[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Cheap and easy mold boxes

Cheap and easy mold boxes

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Cheap and easy mold boxes

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Many casters make their own boxes from various materials. Others use the handy slot car case lids.

But I just don't have many case lids and found some inexpensive food containers. I tested the size and they seem to fit just right.

They are 4x7 and come with a lid. Not much need for the lid but the tub works great.

Just cut a pouring hole up front and then hot glued the tub to my base and poured away.

You can push the mold out from the pour hole.

I am finding these at Dollar Tree, Family Dollar and even our own local grocer. You get 2 tubs for $1.00

Just an option.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Cheap and easy mold boxes

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:56 am

Pretty slick & definitely inexpensive!
(and have the added bonus of being conveniently stackable when not in use!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 am

That's a great solution.

BTW, if anyone wants some case lids, I have many that I was going to pitch out.
PM me and I can let them go for free.

(Only pay first class shipping.)
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:08 am

Quick not about the mold Harry showed above. This mold has quite a bit of thickness on the sides. I kind of got caught up trying to not use more materials than necessary a few years ago and started making my boxes just slightly larger than the master so I could save material. I found out that it is best to never scrimp on materials. Make your box a fairly large size and it will be solid and not easily torn. If you ma
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:11 am

Quick not about the mold Harry showed above. This mold has quite a bit of thickness on the sides. I kind of got caught up trying to not use more materials than necessary a few years ago and started making my boxes just slightly larger than the master so I could save material. I found out that it is best to never scrimp on materials. Make your box a fairly large size and the mold will be solid and not easily torn. If you make an inner plug, it will not push out the mold sides and make a thicker body than you want. The lesson is not scrimp on materials. Same with your plastic. Better to have excess and puor a driver or some other extra part than to try and mix just enough plastic for your mold, end up a little short and throw away a 90% completed body.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:56 am

Indeed. This is why I have no issues with the thickness all around.

The mold I have now is very strong and should last a long time. I'm not in commercial production, but I want to be able to make these for people who really want them in the future.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby tjettom » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:58 am

Just how thin is too thin and just how too thick would be considered over kill and a waste of rubber? (concerning a car body mold that is) My concerns are because of material costs....

Thanks,
Tom
tjettom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Yes, those material costs :whistle:

Most casters advise at least 1/2 inch. The sides on mine (at the door) are about 5/8. Pretty stout.

After a few molds, my material usage is about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of silicone per car. That is making the inner mold (plug).
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Well I`m going with a different opinion, I like using less rubber because I like the flexibility of thinner mold sides 1/2" usually. Makes it easier for me to remove complex areas like tall spoilers chin spoilers wheel opening flares with the thin sides without tearing. Perfect for me has been the early scalextric car case tops, or the pioneer car case tops. Each mold has it`s own case top that it is also stored in. Each pour is done with the rubber inside the case top to keep the sides from pushing out. Normally I would get 60-70 clean pulls from a mold.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby walker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:18 am

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:31 am

Guys, I've used lots of different mold boxes. Don't ever sell short masking tape and cardboard! Just don't leave any kind of openings.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:48 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:51 am

And here is boxes made using sign board and hot glue. HOT GLUE IS YOUR FRIEND.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby strangebrew » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Whatever boxes you choose to use, I like to stick my originals to the bottom using one of the many brands of double sided tape.
I tape all the openings from the inside using a good brand of masking tape.
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:07 am

I have used a couple different methods, and as others have said, almost anything works - and it definitely doesn't have to be anything fancy!
To that point, the mold box I made for the '75 Nova this last week uses a cardboard sleeve that came on the outside of my new Carrera '57 Chevy, taped on the inside to the cardboard from a cereal box for a bottom!
I found the clay that I use to seal the body to the bottom of the bottom of the "mold" sticks well to the smooth / satin finish of cereal box cardboard. :)
While this isn't as convenient / stackable / etc as standard containers - it does work. :D

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to HRW Body Shop