[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Postby Audi1 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Well, it's a little early to start seeing builds (although shotgundave has jumped the gun and has his body pieces already chosen and in place................), but here's a place where you can share your thoughts on cars that you may enter and your progress on building them out.

I'll start off. I like Porsches (guess that makes me sort of normal.........) and one of my favorites ran in the La Carrera Panamericana race in 1953 and took top honors in its class. It was a Porsche 550 coupe.

This car won the small sports car class in the 1953 race and has always been a favorite of mine. I'm looking to source a resin body from John Warren (munter) and things are looking pretty good right now. So, stay tuned for this one.

The second is an OSCA MT-4. I've always been a fan of the Italian "I" cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini); Ferrari because of the looks and performance of their racers, Maserati because of it's early-years racing heritage and Lamborghini because it shows you just how far an infuriated tractor manufacturer will go to get even with a company that once slighted them...............

When the Maserati brothers sold their company to the Orsi family in 1937, the business moved from Bologna to Milan. They had a 10 year tie-up with the new owner; one that actually proved beneficial to all parties involved. But in 1947, after the tie-up ended, the three Maserati brothers formed OSCA (Officine Specializzate Costruzione Automobili), as a racing offshoot of Maserati and returned the factory to the Bologna area. The MT-4 was, to me, their best effort and it ran in the La Carrera Panamericana in 1954.

I'm looking to source a reasonable copy of the body of the #157 car that can be tweaked and then re-popped by a resin wizard................

So, that's my thinking............so far............

Then there's that Corvette C1 that I've always loved, and that ran in the La Carrera Panamericana.............................. Hmmmm :mrgreen:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Postby munter » Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 pm

I could call this a build but at the moment it is more of a resurrection.
The Buick body has been cut out, ground out, filled out and now you can see some of the repairs and progress I have made.
They say you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear or polish a %#^d but I am a perverse sort at times so here we go.

As seen previously
And now you can see it sitting with front and rear parts just pushed into place.

Previously I said it was a 55 but going by the headlight shape it is a 54.

Onwards good dremel, onwards.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Sun May 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Love that, Keith.

I cannot understand why it hasn't been done before now.

And Dave, that AK Miller sure is a one off....now, why did you choose that?
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 am

You guys are already looking really good!

That Buick, I have a feeling, is going to come out to be a very nice car. And with a 3D printed Stude.................watch out for retros standing on the podium...........

The OSCA is still a challenge at this point, but I have something in the works.............we'll see how it evolves.

Let's see some more cars/ideas for cars.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am

And also because it was basically a "Jalopy".
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 am

Ah, I think Keith nailed it with that one................another jalopy.......................but like the others, we all know this will be a nice one!!! :music-rockout:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 pm

Judging from what I have seen from the bench of SGD the Miller will be one sweet ride.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Beast Lee » Thu May 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu May 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape Dave! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby dge467 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Cool Dave! I can't decide on what to build. I got a 55 Chevy,or a 57 Ford, and a 55 T-Bird.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Audi1 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:19 am

Hmmm, 9 tooth pinion, 27 tooth crown, racing bearings, CBDesign wheels, Jack Rabbit motor - looks like he's loaded for bear!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri May 20, 2016 10:13 am

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:14 am

I'd go the T-Bird. It is just that little bit smaller and sleeker and should be faster.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DManley » Fri May 20, 2016 11:58 am

I ended up with three resin bodies on the 'bay. I am now waiting for a '54 Corvette, a Ferrari Abarth 166, and a Jaguar C type. All are open top cars, no coupes. I think the Ferrari and Jaguar can both be made pretty easily. I think the Corvette might take a bit more work, as I would have to add a top. Either way, I'll have fun building one of them for the proxy, and the other two for flying around the track. Now, I just have to find a source for interior parts and drivers. (I also need to find some narrow wheels, or find out what wheels you guys are using.)
DManley

Next

Return to La Carrera Panamericana-2 Fun Run - 2016