La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Re: La Carrera Panamericana-2 - The Builds

Postby Audi1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:06 pm

I think that Dan finally has a Porsche 550 spyder body to put over his 1/32 chassis. Looking forward to the mating of the two and some testing results.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 am

Yes I picked the car up tonight(thanks Allan). Test ran and tore it apart. I will build a couple of chassis to try with it. The car stock ,is not very good, so it should benefit a lot with a new chassis.

I'll post some pictures when I get it running

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:38 pm

I built another chassis. Another TIm Horton's GCC special with a Sidewinder. Aluminum rear wheels and PGT Urethane tires have this car turning some nice laps. Much better then the stock set up

The small Motor actually performs better then the FF030 I was going to use. I soldered in a Rev limiting resistor to keep the RPM down and protect the small motor from excess voltage This is a very smooth driveable chassis that some of you will be running, so I would be very interested in feedback as this is my first proxy race with this chassis.

I will strip James Dean's ride down tonight and soak the body in some Alcohol to get the paint off and get the car ready for the BARC livery. Rubbing alcohol won't hurt a Ninco body I hope? I'll be soaking it in a couple of hours, so if this isn't a good idea please let me know!

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 am

Looks really good, Dan! You have to find a way to run the car upside down - that Tim cup is a hoot!

IMO, a lot of cars suffer in the performance area because the motors are too powerful for the car; or the gearing it too low, etc. Overpowering, generally, sounds good going into a build (big motor = will be a fast car), but taming the drivetrain so that you have a quick, consistent, easy driver is usually challenging. I'm not surprised that a smaller motor on a light, non-podded car, like the Ninco 550 yields a good driver.

As far as the body goes, it's injection molded plastic, not resin, so the 91% isopropyl alcohol bath should be fine. I'll be doing the same thing to a Racer Sideways BMW M1 tonight. I actually soak overnight with no problems with the Racer cars. But, the shortest exposure is almost always the best way to go.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:42 am

Looking good so far! Leave the Tim Horton's on the bottom, that way if it deslots the turn marshal will have a sudden craving for a cup of coffee :mrgreen:

On stripping the body, if this follows my experience with Nincos in the past, it may take more than overnight to strip. Looking forward to the new livery.
(Note to self: get back to work in 300SL!)
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:41 am

July 31 1955

The BARC/Porsche Racing Team invited James Dean to drive it's latest Panamerican Proxy car. Driving at Kleskun Hills the Hollywood actor put the car through its paces and drove with a no fear attitude around the closed circuit. He refused to wear a helmet and reluctantly buckled up the seat belt at the insistence of the engineers.

After the session the famous celebrity was asked about his experience. With respect to his helmetless drive he had this to say.

"You want publicity then you need to see who is driving the car. No way was I going to hide the fun I was having by wearing a helmet"

When asked what he thought of the little Porsche he replied

" I got to get me one of them"

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Some more pictures after some more details were added, notably the Engine Grill covers, and a proper helmeted driver.
Lowered the front end a little more as well, maybe too much or I have to see how much lower the back end can go to level it up

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Lowered rear end. Nice to have these wheel wells that allow for this.

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:47 am

Sweeeettt!
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:47 am

That looks GREAT!!!
Two thumbs up sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Audi1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Unreal, Dave!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:42 pm

Great work Dave.
Insane? maybe......Cool? most definitely!!!
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Holy crap shotty. You have officially lost it!!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Looks great. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Dave, I have good news and bad and sort of good.

Good, your bumpers and bumperettes look great. The second car I owned was a 62 black sunroof, and you've nailed the shape and look of those bumpers. Bad news is they weren't available on a 1949 split window VW. The bumpers did not have the tubular upper level until maybe 53 or for sure 54. The sort of good news is that to make it all correct, you simply have to take out the pillar that separates your two back windows. The deluxe version with the oval window was available with those bumperettes.

I remember a bunch of my "friends" lifted my Bug by those bumperettes and parked it between two cars with an inch or two at each end. I had to wait until someone came and moved one of the cars. I was not amused. On another silly occasion, we drove all around downtown Toronto on a Saturday night with eight people in that Bug. I was driving, two on the seat beside me, four in the back seat and the smallest in the luggage compartment behind the rear seat. Things you could never do now, eh?

I liked your rack on top last round, and the car was heavy enough it wasn't too easy to roll.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to La Carrera Panamericana-2 Fun Run - 2016