[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Casting miscellaneous parts. First castings done.

Casting miscellaneous parts. First castings done.

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Re: Casting miscellaneous parts

Postby munter » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Just learned something there...
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Great job on this. I learned quite a bit. Another keeper for the archive.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Good info, Dave,

Are those studs in some of the mold corners to help the eventual two-part mold fit more precisely?

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:21 am

When doing a 2 part mold, I do pull my masters out before I paint the mold release. I've found the silicone can run into the smallest opening and it won't come out if there is no mold release. I paint the first part, then put my pieces back in their positions before pouring the second part.

Looks like the silicone is the Alumilite from Hobby Lobby. I find that stuff so soft and flexible that I can glue a driver torso to the bottom of a small plastic cup and cover it with alumilite. After curing, I can remove the cup and push the driver out of the mold. I then cast a one piece driver in that mold and the rubber stretches so much that the driver will come right out.

Another trick I have used for two part molds is to glue a piece of sprue or something similiar to your master so the air can be released when you push both halves together. Otherwise most of your parts will have air trapped in the mold cavity and it won't fill up with plastic.

The alumilite is so soft and flexible that I have been able to mold a Cox Chaparral driver in one piece.

You guys doing bodies will find that Shotguns process is especially great if you apply it to a body. You will make a thin body in one cast and the inside will have the nice finish the outside does.

The casting thread is really good and all of us learn a bit from each other and make what we need. It was much like this back in the 80's when we had to make our tires and plastic bits. We didn't have this great communication back then.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RV Racing » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:11 am

Another excellent Shotgun production! Great info on the use of sprue as vents when making two-part molds. I always wondered how to do that . . . and now I know!

Thanks,
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:49 am

I sent in my pre-pre order :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Kemtronracer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:26 am

Great post!! Do you need to do anything to keep the silicon from seeping through the Lego bricks?
Kemtronracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:24 am

Fascinating and awesome Tut SD!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:35 am

Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:03 pm

I have never been using channels but air is no problem nevertheless.
What I do to remove the clay more easily is to brush a very thin layer of Vaseline onto the clay before I press the parts in, but avoid Vaseline on the parts.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kemtronracer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Kemtronracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Casting miscellaneous parts. First castings done.

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:17 pm

Great work!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:29 pm

VERY cool tutorial Dave! I added risers to the '48 Chevy body using clay - never thought about using model car sprues! That is a slick idea and definitely nicer to keep in place than my "rolled into thin ribbons" clay! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby mattb » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Great job! A lot of my drivers are missing their noses! I keep a little Tamiya putty around and use it on my finger to fill any problems like that. First body mold I made using that soft rubber the outer mold spread 3/8 inch or so and I cut some wood and with rubber bands kept the sides in the proper place.

That pink rubber is good stuff and easy to work with. With 40% coupons it is a good deal at Hobby Lobby.

I started buying wax paper to cover my work bench top when I mold. The plastic does stick to it, but it makes a neat clean work surface and I just roll it up and throw it away after doing 2-3 pours.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RV Racing » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:12 am

Lots of great information here! Question: After you've injected the resin with the syringe, can you clean the syringe for reuse, or do you have to discard it and ask the pharmacist for a replacement? ("Hey, my kid has a really bad cold . . . ")

Thanks!
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW Body Shop