Candies

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Candies

Postby frank9129 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Back in the day ...
I went to the Slot Car Center and bought a new car, put it on the track and went back to the counter. Tires, I had no grip with the original tires. The Old man behind the counter (25) sold be a pair of "Candies". They were white with several colors running through the white. Man did I have grip.
Does anyone make Candies or does anyone know how to mix the colors to make them?
Frank
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Candies

Postby bill from nh » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Candies, super traction on chrome threaded plastic hubs. I got a pair of bright yellow ones that are as soft today as they were when I put them on the car in 1967. I never knew how the colors got mixed, but all colors I've seen were soft. I don't think they are still being made, but occasionally someone sells NOS ones on ebay. Frank, I'd think your best bet today might be to try some of the urethanes, such as those made by Paul Gage.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm

I remember "Candies" silicones. They were supposedly so soft they would make their own tread pattern after they were ran a while. I think the best looking silicone tires were Cox Sil-Slicks. American mag style wheels black tires with white letters, just cool. 8-)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby RichD » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:20 am

I remember Candies Competition Supergrips. They came in every color and combination of colors except plain black. At the time they were about the best tire you could get. I thought that tires should be black, so I bought all of the dark gray Candies that I could find. I still have a few pair of Candies after all these years and they still work as well as they did in the '60s. A modern foam tire with traction compound on it has more grip.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DAVE » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Candies were made by AJ's tires. I seem to remember that Professor Motor had some re-pops
some time ago. Check with him to see if he still has any laying around.
As for grip, candies were still just silicones and weren't any better than anyone else's. I had
the best luck with Mille Miglia tires and wheels at the track I raced at. All silicones made at the
time were molded in open faced molds and had a sharp inside edge which needed to be sanded
to a radius. Most racers also sanded the tread area, but those of us who raced on formica topped
tracks found that they worked better if left shiny.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Thank you, that is what I was looking for.
I'll check into it.
Frank
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Dave is right. Those were an AJ's product, and they were somehow different from regular AJ's silicones. I seem to remember that guys were always cleaning them off with some fluid on a rag, and that the rag couldn't be in their box with the cars because long contact with the fluid melted paint or plastic or something. We had rather small, tightly packed slot boxes in those days, converted from those steel tackle boxes about the size of a shoe box.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Derby City Speedway » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Here are a set Paul set us to try in one of our large club orders. They hook just like the regular PG tires. This is Terry Whitlows car I took the pik last night just for this post.

Derby City Speedway
Derby City King

Postby olskoolslotz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Last edited by olskoolslotz on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Take a picture of the package for us to refresh memories.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby olskoolslotz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Last edited by olskoolslotz on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby RichD » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Here are some Candies. About 15 years ago we used to race vintage '60s cars from time to time and I replaced the Candies that were on some of those with modern foam tires. I remember that AJs silicone tires came in clear plastic boxes, I can't remember how Candies were packaged. A few years ago Professor Motor was selling NOS Candies.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Yah! That's what I remember.
NOw just to find a couple. The were great.
Thank you,
Frank :xsots
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scuderia-del-teschio aka » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:29 pm

hi racers,NSR do new racing tyres in blue compound.Don't forget to check it out of the new 2mm standard on axles,gears & bushings.Go to ITALIASLOT.COM!!!
cheers
scuderia-del-teschio aka

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 pm

How about that? We used to call everything black a silicone and everything colored was Candies. Of course, I think the eldest of us was 14 or so...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale