For Classic F1 Tragics

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

For Classic F1 Tragics

Postby Reslotted » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Well the news out of Europe, is that at the Slotlandia Show in Milan, there has now been a tie up between the owners of the Policar brand name and Slot it to produce a range of Classic 70's F1 cars starting with the Gold Leaf Lotus 72.
Details are sketchy at the moment but for classic F1 Tragics like myself it's awesome news.
You just know that if Slot It are involved these things will run great out of the box.
Coming hot on the heels of the Slot it McLaren Can Am Car, perhaps slot it have seen the light that all things old are back in style?
Personally I never thought that the 70's ever went out of style, lucky I kept that old suit :lol: .
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: For Classic F1 Tragics

Postby Alaskaracer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I like the sound of this!
Alaskaracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Yes it appears this way.

Not sure what the future holds though. I have seen some reports and a few test shots, but time will tell.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Oh heck yeah! I'm IN. 2014 is going to suck money-wise...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby crossovercrazy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Most of you have probably seen it, but the gearing set up they plan to use has an intermediate spur gear that interacts with the axle spur gear, attached to a crown gear that engages the motor pinion. I think the purpose is an attempt to get proper gear mesh with a low-slung FF motor without the hypocycloid gears. Looks pretty clever, and supposedly increases braking as well - hope it just doesn't end up like the Vanquish trick tranny. It looks from the pictures to have plastic wheels, and very little set screw attachments, so I assume they are trying to keep cost low (the bodies also have just a moderate amount of detail (maybe similar to the GB Track approach) but much better than the earlier Polycars).

Who knows where this will go (I prefer F1 cars before this era), but it is good that new novel things are being tried in our sport, as a sign of vitality.
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:50 am

Mike, this setup sounds similar to the one used by Flyslot in their vintage GP cars -- kind of anglewinder meets sidewinder meets inline. Have any pictures of the proposed drivetrain?
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:03 am

Hard to get to decent photos with all the ads and watermarks, but here goes.

Funny in a way, as I think the Fly models that are straight inline (March, Lotus) run pretty good.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:11 am

Thanks, Harry!

Great looking setup, as long as you don't care about all the extra friction (I don't). No doubt this will become the chassis of choice for vintage GP projects in the future. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby FootScoot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 am

That's a slick setup using the crown gear as a driven and idler at the same time. I too like the '70's F-1's. They at least had style unlike todays F-1 cookie cutters. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale