Scalextric Dodge Daytona

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Scalextric Dodge Daytona

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 am

Boy, if you're going to challenge Carrera on one of its strengths, you'd better bring your A game. Time will tell, I guess, but this is looking like a mistake (said the armchair quarterback). :dance:
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby FootScoot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:02 am

If....and that's a big if, they lose the tail pipe tips, as we all know race cars don't have them, and fix the nose piece, as we all know they are flush to the body surfaces all around, it may turn out OK. Like I said it's a big if. As is it's not on my radar. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby TsgtRet » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:58 am

From the pics it doesn't look like they "fixed" the rear window.....just stuck on a piece of clear plastic to match up with the roofline (note red "package shelf" seen through back window). As for the nose, about a poud of putty and several Dremel sanding drums might make it presentable. Of course by the time you've done all this you could just buy a Carrera and be done with it. As has been noted, nice chassis donor.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smithspeedway » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:40 am

The manufacturers are missing an opportunity by duplicating efforts. Rather than make a car that already exists, it has always mystified me why they wouldn't make something different in the same genre. We have Torinos and Chargers. They should have made a 71 Monte Carlo, Montego, or something that would run with what is already out there. Having more variety would broaden the appeal. If the brands aren't competitive with each other in terms of performance, a local rules package can usually fix it. Even better, sending piles of letters to one manufacturer that they are getting smoked on the track by their competitor might drive engineering improvements.

Scaley's decision baffles me.

Steve
smithspeedway
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm

The other side of the coin is that many people just like the way Scalextric cars drive, and will be happy to have a non-Carrera version of the car, warts and all. Enough to justify the cost of tooling this car? Doubt it, but we'll see.

For those of you who have been around for 10 years or more, did you ever think you'd see the day when Carrera would be the brand of choice over Scalextric in a particular genre? :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Carrera has come a long way. I would say they have improved their product more than any of the other major brands.

One thing that helps today is all the cool toys we have to tune them up. 10 years ago getting a decent wheel, tire, or gear was not a simple click away. Today? Wow :)

And with the best price in the industry, many tuners are choosing them. If you are going to rebuild a toy to make it run how you like it, why not start with a lower-priced one?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Yep, Carrera delivers a better looking version of the car for 10 bucks less. No-brainer for me, which helps because, well, I got no brain.

:banana-dance:
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Oh boy this Daytona is so depressing in many ways. I was looking forward to this car. Yes I have the Carrera but I was looking forward to getting the Scalex as well. But that scalex, what a mess. I honestly cant get over that rear window. Theres so many issues with this car, Im not so sure why Scalex even bothered.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Yes Chaps,

Quite a disappointment, what?

I was hoping Scalextric would rise to the standard that Carrera has long held in this specific Genre but Alas, they have not come to the party for us it seems...

I have to say though it is an improvement overall from their Charger thingies.

Would I buy one for the "performance" advantage Scaley seems to offer the minority magnet racing group I proudly belong to?

If their XB Ford Falcon was anything to go by, probably not!

I was so disappointed with the performance of that model at Christmas time, I threw it into a corner of my workbench, turned off the garage light and went into "Archery/University" stasis for ten months :)

I think I will pass on this one, enjoy my Carrera classic Nascars, a very proven product by the way and spend my dollars on the upcoming Challenger/Cougar and one of Jules exquisite little Camaros (if I can source one), these models are where its at right now folks :)

... Oh and dont forget the latest Carrera Daytona, now THAT is something special!!!!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale