[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric thoughts

Scalextric thoughts

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Scalextric thoughts

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:53 pm

I can't seem to find that topic about the upcoming Charger that looks to be kinda hinky, but I have looked into it a bit further. Scaley already makes a 1968 Charger in several liveries, and a 1969 Charger in several liveries. I looked at the front and rear of both, and they are pretty close to true. This new one is so wrong in the front, I wondered if it was a different year. Sure enough, it looks very much like the front end of the 1971 Charger. Could they have simply gotten the wrong year for the livery they planned to do? We will know when we see the rear end of this new one.

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: Scalextric thoughts

Postby dreinecke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Rob,

The Charger is wrong because they put the correct livery on the wrong car. It should be a Charger 500 - the rear window flush with the rest of the roof and it used a 1968 Coronet Grille up front.

Charger 500, and the correct car:
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

But what year? That chrome vertical bar isn't on the '68.'69, or '70, but it does appear on the '71. I never noticed the rear window- even back then.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:36 pm

They used a 1969, left it chrome and added the lights since those were exposed on the 500 model - actually, they were flush with the grille and moced out to the edge of the nose with the grille.

My opinion is that they only had the 69 from doing the General Lee:

There were Charger 500's on the street - I knew 2 in HS, and probably a dozen on the local Mopar club roster.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm

That car and that show were anathema in the South- we thought Hollywood was taking cheap shots at us.

So you think that shallow grill is the same as the deep recess grill from the '69?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi guys,
Ive been away for a bit. Just catching up now. Im trying to stay positive about the scalex charger. But in ways it is hard to. Heres a quick reply as Im just about to head out the door. These are just my observations, so dont blast me if Im wrong.

The wheels are just wrong. No matter how you look at it.

The rear window. Plenty of cars ran in nascar & USAC with the tunnel rear window. Not every charger had the flush 500 rear window. Ive got a whole folder on my computer which has about 200 pics of chargers between 1968 & 1970. Some had the 500 flush others had the recessed tunnel window. I can post upsome photos later tonight. The only photos Ive seen on the #22 blue & gold livery has the flush rear window. In all honesty Im happy if scalextric release it with the flush 500 or the recessed tunnel window. In saying that the flush is probably more accurate for this particular car. Just looking at some photos of Bobby Isaac K&K Ins #71 charger. In 1968 he ran a recessed window, 68 & 69 had the flush 500 window & 1970 went back to the tunnel window.

The grille looks like a bit of a frankenstein. It is a 1969 RT grille surround with 500 lights. The 69 RT grille had the flip around headlights. But the grille insert where the lights are are just wrong. Its like they just stuck some headlights from a 500 on there to replicate the 69 racecar. The RT grille had the centre rib running down the middle of the grille & the 500 does not have this. The 69 race cars all ran the 500 grille I think which is like the first pic in the thread(the brown charger) or even a 68 grille. What Im trying to say is that grille is not accurate to any charger, race or road. Just a hodge podge. Also the bumper is wrong.
Last edited by MoparGreg on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:34 pm

Good grief. Its more confusing than I thought. The only thing that is clear is that the rear of the car is very unlikely to be 1971, which I was wondering about. I have it on order, so I'll see what I can do when it gets here. What I'd like is if I can put those hubcapped wheels on a Roadrunner street car, and swap in the Carerra wheels for the #22.

I must say, that rear window discussion is a complete surprise to me. Makes me want to go look in Google for images.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:56 pm

It is definately not a 1971 charger. The 1968 to 1970 charger was basically the same body. Between each year the grilles, taillights etc changed. 1971 was a totally different body, very different. That body style ran from 1971 to 74 I think.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 pm

It is just a repaint of the General Lee with some headlights added and different wheels, maybe a different interior tray.

From what I have read of the Chargers in 1969 some privateers ran the tunnel back window in all races and many bigger teams ran them too in short track races but the big teams ran the flush window for the higher speed tracks.

Grille, bumper, headlights, wheels, rear window, and probably rear light panel are all wrong. This is Truxmore Torino revisited.

P.S. For more information and film on the Charger 500 in NASCAR look at the following page:

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/vinta ... rm-nascar/
Burglar

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:22 am

The only difference in the sheet metal that I saw was the rear roof pillar.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby goosenapper » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 am

I could live with the incorrect rear window and maybe even the grill, but the wheels are the killer for me. On top of that, what stock car takes to the track with windshield wipers and a side mirror? Maybe Scaley is just modeling a road-legal car that was painted up by a fan to look like the Allison version. They certainly couldn't have been trying to nail the real thing!
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Wheels can be easily changed. As a huge fan of Bobby A., I can not be more disappointed that they didn't make the correct Charger 500 he ran in this livery. Yes, other non-500 Chargers ran GN, this wasn't one of them.

I am still :angry-fire:
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:54 pm

MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Hey, lighten up guys......they left off the CB antenna :shifty: Seriously, this will probably end up as the "new Truxmore Torino" and being a source/donor car for many (Dundee, you listening?). I don't seem to remember near as much outcry when Ninco did the "wrong" Corvette for the Carrera PanAmericana car.....maybe because Scaley is more affordable more would buy the "correct" car. Be patient and ask nice, maybe Jules can do some correct tunnel window NASCAR Chargers.....
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, but Ninco costs waaay too much for what you get, and they have a long history of doing dumb things like that "wrong year" series of Corvettes.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale