[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Drop-In Motor for SCX Cars

New Drop-In Motor for SCX Cars

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

New Drop-In Motor for SCX Cars

Postby paul gage » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:30 am

Found a great replacement motor for the SCX cars with pods. Scaleauto makes a short can Boxer style motor with a 10mm armature that reaches the crown. SC-15/2 25K, part #SC-15B. Drops right in nice and tight and glues in using ShoeGoo by Amazing Goop. The connectors are on the end so it clears all the interior better than the old Slot.it SIMC03 V12/2 29K which is no longer available.

If you haven't tried a motor upgrade in your SCX, along with gears, axles, and alloy wheels, you are missing some fun! I take on Slot.it cars every week with my C6R and win more than my share of races. If SCX re-think their motors and upgrade, I'm confident they could be a leader in the RTR market performance wise!

Here's a pic of it in my Seat Toledo GT...

paul gage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New Drop-In Motor for SCX Cars

Postby Fast Co. » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:04 am

That's just the solution I need for my SCX C6R! Thanks Paul!
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 am

That's a good idea Paul. Did you make any changes in the guide? I've used the B-Nova guide adapters, and they allow you to use Slot It guides in these cars. Works much better than the stock ones. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby paul gage » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:50 am

paul gage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby raceeng18 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Cars with pods, I will assume this will work in the Barracuda. I'll have to give one a try. Good info, thank you.

Joe F.
raceeng18
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dr fabio » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:50 pm

That scaleauto has 25k and 230gm. Sounds like a FoxII with a wrapper on it. Whats the cost? You can pick up FoxII for $10.

cheers
rick1776
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby paul gage » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:56 pm

$10.00 for the Foxx, another $10.00 for the two collars. Scaleauto motor is about $16 to $18. The Slot.it and Scaleauto option are drop in and go.
paul gage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59 pm

G'day Guys,

The SCX 50280 - PRO MOTOR SPEED is a beauty too if you can find them still....

Its rated at 23,000RPM, I take the armature and magnets out of them and put them in the RX-42B can (heck, put it in an RX-42 if you like, doesnt matter!).

Its a great cheat for stock class to even up the SCX cars with the Scaley models (Scaley motors are rated way under their actual RPM) :)

Cheers,

Rupert.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrV » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:39 am

Is this the RX4H?
DrV

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:35 pm

...Just had a look at my notes when I was messing with the SCX motors....

Best RPM I have got out of the RX-42B is 11000RPM or thereabouts (rear wheels), I did a motor for our #42 Cuda, swapped out the RX-42B arm and mags with the pro-speed arm and mags, ended up with 10800RPM, at the time felt a little disappointed so built an #04 Cuda (RK-41, 8000RPM stock). I used the RX-4H arm and mags in an RX-42 can (why waste a "stamped" 42B can for home racing eh?), got 13800RPM, which I thought was pretty cool, pity if they start checking RPM on motors at club though....

...I've since run both Cuda's together quite a bit, the later #04 build was a heap closer to perfect buildwise than the first one (not to mention 2800RPM extra), but I've yet to see the advantage on either my small Scaley Sport home layout or our club Ogilvy layout. The "Pro-speed" built motor seems to have way more torque to me, which is anecdotal as I currently have no way of measuring motor torque. Ive put ten tooth pinions on both motors, I might drop back to a nine tooth on the faster motor to see if that will perk things up a bit.

They are good fun though to mess with, if Smokey Yunick was into slot cars I reckon he would be running SCX motors :P

Cheers,

Rupert.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Just had a look at the motor list at Slot Car News,

The Pro-Speed listed there is around the same RPM as a 42B and a little less torque (123 versus 130 G/cm for the 42B).

A quick check of internet listings for the Pro-Speed has it at 23000RPM, could SCX have made two versions of it?...

....sort of like delving into a bowl of chicken guts really.... :)

Anyway enough of this for me today, I need to get a Pioneer '67 Mustang notchback tuned...

Cheers,

Rupert.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LanciaB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 am

Hi Paul, nice to read this.

is the motor axis long enough to engage inside the crown, and avoid using stoppers ?

If so, could you mesure (in millimeters please...) the axis lenght ; my retailer is not having this motor, he has that one:
http://www.sp-collectable.com/boutique/ ... 5&path=256

...and I wonder if it's the same.

I also try to upgrade a GT Toledo, but I have some trouble with the front wheels, they are waayyy to much touching the track, even with low profile tires.

Did you have that problem, and how did you solve it ?

Regards,

Bruno/LanciaB

BTW still using you old "brown" Urethanes, 20.5x10.5 & SCX Nascars, they are almost impossible to use on SCX & Polistil track...and what a grip !
LanciaB

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm

I bought the slot.It motor and motor adaptor and after figuring out the motor mount facing the gear needs to be cut out and replaced with the part supplied with the motor it went together smoothly. I had to trim some of the interior tray in the Ferrari to get the bady and chassis to mate up. The car runs great with the new motor.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby paul gage » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:27 am

Hi Bruno, It's been quite a while. Hope all is well in la-belle-france for you and the family.

Yes, the SC-15B (or SC-15/2 as marked on the motor) has a long enough shaft to reach inside the crown gear. On some of the newer pods it reaches in too far. I align it and then glue it into place with shoo-goo or amazing-goop. The shaft is 9.3mm as close as I can measure it in the car. Standard motors have an 8mm shaft extension.

I like to run my cars with all four wheels taking the load. On the Seat Toledo GT I have very thin sided tires on the front and I glue the guide from the inside so it stops moving vertically or leaning sideways and climbing out of the slot in corners. Otherwise I have no trouble with SCX guides.

Hi Bob, this Scaleauto SC-15B motor will drop right in without interior tray mods. The wire tabs are on the end of the motor and there is approx 2mm extra clearance with the interior. I admit I much prefer the drive of SCX cars with the Slot.it 29K with 8Z pinion and 28Z crown. I just installed it in the SCX Alpine A110, amazing little car! The SC-15B as quite a bit more torque and I like it with an 8Z pinion and 24Z or 25Z crown gear.

It seems to me that far too much time and effort are being put into getting SCX motors to run well. Even converting them to Carrera motors is an improvement!
paul gage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale