[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Making a Resin Master Body - By Mark Thomas

Making a Resin Master Body - By Mark Thomas

All about RESIN CASTING! Share your work and tips to help others here.

Making a Resin Master Body - By Mark Thomas

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:56 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Making a Resin Master Body - By Mark Thomas

Postby munter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:51 pm

I do a couple of things differently but it is definitely a good read with lots of detailed info.
Well done.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:52 pm

This excellent article reminds me of something I have been wondering about for a while.

Is there anyone who will make a mold from a master that I make? I can make the master, but I wonder if there is a minimum number of copies I could make a deal for? I've been wondering about this forever, in other words, when I first discovered David and began lusting for what I could afford from Colorado.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby CrockettNZ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:30 pm

CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Correct. The silicone is the "caviar" of this process. On average it is about $25 a pound. It takes almost 2 pounds just to do the outside of a car. Then about 1 or more for the inner plug. That's a hefty price tag at first glance.

But if you do it right? Well then you can make quite a few bodies before the mold wears out.

Had a discussion with someone who felt the cost of resin bodies was too much. I tried in vain to explain all of this, but let's break it down:

Just average prices. You can find a better deal here and there.

Vacuum degassing pump for silicone: $175.00 or more. You need this to remove the air from the silicone to prevent air bubbles.
If you want, you can build your own. Some folks are good at that. I'm not.
Pressure Tank: The HF version is a $100. Then about $10 more for fittings, not to mention building the base for the tank.
Air compressor: Mine was $60.
Good quality silicone: Depending where and what brand, about $125 a gallon. YES, a gallon.
Resin mold release agent: $12 to $15 a can.
Silicone release agent: $10.00 a bottle.
And finally resin! About $30 for 32oz.

Don't forget the assorted tools, puttys, glues, plastics, paints, tapes, etc for making the master as perfect as possible.

What car do you want Rob? Maybe we can look at it?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby munter » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:09 pm

Good break down Mr HRW ...another commodity which I struggle with is.....time.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:32 pm

I can't talk tonight, but tomorrow I'll have time to talk about it.

By that I mean, don't stay up waiting for me... plumbing nuisance. Country livin'...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby CrockettNZ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:06 pm

Had a discussion with someone who felt the cost of resin bodies was too much

I personally feel the price of a resin body is reasonably priced

with knowing munter and been around at his resin cave of artistry
I know the amount of work that goes into getting a master to the level that is required to be able to produce a cast that is of a quality
that these resin masters are willing to put their name to
they also need to count for the rejects that cost but can't sell

where they get way to expensive for me is when I want one from overseas
because I live in New Zealand the exchange rate plus post makes them quite costly
when I looked at RMS for the 70 pontiac body for my first choice for my brass-am challenge build
it worked out that I could spend about another $5 and get a new scaly muscle and that is a no brainer to me especially considering I am
on a tight hobby budget
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Harry,
and on top of what you have in your breakdown, may I mention, there is that unsung little thing called your time. This particular camaro was very time consuming, as you know from your recent contribution. If a person just wants to pop out a bunch of die cast bodies, that`s one thing., you only have your materials to figure. But when a person wants to model a certain breed of hot rod, there is a measurable amount of tedious work involved, which takes time. So this also needs to be figured into final cost.

If it was that easy, the bodies that were made by myself, RMS, Shotgun, yourself, Munter, Strangebrew .... would have been available years ago.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Munter & Mark....agree 100%

I was talking with Shotgun about that very commodity: TIME. I did not mention it and I should have.

You are right. I am just a "newb" in this craft and not sure how many hours I spent doing my first.

I watched Mark and Doc both work the bench and the time and effort is not appreciated enough.

Mr Crockett, if you ever really want a Buick let me know. They are NOT Munter/RMS/MT level...but you can make a car from it :)

But just for the record...I made a new mold of it to try and correct my mistakes.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Wobble » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:26 am

A really good thread and article about this craft. Also something I've thought about as I'd dearly love to get my hands on a '38 Chevy Coupe to do something like this with - https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2084/2238 ... z.jpg?zz=1 - this is a car that was raced by Ron Sylvester in NZ and he used to campaign it against Muzzies and Camaro's. A real entertaining car to watch on the track, hope it's OK to add this link -
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:29 am

Excellent article
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW Body Shop