[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Manufacturers of slot cars.

Manufacturers of slot cars.

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Manufacturers of slot cars.

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:58 am

Okay, now y'all opened it up! That is a can of worms known as 1:32 guide flag post diameter standards.

I've raced in the 1:24 commercial world for more years than I care to think about at time. Early on we came to start using 3/16 or .1875. This same post size has been in use for almost the entire time that 1:24 slot cars have been around.

I kind of pains me to see that we need "adaptors" to change guide flags our from each and every manufacturer. Why not come up with some sort of standard so all guide flag posts are the same diameter. Then you can utilize a different guide flag on your slot cars without having to ream, drill or whatever else to the guide flag tongue to make it fit.

Okay, I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby goosenapper » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:33 am

Scalextric and Carrera are the two largest slot car manufacturers, and as such they've designed their cars to be placed in the slot and run straight from the box- and they generally do so particularly well if you are utilizing each brands dedicated track systems.

The Scaleys that I own ran good enough on Sport without any tuning, and even better once anything was done to the car. Ditto for Carrera on Carrera track. What stopped me dead in my tracks on Sport was that a contemporary standard Carrera guide simply would not work on my Sport set-up. The cars certainly couldn't make it through an R1 hairpin, and they even bound up on the straightaways. But I don't fault Carrera because they weren't designed to drive on that track. I picked up a bag of # 85309 universal guide keels, and the issue was solved.

But if you're looking for a slot car that doesn't run at all, I suggest trying a LeMans Miniatures. Yes, they have motors, guides, and something resembling gears, but they certainly are not engineered to travel any length of slot outside that which is to be found within the car's very own case. But if they happen to make a car that strikes your fancy and you don't mind putting in the effort to get it up to snuff, a tuned LMM is a thing of beauty in both looks and performance on a slot track.

:?:
But hey, bobbyraz49- What era of cars do you prefer to run? That makes a difference when it comes to nailing down preferred manufacturers. For me, I like a smattering of cars from the earliest days of motoring up to about 1970. Although there are several cars here and there after that time that catch my eye, I don't generally go ga-ga for them. That means that even though they run like butter, most Slot.it's just don't do it for me. That also means that even though they can chatter and jump like rocket-powered maniacs, I believe that Ninco Classics are tough to beat simply because of the models and makes on offer.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:14 am

For home racing that isn't governed by anybody' else's rules, I'm for the KISS method. If you like a particular class, style or vintage of race car, pick a manufacturer that makes the widest variety of cars in that class and stick with it. I'll start with Trans Am as my example. If you start trying to run Scaley Mustangs against Carrera Mustangs etc. most of you are going to wind up disappointed with the Carrera. If you race two Carrera Mustangs together, you won't know the difference. Now if you have another particular class, style or vintage of race car, buy the brand that supports that class the best. In this case my example will be Group C. NOBODY but nobody can touch Slot.it for quality and price in that class. The KISS answer must be Slot.it for Group C.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Sorry Dave. Naughty corner for me. I'll come out some time next year. OK?

I never said they didn't work. I said they needed work. As with EVERYTHING it is dependent on the track and the performance you like.

Happy to do penance. Harry... Please clean those comments out.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:20 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:09 am

So now when i post photos of the new Slot It chassis for the Carrera DTMs (just saw pix of them on Italiaslot today and i'm very excited about them) .... well... lets see the reaction ;)
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:31 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Gameover » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:40 am

Can't wait to try these!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby Flytoo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:05 am

Sweet looking ride indeed, bobbyraz49! :dance:

And, DaveKennedy, is Carrera and Slot.it, working together on these cars? If so, I sincerely hope that they come with shorter guide flags. I have Ninco track and I'm forced to replace the guide on every Carrera car I buy. This does drive up the cost, and is an inconvenience. Not sure if I should blame Ninco, or Carrera? Having said that, I don't have to change out guides on Monogram, Scaley, Artin, SCX, Fly, Slot.it, and of course Ninco cars. Just say'n. Do I still buy Carrera cars? Heck yeah! They look, and run great, and they are still a good bang for my slot car dollar. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on that C7R! Ok, rant off. We will now return to our regular scheduled thread.
Flytoo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:43 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Flytoo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Shortening up the guides is a great tip, you guys! :text-thankyouyellow:
Flytoo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:36 pm

There are several factors at work here. In no particular order, these include what kind of track/tracks you run on, whether you like the dreaded magnet racing, the level of tinkering and messing around you enjoy, and not least of all, what your taste in cars is. Some manufacturers don't usually make cars I want to see going around my track, some make cars that are unpleasantly fast, some are outrageously expensive and low quality everywhere but the body, some are expensive and the body is the least of their problems. But if you like a manufacturers value-to dollar ratio, you are going to buy it anyway. For me, best suited to my track and value-for-dollar are the most important things, since I can fix anything else if its worth doing, and that makes Carrera the undisputed king. Do I buy other cars? Yep. Lots of them. But credit where credit is due... Carrera rules the roost, since they have held prices down while others fouled their nests.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:09 pm

On the topic of Slot.it making American cars, they do, the Chaparral! This is an American car through and through.

My favourites manufacturers are NSR, Racer Sideways and Slot.it. The NSR is worth the extra cost, but can also be bought used for the same price as the others, or cheaper.
BNIB means nothing as soon as you start racing them, eh?

I really liked SCX Pro line, and my Nascar is my fastest of three brands and a scratch build, but, alas, SCX never expanded their line up. I would love to see other cars in this series, such as a Gurney TransAm Barracuda.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:32 pm

I have more than one of every manufacturer people have listed. I started like you, just buying a car here and there. Well, now I'm up to way too many cars.
Overall manufacturer: Carrera, great variety and usually run great right out of the box with maybe just a set of Paul Gage tires added.
Fastest car no mag out of the box a Revell Greenwood corvette (I have 3 and only one ran like that out of the box). Second fastest the new Carrera Cheetahs. They are also the fastest with mags. I liked them enough to buy one of each livery that is currently out in 1/32.
Most overrated in my opinion (I know it won't be popular here) Slot.it and NSR; Cars run ok but nothing special and cost twice or more what a Carrera or SCX does.
SCX has done a good job with their Trans am cars. The Camaros and mustangs I have run great (again one of each livery plus 3 or 4 fantasy liveries) but some people have reported problems with them.
Biggest difference I see in people's opinions regarding the cars is the type of track they run on, power source, controller and mag or no mag. That all makes a big difference in peoples thinking. I also sense some people have the attitude of: I paid more for it, it must be the best. As with most thing in life that is not necessarily true.
Oh, and if your running on big wood tracks or commercial raceways can't beat a parma with foam tires or silicone over foam with any of the hard body manufacturers even in 1/32.

Ventura Alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale