[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Potential space problem

Potential space problem

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Potential space problem

Postby Modlerbob » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:13 pm

As some of you may have read DeBary Glen will be home to a second 1/32 scale track in the near future. To make room for the new track I have decided to sell, give away or store the HO railroad layout that occupies about half the space at the Glen. Utilizing my CAD experience I have been working on various configurations that will work in the space allowed. Some of you may also already know that I am in a wheelchair and the fact that other people visiting the facility are mobility challenged presents a space problem. One area of concern is that critical components cannot be located above a certain height as I spend significant time there alone. I also have a work bench that I will not sacrifice to space needs. So my question is should I shorten my original track by about four feet to allow the benchwork to be trimmed about 18". The trimming will not alter the shape of the track but it will shorten the main straights by about 1-1/2 track pieces. This is probably not strictly necessary as we can probably stuff the necessary components in the space without trimming the track but in my experience one of the things that has interfered with my enjoyment of some of the slot car places I have visited is tight spaces where someone is always in someone else's way. I think I would rather lose a little lap length if it makes getting around the track more comfortable. So far those I have mentioned the idea to don't like the idea of modifying the track and they favor the wait and see approach.

Opinions?
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Potential space problem

Postby Fast Co. » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:36 am

I would say it's worth it to sacrifice some lap length in order to gain necessary floor space. After all, a closed circuit is an infinite loop.
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:06 am

I would certainly shorten it. A few feet won't make it any less fun. I have raced at a few places that had the space issues you mention just so they could say they had "xxx running feet". It would have been well worth the reduced track length :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:56 am

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:48 am

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I had to make the same decision while building my shop attic track. I could have added another 6 ft. of length or about 12 running feet of track. But doing that would have made an already tight space even tighter. I chose elbow room over track length and am glad I did. I shortened this Image to get this
Besides, what is a little more straight? Straight sections are the least fun part of a track IMHO. Enjoy on the wood!

Mike
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Bob, I agree with everyone to shorten it. You've got a unique situation and I think the accessibility of your track for others is important. 18" isn't going to make a difference.

When I recently re-routed my pits, I wanted to go bigger - until I laid a board out and realized it was close enough to my workbench to make working uncomfortable.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 am

Your friends will measure your track by how much fun they have, not whether it's a 50 foot track or an 80 foot track. If space limitations create a cramped atmosphere where nobody can get around each other and adds to marshalling aggravations, then you're cutting into the fun just so the track can be a little longer.

Comfortable people are happier than uncomfortable people. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks for all of the input. As it stands now, first I have to get the HO railroad layout out of the building. I am looking for a buyer that will give it a new home. If, as the date approaches for the new track to arrive, no one has taken it off my hands I will have it disassembled and stored at my residence. Before the new track arrives I will also have several pieces of furniture relocated to allow for room to bring in the new track toward the back of the room. Then I will assess my ability to move about. If at that point it just seems too tight then I will have the leaf in the table that was added a while back cut back by 18" and shorten the track accordingly. At least now I feel my attitude toward comfort vs. track length is confirmed.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale