Falcon Motor Question

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Falcon Motor Question

Postby Dodge Fan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't know alot about after market motors.
So is a TSRF #TOP 302-7 Falcon 7 Slot Car Motor different then a IRRA / D3 Legal TSRF Falcon Seven Motor Retro Legal? If so, are they the same size and witch one would be faster?
thanks guys
Dodge Fan

Re: Falcon Motor Question

Postby FootScoot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm

They are the same size. Which one is faster? I would say the ones made for commercial racing. The ones made for home racing or 1/32 are slower, because most home tracks don't have the power (amperage) to run the commercial motors. There are several of these type motors made and they are all the same size. Hope that helps. I'm sure someone here knows more about them than I do. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby bill from nh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Both Falcon 7s are the same motor, only the labeling is different. There never has been a Falcon 7 motor made for home racing. Not to say there aren't several same size motors used in home racing, such as the Fox & Fox II.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:06 am

I'll try to fill you in on what I know about the TSR D3 motor and some of the other variants of the 'FK' motor.

Falcon 4 - rotates in a CCW direction when viewed at the can end bushing. It is much slower then either the TSR D3 or Falcon 7. Still available and would make a good home style motor. Still has more power then most of the home type motors out there.

Falcon 7 - rotates in a CW direction when viewed at the can end bushing. 65 turns of #30 AWG wire. Typical timing is 15 degrees of advance. Typically has poor brakes. Can be very fast. Can be rather slow. It all depends on the luck of the draw.

TSR D3 - rotates in a CCW direction when viewed at the can end bushing. Typical timing is 3 degrees of advance. 65 turns of #30 AWG wire. Due to this the brakes are much better. The motor, once again due to less timing can use a 1 tooth larger pinion. It can run with the Falcon 7, PS-4002B, PS-4002BB and PS4002 motors. In a race where all the above motors are used, such as IRRA Can-Am or Formula 1, I have seen any of these motors win the race. Depending on track power, configuration and length, each of the motors has it's own characteristics that can be used to win. The only way to tell is to spend time testing and tuning.

There is also the TSRF Homeset motor. It is similar to the Falcon 4 motor.

I hope this helps.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby DAVE » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:53 pm

The Falcon IV rotates the same as the Falcon VII. The Falcon II is the reverse rotation motor. Falcon II's are still
available, we use them in the Chicagoland Raceway hot rod class. The Falcon IVs were notoriously undependable,
so Jerry replaced them with the Falcon VII. He lost the Falcon name and distributorship and replaced them with
the Hawk series of motors, all of which are much too hot for anything but a large commercial track. The TSR D-3
motor is also reverse rotation. It is competitive with the Falcon VII, but has different characteristics. It has more
torque and better brakes, but less maximum RPM. I am a seeded IRRA racer, and use these motors regularly. The
TSR D-3 has been the handout for the GT Coupe class at the Sano the last two years, and at other IRRA events
for many years. The TSR-F motor is more compatable with home racing, and would be the best choice for a
routed home track, although I use Falcon IIs in a lot of my 1/24th scale cars that I run with our group.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale