[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Harry's resin seminar

Harry's resin seminar

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Harry's resin seminar

Postby Junior » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:06 pm

After participating in Harry's grueling but informative resin seminar over Labor Day, I decided to dip my toes in the resin water. I used some of the items I had laying around and made some molds. Still learning, need to mix the resin a little better and pour a little faster, some of my castings are a little squishy and I have my fair share of headless drivers but it is fun giving it a go. Thanks to everyone on this forum, it has all been helpful.
Junior
Shop Teacher

Re: Harry's resin seminar

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:29 pm

LOL, yes it was rather grueling :)

Looks like you are well on your way sir. Remember that Camaro nailed to my post? Yep, we have start somewhere! (It still hasn't dried).
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Junior » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:29 pm

Do you want a driver that can do the Macarena? LOL
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:30 pm

If I say yes, does that make me a bad person? :banana-dance:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:36 pm

I was so good at it in the beginning, that some of my bodies are pieces of two failures glued together. :?:
NEVER throw anything away.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby burad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Wow. i never thought about using Legos to make mold frames. Cool.
burad

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby mattb » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:01 pm

I've used Legos for quite awhile and I found that it is a good idea to tape the outside bottom edges to your work top. A few times I've had silicone leak out the bottom of the mold sides. A good taping will keep this from happening. I have some legos that are about 1/2 inch wide and up to 3 inches long. They work great for a bigger mold like a body.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Never give up.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Working on my Halloween themed driver collection, the headless drivers. LOL!

Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Working on my Halloween themed driver collection, the headless drivers. LOL!
(Sorry about the double post, my machine had a little vapor lock)
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby cantstopnow » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:23 pm

cantstopnow
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:13 pm

I still use lego blocks for my body mould boxes and like in the picture I have had many failures...it is the successes that keep me going.

I keep learning about techniques, equipment and methods so it is the journey that I enjoy.

Some people say how do you do it?...I dont know, I am still learning.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:43 pm

Instead of tape on my lego mold boxes, i use a bead of hot glue on the i sode.
Does the same thing as regards leakage, but it stops it getti g under the lego blocks.
I firmly believe that there are no such things as errors or mistakes when doing this type of thing.
They are all learning opportunities. And i have had my share too.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:08 am

Harry, that Camaro looks like you could make a Hallowe'en mask from it. Scary!

If you use one of the flat base sheets with the Lego you don't need glue. If you are using a plastic body for the buck, fill it with Plasticene and just press it to the floor of the Lego.

Last year for my Studebaker and my Topolino, since they were wood and would float in the resin, I drilled a small hole in the middle of the sheet and screwed the wooden buck in from the bottom. Once the buck is in place, it is easy to gauge how big a Lego box to build around it. After it is set, just unbuild the walls and remove the mould. You may need to trim a bit of silicone to open up the bottom, but that is good as it leaves a bit of an edge to prevent spilling while sloshing. Start with a smaller hole than necessary and then trim outwards until you can get the buck out easily. If the buck will come out, so will the casting.

For small items, other small containers can be used. I used a yogurt cup for a driver mould, and plastic packaging bubbles for moulding wheel insert.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW Body Shop