[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric thoughts

Scalextric thoughts

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Scalextric thoughts

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 am

Actually, the Ninco Corvette was roundly thrashed at the time...

Back on topic - I see slotcars4u has the Charger decals listed again. My understanding is that they'd "bought" all of his artwork for the Chargers. Now that he's re-listed them, I think it is a safe bet that they are one and done.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:48 am

Yeah, I think that its expected that the more people love a car or a paint job, the more they are incensed when cheap short cuts are taken that ruin it. That Ninco Corvette jazz was a feeding frenzy all over the world when people saw the error.

I have always liked the quality of Slotcars4u decals. I wish they had more that I could use. I had him make Marlboro decals for several of the sensored liveries on cars, and he did a great job for a very reasonable cost. I'm not surprised in the least that Scalextric thought enough of them to use them for the car.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, Scalextric gets a free pass on this one, basically because they make toys. I look to the hobby companies to get the details right (or more right than this, I should say). The toy companies can do what they want, because they have to deliver a product to sell at toy prices, and their market isn't as discerning as hobbyists are.

But if they're going to get a free pass on detail so they can sell toys, then they have to deliver cars that stand up to what their audience dishes out. They don't (IMO) so other companies get my business.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:07 pm

I guess I'm that kind of a toy guy, then. I say a slot car that costs close to $100 is double price, or stupid fast and unrealistic for that reason. I'd much rather be able to see a car with errors than try to rationalize a car that is supposed to be hobby scale and goes a scale 600mph. That's just silly. Very definitely in the kid's toy category to me.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:27 am

Yep, I'm big fan of Pioneer. Best of both worlds and surely the best argument for "slot cars don't have to cost so much" to be good stuff all around. Excellent product, good value for dollar spent, maybe the best for my money. And also important, they sell excellent parts separately, making Pioneer running gear very important to scratch builders.

Its so important that the price line has to be drawn for our hobby. In the 1960s, scale racing nearly disappeared as plastic bubbles that didn't look much like cars took over, and the costs of slotracing went absolutely nuts. The hobby all but died as a result. In no time at all, competing hobbies that were affordable took over, young folks never even tried slot cars because slotracing became obscure and hard to find, not to mention no kid could ever participate for the cost.

Today, with mass communication more prevalent and HRW among others here to promote and enhance the hobby, we have a better than even chance of passing this wonderful fun to generations after us, but we need to learn from what has happened to other pursuits as the costs went crazy and "standard" merchandise was dropped in favor of over-engineered nonsense (ex. golf, tennis, fishing, hunting, bicycling, sailing, woodworking, hotrod hobbies, etc).
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby HRWJim » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Well I for DO remember the outcry for the Ninco Corvette. It took up multiple pages also. I will say it makes me just that much more happy when I spend my money on Pioneer,Monogram and Fly cars that are correct. I don't mind spending money to make a car run like I want but I do get irritated when they obviously don't care. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Jesla » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 pm

....don't get me start on Ninco........but now I've moved on to some of the higher end cars, figure if I'm going to spend $XXX.XX amount then I might as well move on up.......After a few LMM's and Racers, Scaley and others, really are toyish. I'd rather get one really cool car as two or three Toy cars these days. All out Speed ain't my main gig anymore....it's more about balance..........
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:23 am

G'day Guys,

Just had a look at this "Thing", what an absolute shocker, I was really looking forward to this getting this model, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole (as I have done with the other Scaley chargers from this mold)!!!

....Lets hope they get the upcoming Ford XB GT Falcon a little closer to the mark, or is it going to resemble a reverse window Ford Anglia perhaps???

Give me the Carrera classic Nascars anytime!

Cheers,

Rupert.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:06 am

Burglar

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

:lol:

Yes!!!

They should've left the brush bar on the front of it too, could'nt have hurt its looks anymore by doing that....

....what a sick joke on us....

More Charger 500's please Mr Carrera, show those English how a stocker is meant to look!!!

Cheers,

Rupert.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Bilby, this is a thing of beauty compared to that red and white one with the blower glued to the hood coming out next week!
I haven't seen a 500 from Carrera in a while, just some new "wingmobiles". If we ask real nice, Jules @ Pioneer could supply some correct 68 Charger NASCARs :pray:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

"Cooter" was involved in this...

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:55 pm

.....and crystal meth probably was in some form as well....

....absolutely as far as that latest street version, kinda reminds me of those old matchbox cars with the oversize wheels and big blower out of the hood!

Cheers,

Rupert
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale