Repair/Strengthen Bodys

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Repair/Strengthen Bodys

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:57 pm

On some of our resin bodies with the wheel wells hogged out, there is not a lot of material there for strength. In combat, they might break or over time they might even sag a little.

As a preventive and/or repair I like using very small brass rod.

I use the 1/32 K&S #8160 rod. It is easy to press into place and secure with super glue.

You might not think so, but this goes a country mile in adding strength and helping prevent breaking.

It also works well with repairs. Once the body is glued back from the break, try adding this.

Just a tip for anyone needing repair or preventive maintenance.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Repair/Strengthen Bodys

Postby mikeinclover » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Great tip Harry.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Harry, I do the same with the 1/24 model kits I use. I usually epoxy or hot glue the rods in. I like to bend a piece horseshoe shaped to fit across the top of the front wheel openings and across the front of the body. You cut out those front and rear openings and there isn't much meat left!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Wow... this is a great tip Harry...I have a resin body where the front end is a little flexy right in the middle of the front wheel wells all the way across hood and I was trying to figure out what I could use to stiffen it and I have plenty of that size tubing so now I know...thanks!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:40 pm

I found it!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby walker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm

I also used brass rod years ago. Until I had a really hard front crash. Although the rod absorbed a lot of the energy and saved the hood, it was bent.
Since then I use piano wire in different thicknesses, pre - bend it to the necessary shape and glue it in.
On straight areas I very often use carbon rods as well - especially with thin and lightweight bodies.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 am

What I thought would work was wood popsicles stick , didn't think that added much weight to the body , glued to the body where I thought was the weakest , got some that looked like tongue depressors, the ones doctors use when they try to gag you, open and say, aaaaaaaaa,
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 am

After dropping and breaking in half one of RSM resins cars I had I figure to try and beef up the body but was lite enough not to add to much weight to the body, so I used popsicles sticks glued on the inside of the bodies added mounting points at the front and rear of the bodies with them. Not finished with them yet , to use a quote that I read ," it can really haul the mail " , that is what I am doing with the ones I am building. Hope to have pictures to send of the builds .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

I was looking for other plastic models to build and came across a web site for plastic models , but the one item that caught my eye was a roll of nylon reinforced tape , it was what they called body repair tape , looked to me like it was two inch wide , was just thinking that it was just another option to repair or reinforce the bodies of the cars . The web site was called Hobbylinc , At least we would have a few more things to use to protect the bodies of the cars. Happy slotting
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW Body Shop