[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Re: La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Postby Audi1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:57 am

None of them for this race. There are none rated at 14k rpm, which is the motor spec for this fun run. We need more data on how theses motors perform before we put them in with the S-cans and the FF-050 motors. Maybe next year..........we'll see.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks Allan

That is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Never having been involved in a 132 proxy it is nice to know where your current efforts are going to place you.

I only have a Carrera plastic track to test on, and I believe traction is better because of the inherent magnetic force of the motor,which of course is non existent on a wood track. It appeared as if the 20x car was really lacking grip. I have installed a 15 ohm 2 watt resistor to tame this motor in other builds. Makes it more drivable, but these little motors do not have good braking effect and it was my biggest concern.

Believe it or not try less brakes, and hold yourself back from punching this car, you will feel like you are going slower ,but the lap times will prove otherwise. It would take some time to get used to this car and that in itself is probably a bad thing for a proxy racer.

Seeing how far off your track record I am, I can see I have much room for improvement in preparing a competitive chassis. The question will be can these gift card setups get there.

I still have lots of time to get another chassis prepared, and I will take these results back to the bench and see what I can do to improve the car that gets entered.

I sent Retro Racer the same gift card chassis with an even quicker long can, and it is absolutely insane for speed. I was afraid to limit the top end on these cars, just in case it was needed. Your feedback has me thinking the addition of the 15 ohm resister might be part of the fix.

I will pm you and make arrangements to get these back for some tweaking.

Again, thanks very much for taking the time to run these through some laps

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:43 pm

As a fellow tester of a similar car, I understand how the cars work. The Targa proxy has an open motor rule this year, and Dan's little 550 is a good one. I put it on track with my 550 from last year's Panam, and they were running similar times. Read that "mid-pack". The guide was barely into the slot so it came off easily, but I have changed the guide for Dan and am sure it will be better when I test it again tonight. I will let you all know how it does.

The motor in my test car is a long can, but seems smaller in diameter than an FF050. What is its designation? It seems almost round in cross section. It is also a real screamer, but I think it should be ok.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi Keith

That motor in the Porsche I sent you is a long can "N" class. Way more RPM and grunt then the car I sent to Allan. I know it is hard to handle, and you have to be on your toes. I need to find a way to make these easier to drive, which includes limiting the top end. I have an idea for some reactive traction control I might need to work on.

I'll be interested to see how it drives with the guide flag change you did for me.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Car has been returned to Kleskun Hills where a complete new chassis was built for this car, and sent back out to the Mexican country side.

Car was caught out on the town. It looks like others had the same idea

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Doubl-B » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:34 pm

DOES ANYONE KNOW ART OR DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ART AT DART HOBBIES IN CANADA?

Been trying for a couple of weeks to order motors and other parts for this proxy build but have not heard from him. Using this email: Art@darthobbies.com

Maybe his website is down, maybe his email is not working - or maybe mine is not working. Anyone got any ideas or a phone number, or heard anything about the business?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

BB
Doubl-B
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:25 pm

I'll send Art a message, Bob.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:35 pm

jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Art has been busy with his family at the cottage , and now that they are back at school i expect you should soon hear back from him.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:19 am

Looks pretty darn nice to me! A two-Stude team; great idea!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:09 am

Nice cars
Last edited by Mitch58 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:12 am

Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Doubl-B » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:42 am

Retro:
How does someone from the general population order one of these bulbous 3D Stuedbaker bodies? Is your friend working on any similarly built big American iron that would fit the bill for this proxy?
thx.
BB
Doubl-B
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Bob:

At the moment, I believe, this body is a one-off. I know of a few stock ones, and one 10% wider that he has made for club members and for others. I don't know a lot about 3D printing, but it seems as though once the car is done up in the file, small changes like the bulges over the wheels are fairly easy to do. It depends on the amount he needs to change. He just finished a Conestoga, that's the wagon version of this car for a guy who owns two real ones, but I know he spent hours working on that one.

He has made one for a very good resin caster to use as a buck, but I will wait until he is ready to announce that he has them for sale.

I have a 1938 Cord custom coachwork coupe that was the first 3D body Ron made. I don't know of anything Carrera-like that he is working on, except a Lister Knobbly, if that car ran the Carrera. Between the Conestoga and painting jobs for me, he has been quite busy of late.

Of course the jury is still out as to whether 3D printed bodies will stand up for a proxy. I may get home two brass chassis and a box full of nicely painted Studebaker pieces. Since this is a fun run, I hope the cars won't get thrashed that much, but we still don't know.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to La Carrera Panamericana-2 Fun Run - 2016