Odd Scalextric Mustang Observation!

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Odd Scalextric Mustang Observation!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:58 pm

So, it seems we have some quality issues at Scalextric. Bummer. The car is really nice, and now that I've fixed the guide, re-soldered the wire, and flipped the bumper, it is just about perfect.

I'm wondering if this is a new chassis mold. Has anyone else noticed a rough texture to the plastic on the front lower valance that is part of the chassis? On every other Mustang, this are is painted. This is not painted and I notice a pebble like texture similar to the bottom of the chassis. It is possible they have changed something or remolded the chassis and made a spec change. The guide issue could simply be the mold was goofed up in that area.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Well, I sent out the information across the pond.

We shall see what answer we get.

If you re-read the Camaro GT review, you will see this slip in quality as well. Interior is horrible with no markings, overall the car is a truck, etc.

I hope things get better in QC. I really liked what Scalextric had to offer, but recently things are taking a turn for the worse. I hope these issues are resolved.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Curiouser and curiouser... Here's the bottom lip of mine:

Is this the "pebble" you mean?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 pm

I was going to take a look at mine, but could seem to locate it. I know it's here somewhere. Where it is, is anyone's guess. I'll find it by golly. :banana-dreads:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby dreinecke » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Rob, looks just like that - not painted. Hey! Your bumper is the right way too LOL!

Were your wires soldered or clipped on?
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Burglar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 pm

The other thing I am thinking is that these were originally advertised as 500 only limited editions.

There seems to be an awful lot of them ...

I recently bought the Todco Racing '69 Camaro and it seems a MUCH better car, no guide problems or anything
Burglar

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 am

Mine are soldered at the motor, clipped at the guide. There is more side to side axle slip than normal, and these are the worst wheels to press with those tiny spokes. Normally, I would just insert a split ring nylon spacer on both sides, but this is too much and makes body rub happen just a little. I have a miniature woodworking clamp that stays parallel, so I'm not worried, but for those who press them by hand, be warned.

I must say, it is odd that this car runs so smoothly right from the box. Normally, there's a good deal of high speed screaming from Scaley gears until they are polished, then they are silk. Is it my imagination or are these cars a bit lower in front? I usually lower the bodies on the Mustangs and the Camaros in this series, and this one doesn't look like it needs it in front. Maybe its just the black all over that does it, and its an illusion.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Derby City Speedway » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Hmmm, I think after knowing all this, if I had 1 of these with a "seal" . It would stay just that way... just saying. Something may have gotten out that shouldn`t have.
Derby City Speedway
Derby City King

Postby dreinecke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:06 am

A friend just emailed me from Austrailia - he got one online from the UK and his is EXACTLY the way mine came:

White 1.5"x1.5" sticker with the model number on one side of the case "sealing" across the opening, pebble texture, bumper upside down, unpainted front valance, guide falling out of the mounting hole, wires soldered onto the tabs.

So, sounds like the mold for the chassis is wearing out (hence the slop in the guide mount) or it is a new one that is incorrectly done. As for the soldering, etc. it sounds like a rush job on the assembly line and a cost or corner cutting solution on the wires to the guide tabs.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby goosenapper » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:27 pm

While not specific to a Mustang, I have seen several Scalextric C2914 Mercedes 300 SLR Coupes that have quality control issues. I don't know if these are still being made, or the ones left available are a result over over-producing and a lack of demand, but there certain appears to be a lot of them left all over the net. I went through three last year after buying one off of amazon.com. The first one that I received was sealed in its bubble-wrap, but was missing it's interior rearview-mirror. I contacted Scalextric about it, and they suggested that I return it, which I did. The replacement that I received had rear wheel-wells that were cut jagged and very high up in to the fenders. Amazon told me to keep that one and sent me a third one that also looked like the wheel-wells were hacked at with a 1/32 scale machete. Checking Harry's review from 2008, the first shot in it seems to show that the rear well on the left side of his car is also a little jagged. My point is that quality control seems to have been an issue on at least certain releases by Scalextric for some time.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 pm

After reading all the posts here I have to say its a little disappointing. Scalex has been making these mustangs & camaros for years now. Why would they drop the ball now? If anything shouldnt they slightly improve the quality over time like some other manufactors have?
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:49 pm

That Todco Racing Camaro I bought has a lot of issues with the rear axle. After stuffing about with it for some time it appears that the spur was not pushed on far enough. I've had to take the wheels off etc, which with these kind of wheels on knurled axles is never a best option.

I'm happy to say that I have never experienced a similar issue with a Pioneer car. I've heard of some runs having decals that don't adhere as well as they should.

Two Scalextric cars and two lots of problems ... not encouraging!
Burglar

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale