When you use inserts on wheels do you glue them in or can you use nail polish to keep them in place??

2) After your body is prepped and sanded and you apply the primer, after the primer is dried, do you sand it dry/wet again and then apply primer again or your the paint your gonna use...this is for rattle can paints???

Thanks in advance for any info!! :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Build and paint questions...

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:25 pm

In my previous builds where I had inserts I used white glue, but too much in case I wanted to pop it out.

For my 1/24 TA build, I used Tamiya rattle cans, their fine primer once sprayed does not need sanded. So I will apply my color of choice right on top of it.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Mike pretty much covered it on both counts. Depending on the fit of the inserts, I sometimes use hot glue. they can be popped out later if need be. as far as paint goes, I use rattle cans from ACE hardware. It dries very fast, and they have a variety of colors. I use their clear as well. I use it primarily due to them being very close by, and a hobby store carrying any good paint like Tamiya, testors or others is 1/2 hr away. I sometimes use Dupli color from the parts house too, but it can get kind of pricey. Im sure others have better ideas on this as well.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 pm

In the case of inserts, I might advise to sand/score the inside of the wheel first. Roughing up that surface gives your choice of adhesive more to "bite" into.

My cars have been notorious for those popping out due to the vibration/speeds. I started doing this and it has made a difference over the last couple years.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Broman62 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks guys for the help!!

I must re-tract on the first question because I have used inserts one time on my Showdown builds but couldn’t remember if I glued them in or nail polish them in...like the other ideas too!! And I have sanded down the surface going next to wheel for better adhesion...thanks!!

I’ve always just sanded, primed and painted with nothing special in between...thanks very much!!! :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW Body Shop