[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Re: La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Postby glasshorsevh » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Great looking cars Allan. The tip towards the modeling end is why I stick with this board exclusively. Also why these are the first few proxies I've ever been interested in. Were I you, I'd skip the doctors visit and just keep building!

Val...
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:01 pm

I have resigned myself to two things. The proxies I enter are wanting a higher level of modelling skills, and this makes for much more interesting group of cars.

Since I suspect I will never attain those lofty levels of modelling some of you are displaying, in order to compete, I need to hire a professional for at least the basic paint coat.

Since I do know such a person, and he is willing to trade paint, detail and other modelling services for brass chassis building. I have found a win/win situation that will work out fine.

So let the modelling continue. I will try to pick up my game as much as possible, and what I can't, I will trade skills for skills to achieve.

This PanAm 2 is going to be the biggest, best group of car models seen in a long time. The pre-posted pics have been great.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Better late than never. I'm posting my current photos of the car. I have a few more things to complete then off to the Proxy.

Thanks to the import of another motor I was able to use my current chassis. I went with a different set up, I hope it works.
If not, it's all part of the learning process.

Body done, a few glass coats applied. Not to fit some of the fidlley bits and the driver.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Ferrari's are always great. Nice build
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:02 pm

I like the "Hot Glue" motor mount. I've resorted to that a time or two, and you know what? They are still running.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:02 am

That Ferrari looks great! Will be a really nice addition the field. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mrollingthunder » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:59 pm

On it's way!

If in real life James Dean's Porsche was cursed, this has to be the miniature equivalent!

Started out with a 3D chassis made from ABS. Too brittle, Switched to Nylon, impossible to work with. Switched to a SlotIt podded chassis and it broke. Ended up with a Scalextric Boss 302 Chassis.

Installed motor, it fried! Off to Buffalo for motors.

Installed Body and the rear track is too wide, no matter what tire and wheel combo I had, so I took the wheels off the VRA20161129_132507.jpgA F1 car from a few years back with some new rubber. Chassis complete.

Painted and decaled the body, looked great until I top coated it. Paint wrinkles in reaction everywhere accept where the decals were. Sanded it as best as possible without destroying the decals. Touched up paint, clear coat...and again the wrinkles appear. More sanding and paint, and done. Not as nice, but it will do,

Glued on plastic tubing and fasteners, used brass flathead screws for clearance and snapped off two screws. Cut off nice body mounts and crazy glued in square solid stock. and the glue ran into the cockpit and destroyed windshield.

Brought it into work, cut off interior and replaced windshield with a piece of plastic from some packaging.

I isn't pretty or fast, but it's done.
mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Looks good to me, Don. We'll look forward to seeing the Mad Dog Margarita Ford on the starting line! :handgestures-thumbup:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:27 pm

It sounds like a good start to a great country song that hasn't been written yet. The car looks great
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 pm

glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mrollingthunder » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:35 am

Oh I wish I was in Austin, at the Chili Parlor Bar, drinking Mad Dog Margaritas and not caring where you are.... ;)

mrollingthunder
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Building at scale has some interesting consequences; some of which don't necessarily play in your favor...........

Case in point; two of my cars for this year's Panamericana-2 race.

Here are a couple of pic of my two new cars; a Porsche 550 coupe and an OSCA MT-4, on either side of the winning Lancia D24 from last season.

Is it possible that, at scale, they were that much smaller than the D24? Seems unlikely to me.

Does it matter? Well, from a modeling standpoint - no. But from a performance standpoint - yes, definitely yes. Here are some track time comparisons from tonight's first run of both car on my track:

Car / Laps / Average lap time / Best lap time

Porsche 550 / 50 / 8.22 / 7.575

OSCA MT-4 / 50 / 7.89 / 7.484

Lancia D24 / 30 / 7.18 / 6.988

About half a second adrift for both of the smaller cars. It's clear now that there are some tuning/performance challenges ahead for these two cars..................!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:56 pm

It is indeed possible that the two are that much smaller than the Lancia, and they were designed to win a smaller engine size class, if not for the PanAm, at least for LeMans and other races of the day.

They both look really great, and it is a fun run after all. It does help to have last year's winner to compare to though.

I'm getting excited for this one to start.

Ole!

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:19 pm

That little Porsche would do just fine in a little 356 -550 Porsche proxy. I know ...... I know. Luckily I can take a hit

:violence-stickwhack: :violence-stickwhack:
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:36 am

Whack!
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to La Carrera Panamericana-2 Fun Run - 2016