[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Tuning the Scalextric '70's Camaros

Tuning the Scalextric '70's Camaros

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Tuning the Scalextric '70's Camaros

Postby hksk25 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 pm

If allowed, they are probably adding a smaller mag on top of stock. Also try swapping mags with other cars. There is a fairly large range of magnetic strength from magnet to magnet. How do you determine how much the tires are sanded? The lower the tires the more magnetic pull you will have.
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby redlynr » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Have all of the cars been check on a mag marshall? Scaley has 3 different thicknesses of magnets, you may have a thinner one...
redlynr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Mike,
Thank you for the additional follow up.
I agree, that the fast way around is normally not with the tail hanging out. :)
I have done a search on the oil/superglue trick and will be looking at giving that a try - as particularly my left bushing is notably "sloppy" - even though it is glued into the chassis (ie - the bore is loose - it's not loose in the chassis).
I did check the side-to-side play, and it is actually pretty good on this car at approximately .030". (which is a lot better than I have on my GT-40 car which is in excess of .060"!)
I don't "think" the rules allow for the addition of washers (have to check on that) - if they do I can easily tighten that up with a couple split washers. :)
I regard to driving style, I have tried a couple different driving styles with this car, ranging from driving it in deep/braking late, to backing the corner up and trying to get more coast through the corner / rolling into the throttle toward the end of the corner. The diving deep / late braking method was extremely difficult for me to control as it would snap loose / spin out if you just looked at it funny... (ie - pretty much no grey line between making the corner and wrecking when you were "pushing it"). I found backing the corner up and rolling into the throttle through the corner to full on exit, was the easiest way to drive the car as at least there, there is a zone of "oops - pushing it too hard" that results in the tail out / drift, leading to further tail out chatter - but it typically wouldn't be so severe as to lead to a wreck - which was definitely preferable / easier to drive. :)
As I mentioned, I'm not sure if the track has a magnet marshal, as there isn't a "tech" inspection before each race - there is just the honor system. And to be honest, with as tight as the racing normally is, I am not really concerned about that. I am more interested in getting this chassis/body type to handle as well as my '69 Mustang (C2450 repainted) and '69 Camaro (C2508 Lennox) do, as I am able to run at least mid pack with the occasional lower position "podium" finish with either of those cars, which is the reason for my request for "help!". :)

For reference - on the other two T/A cars, I did the same "prep" work on those as I did with this one (glued/trued the tires, broke in the motors, have the body screws roughly 1 turn loose) and with doing that, I am able to get either of those cars around the track in roughly 7.9 seconds verses the '70 Camaro where I am consistently in the 8.4 sec range, due to not being able to carry as much speed through the corners. (the car runs side by side with the others down the long front straight - so it isn't for a lack of top end speed)

All that being said, I truly appreciate the tuning tips for this car and hopefully it will be something simple like fixing the really washed out left side bushing and maybe a little lead up high that switches this from a car that is looking at everyone else's tail lights to one that is in there runnin' for position! (BTW Mike - it is encouraging to hear that in no-mag mode that the '70's are as good or better than the '69's, no I just have to get mine there!)

Thanks again guys!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:20 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 am

Bibbster -
I think I have a good handle on the super glue/oil trick (picking up some liquid super glue today - only had the gel stuff at the house) - but I will look for your posting as it never hurts to see more than one angle on something like that. :)
Appreciate the tip on the filing of the holes to allow for more free play. I was thinking of going the other way, with removing the threads off the upper portion of the screw - but the filing method would probably be easier. One question though - the pockets that the screws go down into is pretty close to the same diameter as the heads of the screws - do you open that up as well - or leave that as the "limiting" factor on how much the body can move?
Appreciate the feedback! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 am

Thank you for the link and the additional guide on the file technique / file size - I appreciate it! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby redlynr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Put a magnet from a 69 in your car... I suspect it will be right there with the rest of the cars...
redlynr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:04 pm

redlynr -
I will have to check the "strength" / thickness, etc of the magnets - but it didn't "seem" any weaker / thinner when I was working on it - but definitely worth checking! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale