[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Describe your transition to magnet-less ...

Describe your transition to magnet-less ...

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Describe your transition to magnet-less ...

Postby balsaworks » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:50 pm

balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:57 pm

I like the Beetles but the Vette is killer.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Well any racing is fun,but...
Years back we were also running HO,then found some T-jets.Fun.
Went to a hobby shop to buy a couple of buildings for the HO and saw this huge track that the guys were racing 1/32 cars on.Wow,never seen any thing at all like that.Came home with a large scaley classic set,extra cars,etc.We were racing mags,didn't know of any other way with these boys.Once again,went back to the hobby shop and saw the same guys racing some SCX rally cars,no mag ,slower,but ton's of fun.Built a wood track and the rest is kinda history.Now I don't have any thing against racing with mags.
I do it on a small plastic track.Set a ghost car up,with mag,and try to catch it with a demagnetised car.
If your racing,mag or not,the main thing is that you are having fun.That is what this hobby is all about!!

Rusty
Last edited by ourwayband on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I always loved running T-Jets opposed to the newer H.O. cars. When I got into 1/32, the track I ran at ran magnet and non magnet races. I do like the challenge of setting up a no mag car and the slower, more realistic cornering speeds. Racing either way is fun for me!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby bkrownd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:26 pm

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Every now and again I like a little magnetism....it has its place.

Plastic track 2006 vintage Carrera car with no mags and a new driver chasing me around with full mags.
Not so much fun.....

Later.....3 routed tracks,no magents and lots of fun :dance:
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm

I race with 2 different 1/32 scale slot car clubs. One club uses ready to run cars like Scalextric, Ninco, SCX, Slot-it, Pro Slot, and others. We race 9 different classes of cars from vintage Ninco to Modified Sports Prototype with the faster classes having as much as 500gr. of magnetic downforce, and the slower classes having no magnetic downforce. The other club I race with uses scratch built chassis [brass and wire multi hinged works of art reminiscent of the stuff built in the 60's and 70's] clear lexan bodies, foam tires and races 7 different classes of cars from vintage to Modern Sports Prototype and F1. Both clubs use the same tracks [wood, and plastic] and keep track of best times for each class and so on. What I'm getting at is the best times for both clubs using totally different cars, magnet verses non magnet, class by class, are remarkably similar. Magnets are great if you want them, but there not needed to go fast and corner like.....well like an F1 car.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:36 pm

I started out with a scalextric set in the 70's so no mag was what I was used to. When the mag cars came out (well not the earliest ones because the magnets in those were woeful anyway) that was quite the learning curve to me suddenly the cars were coming off at warp speed and then I had a wrecked car. It meant a whole different approach.
I don't mind racing with or without it just means a different mindset to do it, but would say I prefer non mag.
Any race is a good race with or without mags, much better than work. :lol:
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GFG 3 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:01 am

I too started with HO, then was put in touch with Dickie Pearson (SCC). HE invited me to a WNR race, handed me a car, a controller, pointed me to the track and said nobody watches, everyone races, have fun. That was almost 10 years ago. The group I race with now race both ways, I have a hard time racing with magnets. But either way, if you are not having fun you are doing something wrong.
GFG 3

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:19 am

In the last few years, I've been pushing back against no-mag -- not in favor of mag cars, but just away from no-mag cars that are tuned so well that they stick like a mag car. Remember, wing cars are no-mag, too. No-mag cars are being tuned so that the nose never comes out of the slot, and so that the tail corrects oversteer without any driver input. Isn't that ultimately the complaint about mag cars, anyway? Might as well mount a rear guide flag and be done with it. :lol:

So I gravitate towards cars that need to be driven well in order to go fast and stay on the track, and that can happen with both mag and no-mag cars.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale