La Carrera Panamericana Rnd 3 Cornerstone Raceway MA RESULTS

Re: La Carrera Panamericana Rnd 3 Cornerstone Raceway MA RES

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:50 am

Great round and and I loved the report. This is what gets me excited about the proxy racing.

Kudos to RetroRacer44 cars in the top of the bunch, tthat would have made him happy I'm sure. I could barley see them back here in 21st but I was happy to hear my car was smooth.

For the racers in this round, was it under powered or over weight?
That resin body was thinned as much as I dared, and I felt like a motor with a little more than 14K would have done it justice. Thoughts?
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Mike,

That was Roy's assessment dictated into my iPad (garbled a bit), but he liked the predictability of the car. Usually, if we see any other sins, (out of round tires, etc.) we aren't too shy identifying those.

So, how to get more speed? How light in grams, was the body? Could you see light through it? Could you flex it easily with your fingers? That's how thin I hog out my bodies. Resin is amazingly resilient, I leave it thicker at edges and wheel wells but Dremel and file other areas until I can "see the light" and are covered with resin dust. I would test the car on your track with a lighter body (or no body) to see the effect.

I didn't look at gearing, that could help you as well. You can try a bigger motor, but don't overdo it, especially in a proxy! How much (if any) lead on the bottom? Maybe too much?

If Methe still has the cars, he can offer his observations as a top tuner.

Thanks for making a friendly, predictable driving car!

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DRW21 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:51 am

Awesome work guys, I bet ya had a real blast!!
Can't wait till its our turn in Auckland NZ.
This has to be the most prefered proxy to run in going by what we drove last year and looking at the grid again in 2017.
All entrants have done such a great job of their cars.
A huge THANK YOU from all of us for the guys that have put this proxy together just so we can all have fun planning, building, testing the cars and more again when they run.
Great coverage of this round, well done guys - Dave.
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mrollingthunder » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 pm

You guys are having waaaaay too much fun! Seriously, what a great job of reporting and what great photos! :text-thankyouyellow: Thanks again for the tuning that turned the Mad Dog from a Chihuahua to a Junk Yard Dog!

Don M
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mether05 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 am

Update on cars #20 and #31
After the repair the #20 ran a fast lap of 8.94, and ran consistently. I would shy away from post in post mounting, provides no body float, IMHO

Yes under powered! Handled well, ran very consistent laps, fast lap 10.07, median laps 10.21, 15 laps. I would first change pinion to 10, unless it is 10, then drop a tooth or two on the crown gear, see what they gets you. Check your lap times and avg./median lap times for drivability when car returns, before making changes so you have a benchmark.

BTW, you noted that the screws were to be backed off a quarter turn, which they are, even so one rear provided no float, remember to check that next time! Either hole needs to be opened up a bit or something is hanging it up, maybe screw threads!

Hope this helps!
mether05
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks for the repair. 8.94 seems pretty good as it would have had me up in 5th. Because the credit cars chassis is so flexible, I am not sure the standard body float idea works for it. Kind of a new wrinkle in slotcars.

Perhaps a more sloppy post in post would be worth trying on the next one? This would allow some float to see if it helps with the times.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to La Carrera Panamericana-2 Fun Run - 2016