[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Improving the R/M McLaren M6A

Improving the R/M McLaren M6A

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Improving the R/M McLaren M6A

Postby Modlerbob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 pm

About two years ago when I was getting started with 1/32 slot cars I got hold of the R/M McLaren M6A, Denny Hulmes ride. I also had a copy of a slot car magazine that featured the R/M car and the article showed a way to get the body lowered to a more realistic stance. It involved trimming the body mounting screw posts so that the front wheels would sit deeper in the wells. But it also invlved careful trimming of other components to allow the chassis to fit further up into the body shell. What was already a tight fit became even tighter and arranging things like the guide flag and the lead wires was difficult at best. I followed the instructions in the article and ended up with the body sitting a little lower and no flex between the body and the chassis. Recently, I got the red #11 McLaren in one of Electric Dreams 2-fer deals. I initially decided I would leave the body height alone and not try trimming the screw posts. One day when I had the car apart I noticed that the front axle had its own nylon bushings instead of just holes in the chassis. I also noticed that when sitting on a test block the guide flag was only about half way in the slot. That's when I got an idea. I opened up the retainers for the nylon axle bushings so they could slide up or down and thereby adjust the ride height. After the openings were trimmed I mounted the front axle with hub and tires installed and set the car on my test block. Then I pushed down on the guide flag until the braids were flat on the test block. The nylon bushings had moved up in their carriers about 1/16", I looked at the bottom of the chassis and it still had more than legal clearance so I then CA glued the bushings in place. All I had to trim on the body this time was the inside of the wheel wells where the bottoms of the mirrors poked through. I also had to trim off the mount for the screw that held the car on the base it came on and the bottom of the magnet pocket that protruded below the bottom of the chassis. Now with the body all buttoned up there is room for a little flex, the front wheels spin freely and the car has a much better stance. The CG is also significantly lower. Here are some images illustrating what I did, inluding a before shot.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Improving the R/M McLaren M6A

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:12 pm

Those cars can be made to run really good with a little work IF they have round wheels which seems to be an issue with more than a few of them.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 am

Congrats on getting your car the way you like it. Nice tip on the front axle.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:14 am

Nice tip, Bob, thanks for posting pictures. R/M does such a great job with the bodies, then every single car gets this tippy-toe stance, like the car is trying to look over the car ahead of it on the grid.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby dreinecke » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:41 am

Bob - great idea on the front axle! I have trued the tires, shimmed the guide, and put 1/4 oz. of weight in the magnet pocket. They run great on my wood track. As soon as I get some tires ordered, it should be awesome.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Nice write up bob!

For some odd reason, I just really like this picture... Dunno why... :P
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:19 pm

That's not nice Kurt!!! :lol:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:23 pm

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Great idea on the front axle!
KnowtoriousWon

Postby FootScoot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:35 pm

I have done that same mod on a lot of cars, and it does work very well. Sure does get the guide down further down in the slot. Nice one Bob. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Last edited by Modlerbob on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale