[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What a lot of work! I did it- all four!

What a lot of work! I did it- all four!

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

What a lot of work! I did it- all four!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: What a lot of work!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Congrats :) Remember, building is fun right?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Great work Rob. I would like to turn my own wheels one day
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:01 pm

IF I can do it 3 more times, I'll never turn anything this tiny again. I suddenly realized during the boring process that it would have been much easier to turn HO wheels. Seriously, a lot easier. I may turn some 1/32 wheels in the future now I know I can do it, but believe me, a 10 inch diameter wheel in 1/32 is too small for my eyes, hands and tools. Oddly, an HO wheel is so much more simplified, I think they would be simple.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ember » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Just a little bit of madness there.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby transam6870 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:32 pm

I totally feel your pain. these are the wheels that I turn for my 1/43 Austin Minis they have a .240 o.d.
you did a fine job, they look great

transam6870
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:38 pm

A quarter inch diameter? Do you turn them on a drill? Snug up to a drum sander that is running the opposite direction? Man, I thought I was beating myself up. Wow.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Well, that proves it: I'm WAY too lazy to do this kind of work...nice stuff both of you.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby FootScoot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:07 am

Nice work guys. No wonder most places CNC those wheels. They are too tedious for hand work. I got my smallish wheels from Ranch Designs. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby ddyke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:22 am

There are machinable resins. Have you considered making a mold with the low shrinkage silicones (.001"/inchor less) and just casting a bunch. Ream the hole on each when done. If you screw up you have lost a few cents worth of resin. Mold Max® XLS® II
Last edited by ddyke on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:23 am

Wow, that's cool, Rob. Great work! Lots of respect for the guys who build from scratch, turning lumps of metal into something useful.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby transam6870 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 pm

I have a couple of benchtop lathes that I turn wheels and such on. great investment. my grandfather left me one of them and I am a machinist by trade. you should look into one.
transam6870
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Mine's a Cummins 7X14. I have been looking for years for decent instruction. Ironically, one of my closest friends here is a miniature machinist (founding work), but he never has time to teach me what I need to know. So, I learn from Youtube and some books I ordered. Lately, I found a deal on the best textbook out there ($126, discounted to $24 and older edition). That should really put me ahead of where I am.

I got the lathe for making small finials to go on cabinetry I build, but I haven't done a lot of that after all. I use it for stripping foam tires off wheels, turning aluminum wheels to a narrower size, making inserts out of plastic wheels, etc.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby transam6870 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Ah very good. that should serve you well. once you have the hang of it, it will come easy to you. I went to school for it many moons ago but you really have to teach yourself. so far those Austin mini wheels have been the hardest to do. I scrapped 3 before I got a good set. I turned these tonight for a 39 Mercedes grand prix car. I got 3 done and my endmill chipped so I will have to get another tomorrow. the depth for the insert is only .060 with the backing at only .050 so keeping it from blowing out was tough. the Austin wheel is there for size comp.

transam6870
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:52 pm

W154? Those cars have a lot of fans around HRW, me and Matt B in particular.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale