[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - small scale surgery

small scale surgery

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

small scale surgery

Postby walker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:08 am

In the context of a casting order I was asked about figures. Especially poses like sitting / leaning on a low wall or on a pile of tyres and similar.
Unfortunately in 43rd scale there primarily exist a few quite expensive standard – posed pit crew figures only, and the Chinese clones that are a bit too small but nevertheless usable in the background.
So what to do ? I still have some small boxes with parts from unsuccessful casting attempts ( the usual tiny bubbles on noses, feet etc. ).

Said and done, I made a surgical operation and did not even have to use a flawless figure this way.

The job was to convert a figure that originally is in driver position, i.e. half lying, into a slouching person.
A positive aspect was that the original figure consisted of head, arms, bust and lower part with legs.

1. Search for an appropriate photo
2. Get the lower part w. legs from lying into standing position. To achieve this I had to provide cuts at the front and rear of the knees and hips. Now I could bend this part into the correct shape and fix it with my preferred method – superglue and baking powder.
3. The areas where head and hips meet the torso had to be reworked a bit for the right position, too.
4. Arms and hands had to to be “operated” from their steering position into a relaxed one. Since this figure was only a trial, I simply glued the arms in other positions, cut off the left hand and turned it into a “discussing position”.
5. Finally I filled a few gaps yet to make the figure a bit more solid. The feet would have to be a bit reshaped, too.

I prefer superglue / baking soda to everything else, because it hardens at once, becomes really solid but is easy to work on nevertheless.

It took me ca. one hour to create this “blank”. Now he will get a partner who holds the helmet in his hand and argues, too. I will use a second head which will be hollowed to get the separate helmet.
I love this kind of modelling because I do not want to have the typical sterotype dozen of figures on my track that you normally see almost everywhere. The people on the track live by their poses and movements, not their amount.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: small scale surgery

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 am

What a good read. Seeing work like this is just what we have this forum for.

I like it. Now I want the "redneck" versions in 1/32. I wonder how hard it would be to re-create the Allison/Yarborough scene? :)

:text-goodpost:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:31 am

Nice, and the Porsche looks great as well

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:17 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:08 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:04 pm

I never understood all that talk from NASCAR bigwigs about how that fight "put NASCAR on the map", and gave a lot of money to both of them in gratitude a while later. Never made any sense to me at all. But, a lot of my favorites were involved in that race, so you know I was watching when it happened.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:43 pm

It made "sense" (a stretch) because it DID impact NASCAR.

This race ended with this now historical brawl...but it was history in another way as it was the first NASCAR event to be broadcast entirely from flag to flag.

But the race ending is undeniably the spark that impacts today.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 pm

In any event, apologies for the hijack.

You are right, it will just take some time and elbow grease to create them. (just lazy).
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Roland - nice hack! I do this regularly and find it quite fun.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:17 am

VERY cool!
Thanks for sharing the "surgery" shots/results! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to HRW Body Shop